Balancing center nut wheels | FerrariChat

Balancing center nut wheels

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, May 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    How is the correct way to balance the L-series wheels with center nuts? My wheels are completely dismantled so I have all the splined hubs and shafts laying loss.

Best regards
    Peter

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    If I Remember Correctly: I saw this addressed, and it was suggested that an adapter with a 25 degree taper be used on the balancing machine for centering.
    My local hi-perf tire store used a tapered adapter, but not certain it was 25 degrees as prescribed but seemed to work well. Tire/wheels balanced out. With splined hubs removed, it worked well for me this way too using a similar approach. It starts with using a shop you're comfortable with to work on your wheels.

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks for the input. It makes sense to balance the wheel using a special tapered adapter "shaft" (Or a modified original splined shaft) thus installing the wheel on the balancing machine in the same way as if it was installed on the car. But I wonder if it good enough to balance the rim / tire by installing it on the balancing machine using the 5 holes that the splined bushing are bolted to? Hereby avoiding having to fabricate a tapered shaft? There are not many tire shops left with equipment for center lock wheels close by.

Regards

Peter

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Have you looked at the web site of the brand of the tire balancer, maybe they make adapters for these wheels.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I'm not sure where the issue is here. I have never seen a tire shop that uses a balancer that relies on the mounting bolts to locate the wheel on the machine. In every case they use the round center bore on the wheel to do the locating and have an assortment of different sized cones depending on the size of the hole. I regularly get center lock race wheels balanced at my local tire store and all they do is use a bigger cone that is part of the big assortment they have there. You may want to find a place that is used to working on race cars or even your Ferrari dealer if they do Challenge cars because this should not be a big deal at all. What I do recommend is to go to a place that is big enough to be able to handle the liability if something goes wrong. Small shops can't afford this so when I did the wheels on the Dino I went to the Porsche dealer and they did a PERFECT job. (a lot of Porsches now have center lock wheels with large center bores)

One other thing is if you choose to use stick on weights be careful on the rear because the lower control arms run very close to the inside of the rim and the height of the stick on weight can contact the arm if their paths cross (ask me how I know :))

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Peter,
    You need a shop that has the correct tapered adapters for Rudge type 42 hubs.
    You could try Aston Martin or Jaguar workshops.
    I can get some more details if you are stuck.
    Andrew

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Thanks to all for input. Basically I wanted to know if the rim and tires could be balanced without the splined bushing installed by using the 5 mounting holes (or preferable the big center hole as Rob mentioned). I have never owned a car with center lock wheels before so I have no clue about how the wheels should be balanced. I don't believe the local tire monkey has either. But I have a local Jaguar classic car dealer and workshop nearby so I will follow Andrews good advice and pay them a vist.

Regards

Peter

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Short answer is yes. I've done it both ways several times. Again - you need a shop that's good. I'd talk w them and see if they convince you technically that they understand what's up. Not too terribly difficult. My shop that helped me made an extra effort not to scratch. They spin very smooth.

Last point is consult a Ferrari or maybe jag Etc shop to get references.