Timing chain tension to rear cylinder head | FerrariChat

Timing chain tension to rear cylinder head

Discussion in '206/246' started by Adds406, Mar 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adds406

Adds406 Rookie

May 17, 2011
    Hi I was changing the gasket of the rear timing chain tensioner, the Spring loaded one between the heads, I took the cam cover off and marked the cam positions etc. The tensioner can out easy enough but I've hit a snag I can't get it to go back into the head. I tried it without the spring and piston just to offer it up and it will not go into position on, does anyone know how these go back in?

Thanks

2. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
  3. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Sorry should have refernced post page 20 & 21 in previous link.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Collapse the spring totally and lock it in place.

5. Adds406

Adds406 Rookie

May 17, 2011
    thanks fingers crossed it goes back, I will try again Thursday thanks for the photo links, has anyone got photos of timing chain with cover off as I would like to visualise what I'm dealing with

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The sprocket and shaft has probably tipped down which is preventing the sleeve from sliding back over it. I use long pliers or a rod with a hook in it to pull the sprocket back up so the sleeve will slide in over it. Thats the problem you're having.

7. yakxx21

yakxx21 Karting

Jun 29, 2013
    I had the same issue.....Once again after locking the spring and fishing with a piece of wire and about an hour I got the dam thing to go in.....its fidly but it will eventually go in

8. Adds406

Adds406 Rookie

May 17, 2011
    This is a huge thank you for all the great help and advice. When that tensioner resolutely refused to go back into the engine I must admit to a certain amount of swearing, followed by talking nicely to it then despair. The advice you all gave and the pictures were spot on the tensioner had gone out of line from the hole. I used a stiff wire and made a hook and after a bit of fishing I hook the tensioner and managed to line it up and it went in.
    I found the push rod/ Spring when all the way compressed wouldn't engage with the tube so I allowed a small amount to project out the tried again and it went in. Loud cheering and I think I shed a tear as well just the relief of it going back on.
    So this is to say Thank you to everyone.
    That assembly when it compressed off the car feels like holding a grenade I must admit to having great respect for it and keeping it in a metal container until I was ready to offer it up.

I'm so glad it's back on Thank you again

9. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    It certainly looks and has the potential to behave like a medieval weapon ;-)
    I remember being quite wary handling it while under tension.