A Forty-Year Friendship | FerrariChat

A Forty-Year Friendship

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2GT, May 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #1 2GT, May 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today marks forty years since I took delivery of my first (and now sole) 246 GT, #04808. I first saw it in a showroom in Buffalo, N.Y. next to a quite ratty orange 206 GT. The salesman erroneously stated that the dealer had taken the car in trade for a Maserati. It was actually on consignment, and when I finally was contacted by the owner, and he finally agreed to sell, eight long weeks had passed. I've experienced all the highs and lows of Dino ownership: the sneers about its lowly FIAT provenance; the snapping clutch cables (called "linguini" by my good friend Bob Zambelli, a fellow F-Chatter); the dying Dinoplex; the remarks to the effect that the new 308 made the Dino obsolete; etc., ad infinitum. I waited over ten years from the time I first saw a drawing of the Dino Berlinetta Speciale in an MG Mitten ad in Road & Track (the ad has been posted in this forum several times) until I got my Dino. I carried a small black-and-white magazine photo of Sergio Pininfarina's prototype 206 GT in my wallet for years. For me, finally obtaining a Dino was an automotive dream come true. Forty years on, nothing has changed. I am known in my local community as much for ownership of my Dino as I am for my professional accomplishments. Sadly, I know that I will not have another forty years to enjoy this beautiful machine, but it will be with me until the end, no matter what. I don't know of another automobile that can command this kind of loyalty, and I am extremely grateful to have gotten an excellent example early on. I say to you all: "Carpe Dino!" Fred
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Fred,

Looks stunning!!!! I like the look of the 308 wheels on a Dino. I have a set that I'm considering putting on. What color blue is that? More shots?

Freeman

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Well done, Fred! I love long-term ownership stories. She is just as breathtaking today as the day she rolled out.

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Freeman, the color is Blu Sera. Matthias told me on F-Chat that only 58 Dinos were painted in that color. I'll try to post some single shots. I'm somewhat tech-impaired! Fred

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks, Bryan! Today feels like a family milestone to me. Fred

6. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Fred - congratulations!!! Getting ready to celebrate 40 years with 01296 on June 10th.... I was 12 years old in '76... Will never forget the day my Father brought her home.

Cheers

Pietro

7. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #7 2GT, May 10, 2016
    Freeman, Here is an interior shot. Over the years, I have had the seat cushions and seatbacks re-foamed and re-stitched, and have had the door cards, bulkhead and thresholds re-foamed, along with re-dyeing the steering wheel and mouse hair. Fred

8. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #8 2GT, May 10, 2016
    Freeman, here's a shot from the bad old days when I stored two Dinos and another car in my 2 1/2-car garage for the long northern winter. Fred

9. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Forza Dino, Pietro! Cent'anni! Fred

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Fred,

Your Dino and colors are gorgeous!!!

Freeman

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks, Freeman. I'm quite fond of yours too! Fred

12. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Ummm....that appears to be a little more than a "friendship"! ;)
    Congratulations, you have a wonderful car.

13. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thank you! Fred

14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    40 years... lovely.....

15. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thank you, Matthias, and thank you for "keeping the flame" for Dino lovers worldwide! Fred

16. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    A beautiful car and a terrific story!

17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks so much for your kind words. I felt that I owed it to my Dino to recognize the longevity of my stewardship of it. I say stewardship, because I know that it will live on as a work of art long after I have departed. Marking this day is truly a bittersweet experience for me. Fred

18. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Fred and Friend,
    Dopo quaranta anni, siete ancora inseparabili!
    Coop

19. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Senza dubbio! Grazie mille, Coop! Fredo

20. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    +40...

I wish you many, many more years of enjoyment.

21. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Great story. Pretty car. Congrats to you and here's hoping for lots more good memories to come.

22. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Your Dino looks as good as ever, Fred!
    The color is terrific and those wheels really add something refreshing to the overall impression of the car.

Your long-term ownership also means that you have something very rare in the world of Dinos: An original and unrestored car in excellent condition. I think it was wise to just re-dye the steering wheel and the mousehair dashboard. That probably helped to maintain the original look of the interior. Very nice.

Happy 40th anniversary! Wish you many more years to come!

Lars

23. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thank you, Fred, Mike and Lars. The Dino and I are ageing together, though I'm quite sure the Dino is doing it much more gracefully than I. Maybe it's the new suspension bushings from its 40th birthday renovation at Algar three years ago. They told me at the time that there was nothing they could do about MY suspension bushings! Life with these cars just keeps getting better. I took a young friend out in the car last weekend, and his first remark upon start-up was: "It smells like a car!" I told him that anything kept in the trunk for any period of time winds up smelling like a car, as well! Regards, Fred

24. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks for sharing the story and pictures of the car. It looks spectacular in blue. I think blue is becoming the new "red". I was fortunate to acquire a Dino a few years ago also and it is a car that is hard to part with once you have one.

Auguri e un altro cento anni.

25. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Congrats!!!, GORGEOUS car...always wanted one...that ship has sailed :(