Craig Ellwood Dino Ferrari | FerrariChat

Craig Ellwood Dino Ferrari

Discussion in '206/246' started by kaliforniakid, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    #1 kaliforniakid, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys-
    I am curious if anyone on this forum knows or owns the dino once owned by the famous architect from LA Craig Ellwood (Jon Nelson Burke).

I have always admired his architecture, the fact he drove his Ferrari daily, and it was a special order in Mclaren Orange(? can't confirm this but it was an orangish color). This is more of a curiosity of where it is now and a dream of one day of seeing it.

I did a quick search and only a few results turned up but nothing on where the car is now. Below are 2 photos- One is taken from the searched thread and other form web.

I think the orange is a fantastic color for a Dino and very period correct.

He also had a Miura in the day.

Thanks

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/392726-mclaren-orange.html
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    A dino that color is in the san francisco bay area, we called it salmon color, owned by a plumber. I worked on some of his cars, I think it was a Horshce or an old Rolls but I'll have to think some to remember his name because it has been while and get back to you. He was miserable to work for as he always thought you were ripping him off. An Irish plumber who did all the plumbing for Westlake, the subject of the song "Little Boxes.

clay

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #08062 in Porsche Signal Orange

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #5 4CamGT, Apr 30, 2016
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    saw it in person. as orange as the fruit.
    c and f car.

ConT likes this.
  7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Another Art Center alum here. Remember Ellwood coming to the school in the Dino a few times as the new campus opened. Forgot the color but remember covered headlights and chairs & flares.

Jeff

8. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    covered headlights can be seen in the above picture(under bridge)

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the contributions to this thread. I love Ellwood (and Lomax) and almost bought one of his houses a couple of times. I still keep my eyes open... Art Center may be his greatest work.

Truly in character that he drove a Dino.

One of my favorite ways to get to know some of the great architects: SCI-Arc Media Archive | Craig Ellwood Jerrold Lomax And Dan Dworsky

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ellwood had done the home of Art Center's president, Don Kubly, before he got the commission to do the school. Art Center had exposed ceiling mechanicals, all painted/anodized black. The first weeks of school in the new building identified some problems - baffles needed to be installed in the HVAC ducts because sounds were being carried from room to room, the small inner rooms had to get dropped ceilings because they were just way too noisy.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, but look at it...

FWIW, Wright couldn't design with concrete, and Neutra couldn't make a roof weatherproof, so he's in good company.

12. kaliforniakid

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    you guys are great! Thanks for the contributions. The Art Center College of Design ranks as one of my favorite architectural pieces from concept to execution. Great to get alum to contribute as well, thanks Jeff and Freeman.

Chris thanks for the links.

Edward and Clay- was the car you saw here in the bay area?

Matthias- Is 08062 Craig Ellwood's Dino?

How great would it be to have this car and this house! (No not mine unfortunately). One of the very few Craig Ellwood designed homes in the bay area. I do hope the current owner is aware of the history of this Ferrari.

20 Madrone Place, Hillsborough, CA For Sale | Trulia.com

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I can confirm the Craig Ellwood custom ordered this Dino in "Signal Orange (Porsche)" and it was delivered to him on May 24th, 1974. It is serial number 08062.

Shawn

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    erik, i saw it in downtown monterey at (RM?) auction. i remember how perfect that color was for the dino shape.

15. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    I own Craig's car and have contact with his family
    A very special guy , the "Cary Grant" of architecture

NYC Fred and Jack-the-lad like this.
  16. ODK

ODK Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2014
    Los Angeles
    @boxndoc1...dont be afraid to throw up a picture or two...sounds amazing.

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Any more photos of it when it was owned by Craig Ellwood?

Freeman

18. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    unfortunately the family does not know where old photos are there was a divorce
    and he eventually moved to italy
    i understand that he used his car a lot as a scale in front of buildings etc and was
    told that there is a Museum of architectural design in which there are photos
    along with his designs
    ill put some photos up over the next few weeks . its a great color on the car

19. dino clay

dino clay Karting

Oct 31, 2007
    san mateo, cal
    Full Name:
    clay cavanaugh
    sAN mATEO cALIF, DO NOT KNOW IFSAMR CAR BUT COULD THERE BE TWO THAT COLOR
    CLAY

20. Insert

Insert Rookie

Jun 19, 2016
    Craig was very proud of the modifications he designed for that car. I knew him after he had sold it, but his face always lit up when it was mentioned. He transferred it's special license plate to his best friend Bob Runyon's yellow Dino, who was likely involved with Craig getting the Art Center-related commissions. Bob was Art Center's most famous alumnus at the time. The two of them traveled to Italy together to pick up Craig's car. Them telling me that story, over bottles of Chardonnay at Bob's home, is one of my fondest memories of the two of them together.

NYC Fred likes this.
  21. kaliforniakid

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    #21 kaliforniakid, Sep 13, 2016
    checking back to this thread as I hadn't been in the 206/246 section in a long time. I missed some great contributions here and apologize for that.

boxndoc1 great to hear from you and that Craigs dino is in good hands. The fact you are still in touch with his family is quite amazing. One sometimes wonder if personal items such as this dino gets passed on to people who do not appreciate them and forgotten to time. It is reassuring that this is not the case.

Craig's work among others has influenced my career and education in architecture. His work is still very relevant which I say can't be true of many other architects. I've always had a thing for great modern architecture and italian sports cars. Cool to see others share this.

Insert- sorry I missed your post - if you are still on the board welcome to fchat. sounds like you had some good interactions with Craig, if you have other stories I for one would like to hear them. That goes for anyone else if you want to share stories please feel free.

Amazing how things tend to tie together. boxndoc1 - if you can have photos to share that would be fantastic but appreciate if you prefer not to.

my 2 ferrari's are blue, i should get one in orange.

when I was in Monterey 2 weekends ago I saw this at the auction and reminded me I had to check back on this thread, not the ellwood orange but cool.

22. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I'd love to see photos as it was owned by Ellwood. His mods look to have been really well done. If I owned the car I'd be tempted to leave it that way since it was done in period by such an important architect. Kind of like the Frank Lloyd Wright Lincoln!

Freeman

23. kaliforniakid

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    what a great self portrait

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dusting off an old thread! Are there any more photos of this great Dino?