The Future of Collectible Cars | FerrariChat

The Future of Collectible Cars

Discussion in '206/246' started by dino2X6lover, May 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    The following is an article published by well respected Ferrari broker Mike Sheehan. It was posted on Ferrari life by Vafa but I thought I would share it with the dino community. Do you guys agree with the future of collectibles?

CC

The Baby-Boomers, now in their 60s, are moving on
    The Collectable Ferrari market, like any commodities market, shifts with global socio-economics, demographics and time. Our long term clients are baby-boomers, born in the late 1940s, 50s and early 60s. Once in high school and then college in the late 60s, 70s and early 80s, their bedrooms and dorm rooms were adorned with road tests from Road & Track and Car and Driver featuring the then-new and state-of-the-art 275 GTB and GTS, followed by the 330 GTCs and 330 GTS, the Dinos and Daytonas and on to the Berlinetta Boxers.
    In October 1974 the world suffered through the first Arab oil embargo as gas prices rocketed from an affordable 30 cents a gallon to a then-shocking $1 a gallon in only months. The market for exotic cars imploded with near-new Dinos available for $5k - $7.5k and Daytonas at $15k. By 1977 the economy recovered, a few hardworking baby boomers did well and thanks to low prices and a booming global economy the collectable Ferrari market was born. We have been selling to that same world-wide demographic group of buyers since the early 1970s and still sell the same cars to many of the same demographic group today.
    Getting resigned to senior discounts
    We are now going through a major generational shift. Many of the people my age, the baby-boomers, are now in their 60s and most have "been there, done that" and are now leaving the collectable market. Most of those who wanted to own an Enzo-era Ferrari have owned one, or many, or conversely financially never-could own one. Additionally when one gets senior discounts one's priorities turns to business succession, retirement, insurance and health issues, 401ks, social security, kids, grandkids and Mediterranean cruises. Ferraris fall far down the list of priorities. The Baby-boomers are moving on.
    [​IMG]

550 Barchetta Poster
    The main demographic buying group has always been men in their forties and fifties. Today those in that age group were born in the late 1960s and the 1970s, went to high school and college in the 1980s to early 2000s and so their poster cars were Testarossas, 288 GTOs, F40s, F50s, Enzos, and the 550s and 575s. At the top of that food chain, the 288s, the F40s, the F50s and the Enzos have doubled and doubled again since 2011. Low mileage 288s are now trading in the $2.5m range, high serial number F40s in the $1.4m range, F50s in the $2.m plus range and Enzos now in the $2.5m plus range, each an integral part of what is now needed for the new wave of collector to complete "The Supercar Set".
    The last to the price-party
    The tide does not raise all ships equally or at the same time. The much-higher-production volume 308s, 328s, Testarossas and 550s were the last Ferraris to the current price party and doubled from 2014 to 2015. As the last of the all-6-speed V-12 Ferraris, the 550s doubled to the $150k range. While the 575 F1s are not considered collectable and have flat lined at the $100k mark, the few 575 6-speeds have doubled and doubled again from $100k to as much as $400k, demonstration that collectability is usually inversely proportional to quantity.
    Another clear sign of the demographic shift is that "collector car" is no longer synonymous with "old car". A select few near new supercars, the 599 SA Apertas, the 599 GTB 6-speeds and LaFerraris have doubled in the last few years. 599 Apertas have jumped from a list price in the $600k range to $1.2m and more today. The 599 GTB 6-speeds have jumped from a list price of $350k "ish" to $500k and the LaFerraris have jumped from a list price of $1.8m to $2.5m and more.
    [​IMG]

599 GTB 6-Speed
    Collectability versus quantity
    Meanwhile, back in the world of Enzo-era cars, the best of the best, the most desirable, the Coach built cars, the 250 TDFs; 250 SWBs, the California Spyders and 250 GTOs will always occupy the top of the Ferrari food chain. Sold new to movie stars, heads of state and captains of industry, the sleek and uncompromised lines of the 250s and the Coach built cars were penciled long before smog and crash safety standards, ABS brakes, traction control or engine management systems were on the horizon. Additionally the 250s offer a unique auditory and visceral driving experience un-paralleled by today's modern Ferraris.
    [​IMG]

