Installing rear window chrome trim | FerrariChat

Installing rear window chrome trim

Discussion in '206/246' started by pshoejberg, May 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #1 pshoejberg, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    And now a question for the dare devils,,,,,how do you install the rear window chrome trim? I just installed the window glass this evening with success and decided to wait with the trim till tomorrow.....Then took the 308 for a drive and visited one of my 246 friends and he immediately told me that the trim should be installed into the rubber seal before installing the combined window / seal / trim assembly into the chassis......I find it hard to believe since I always regarded the trim as a lock profile that should be inserted after the glass and seal were in place. Any good hints appreciated (Except the "Call for a professional" advise that seems to be the general advise when you search this issue).

Regards

Peter

2. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hi Peter,
    According to a gent who has 'been there...done that,' the entire assembly must be inserted at the same time. Here is his comment at 08.58 PM on 07-24-2009 (Post #14, Thead entitled "Rear Screen") to a fellow Dino owner on this very subject.

Unless someone chimes in with a better idea...?
    Good Luck,
    Coop

3. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #3 celestialcoop, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Peter,
    Here is a more detailed answer to your question. At 04.16 PM on 04-22-2011 (Post #14, Thread entitled "The bid to paint my car"), Jim S. provided a tutorial on rear glass install.
    Note that he is five-for-five!

Standing by for updates,
    Coop

4. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    I think all the period windows were the same. My Triumph TR6 and Fiat 600 were.

As the window is installed the rubber gasket is compressed, holding the trim strip in place.

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    That's a fact then; the window goes in with the trim pre-installed. So out with the window again, argh! I assume the same goes for the windshield? Thanks for all the good help. This forum is great. Regards Peter

6. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Original Mini sedans are an exception. The 'chrome' locking strip for the front and rear windows is inserted in the rubber, using a special tool, after the glass and rubber are installed in the car.
    I am about to replace the strips in my '64 Cooper S...piece o' cake, by comparison!
    Coop

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #7 pshoejberg, May 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pulled out the window again....No big deal with fresh and flexible rubber. Actually I'm glad that I had the window installed first without the trim piece because I then new it fitted the hole after the extensive body work performed around the aft window profile. I must admit that it was a b**** to install with the stiff chrome trim in place. It is surely a job for 2 men and I'm grateful that my son has some more raw power in his hands than me!
    Regards

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You're right, your son has strong fingers.
    Having just done this (successfully) I'll add my 2c.
    The chrome trim might have to be bent slightly back into shape to fit the window and rubber.
    I had to start in the middle and work towards the corners.
    The first corner isn't too hard, roll the gasket a little to the outside and pull on the outside of the gasket to seat the trim in the channel.
    The second corner takes finger strength. Eventually, I had to use a small flat head screwdriver (plastic trim tools weren't rigid enough.) Work the gasket around the corner from the outside using the screwdriver, while wrapping one hand around the trim and gasket firmly to prevent it from rolling back off. When working the last of the gasket around, make sure it's fully seated around the trim before moving on to the next inch.
    Patience, you may need to take everything apart, take a break, and start over.