cavallino price guide | FerrariChat

cavallino price guide

Discussion in '206/246' started by vrooom, May 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    was looking through the latest cavallino at barnes and noble today. interesting to see they have the price range for the coupe higher than the spider , with a down icon for the gts. this does not include the 206 which has its own listing.

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I haven't seen the magazine yet. Could someone post the data? Nice to hear that the coupe is getting it's due!

Freeman

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Dino 206GT 500,000 - 800,000
    Dino 246GT 300,000 (up) - 800,000
    Dino 246GTS 225,000 (down) - 650,000 (down)

4. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Cavallino is a fun magazine to read with a lot of interesting features, but I've never had much faith in its price guide for any model.

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    First $800k gets my GT! Act fast!

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh sure, NOW it's for sale.

And, I want a cut. After all, without me, you would still be driving minivans. :D

D

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    You get $100 plus some Zeiss binocs for bird watching.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#8 dm_n_stuff, May 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Isn't it just a summary of the ASKING prices in ads?

Therefore, useless

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    No, don't be silly*.

GTs are $800k now, right there in black and white.

*Yer interfering with my game here.....

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Let's just remember that they don't separate out Chairs&Flares models, which will skew the upper end of the ranges.

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Which would be worth more, a F&C GT or F&C GTS? What would you guess the estimate would be at a current auction if they were exactly the same colors and spec?

Freeman

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#13 dinogts, May 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cavallino's price Guida data is by Keith Bluemel, not a "Johnny come-lately" to the Ferrari world, and he has no particular axe to grind, unlike a seller trying to make a market.

The pricing analysis is prepared by Cavallino staff as of April 1, 2016, and the notes to the Guida state:

"Price Range: Indicated prices are current with this issue and are based either on actual sales, or on knowledgeable estimates of what a specific model should sell for if ever brought to market.

Low End: Indicates cars in generally poor condition. or with dubious histories, or with no competition history, etc.

High End: Indicates cars in excellent condition, or restored cars, or with proven histories, or with competition histories, etc."

Cavallino's Guida is a little different from what the Ferrari Market Letter's used to be (not sure what they base their pricing guide on now) which was based upon an averaging of asking prices with some adjustments where Gerald Roush and the FML staff considered necessary.

Having owned both a GT and a GTS for a while, but having sold the GTS and having kept the GT, I'd like to think that the market finally realized that in terms of general performance, the GT is a better car. Better rearward 3/4 vision, lighter, no leaky targa top and associated squeaks, no cowl shake, better handling, etc. That being said, the GTS has the option of being an open air (sort of) car, and is good for cruising from café to café with the top off, with the occasional long distance drive thrown in here and there.

In the end, my admittedly uninformed guess would be that any particular survey of the range of values depends upon what particular cars have hit the market and/or been sold during the period that any Guida or pricing guide covers. A cluster of truly outstanding Dino GT cars could have flipped the numbers.

My own Great Blue Herron . . . . the first $800k gets this thrown in! But you will have to pay the fines and serve the time under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Apart from the pragmatic reasons mentioned, humans react in an irrational way to beauty and emotion.

Freeman

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    They have always lacked that level of detail...

Lumping in ALL the carbed 308s for example...when we ALL know the NON CATs are far more $$$$

I guess like NADA guides, you add or subtract for "factors".....Flairs and chairs as an option, adds $100K.....LOL!

16. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Could be worse...you could use Hagerty which only seems to update their valuations quarterly, making them rather useless (except for comparing outdated values on one car model vs another). For example, a 1972 246GT vs a 1972 246GTS.

17. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    If someone offered me $800,000 for my car, I would turn it down. I need the car and the memories of me driving it through Italy in 1976. I don't need the money.

18. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Well said!

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    If someone offered me $800K for mine, I would sell it in a NY minute then buy two more GT's at $300K each and then build a garage with the remaining $200K!

Freeman

20. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I'd buy one in each standard color of an Alpine Renault A110 b 1600/1600S, another 246gt, AND spend the remaining $200,000 on a garage!!

Mark

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Maximus Dino! Fred

22. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    20 years ago, I would have laughed at this idea.
    10 years ago, it would have started to make sense as an idea for "old guys."
    Now, I'm starting to see your point.
    I'm sure in 10 more years, I'll wonder how anyone could think differently.