250 SWB California Spyder s/n 2871 GT at Amelia Island - Gooding & Company
    The Enzo-era Ferraris have always enjoyed a global market, are relatively liquid, can be on an airplane for any part of the globe on short notice, have long been a pride-of-ownership asset, were built in very low numbers by today's standards and Ferrari isn't making any more. Witness the sale of 400 SA s/n 3949 SA for $4.4M or the sale of 250 SWB California Spyder s/n 2871 GT for $17m at Amelia Island last month, both sold to an English Diamond billionaire, again demonstrating that collectability is inversely proportional to quantity.
    The market shifts
    Further down the Enzo-era food chain, the higher-production-number 275 GTBs and GTS; the 330 GTC and GTS, Dinos and Daytonas, the Gold Standard of user-friendly and collectable Ferraris for the last four decades, find fewer clients and so prices are "off" substantially. Baby boomers have stopped buying old cars or restoration projects that might take a sizeable amount of their time left on this planet. Further driving down the old-Ferrari market, many of today's younger 40 and 50 year old buyers don't want and don't care about cars built before they were on the planet.
    Adding to the global demographic downturn, in the last two years the Euro has dropped from 1.35 "ish" €uro to 1.12 "ish" €uro to the dollar. The Cdn dollar which was 94 cents "ish" to the USD has dropped to .76 "ish" cents to the US dollar. The Aussi dollar has dropped from 93 "ish" cents to the USD to .76 "ish" cents. The British £££ has gone from 1.53 £ to 1.41 £, a more modest drop, but… as Ferraris are almost always priced in USD, the Brits, the Aussis, Europeans and Canadians, who collectively made up over 50% of the buying market, have left the ever-higher Enzo-Era Ferrari price party.
    Further adding to the softening market, global worries about a downturn in the Chinese real estate market, stock market and industry sector; combined with a frothy US Stock market; fear of an Italian banking system collapse; the threat of a Brexit and well-founded worries about the ability of global Central bankers to sustain the tepid economic expansion have all contributed to a softer market for the globally traded Enzo-era Ferraris.
    Newer, faster, safer
    Each new generation of cars is much faster, safer, and far more user-friendly. Today's sports car will blow the doors off the last generation's similar model, let alone a car decades older. What is nostalgic and desireable to one generation is merely old fashioned or obsolete to the next. A 246 GT may be a beautiful and thrilling car to own and drive, a 250 Lusso may be a timeless design, but neither are much fun to drive for any extended period and are dead slow by any modern standard.
    [​IMG]

Daytona
    Daytonas have long been used as the leading market price indicator of the higher-volume Enzo-era Ferraris. While it would be difficult to perform an analytical study, I would guess that the average cost basis among Daytona coupe owners is probably in the $250-350K range. So what if they are not worth last year's $850K, but rather today's $650K? The average owner still has a substantial profit with a free 599 thrown in on the deal.
    The next generation of collectables
    The younger generation doesn't want to live their father's dreams, instead they want the newest and the best. Only a decade ago I would never have guessed the 550s and 599s would become the next affordable collectables, but with only 3,600 550s and another 3,600 599s made, and only 974 US (and Canadian) 550s and 1,082 US (and Canadian) 599s built, they are the future. Today's middle-age buyer's dream cars start where the previous generation's left off. No one wants to date their dad's prom queen! While we will always sell Dinos, Daytonas and all the other Enzo-era Ferraris, today we sell far more 550s and 599s than Dinos. The market is a changing.

CC

2. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I think if you go back and look at his earlier articles you'll see that he's changed his tune quite a bit. From what I recall there was a time he argued that only Enzo era Ferraris will ever be collectible with the Possible exception of limited edition models like the F40,F50 and the Enzo...

3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    He's right about the trend and it really us a cliff of buying power. The question is the timing and what else is going on when/as it happens-which he mentions here with China, currency values, etc

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Take a look at this. A sign of the times?

Any decent Japanese car will be better than a 2000GT,

but will never look like it, or be one...

Regards, Alberto

Toyota 2000GT Coupe | eBay

5. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

"The younger generation doesn't want to live their father's dreams, instead they want the newest and the best. Only a decade ago I would never have guessed the 550s and 599s would become the next affordable collectables, but with only 3,600 550s and another 3,600 599s made, and only 974 US (and Canadian) 550s and 1,082 US (and Canadian) 599s built, they are the future. "

Plenty of these out there for grabs. Not rare, not collectible, and nobody thought they were until the prices arificially went up.

6. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Funny enough I was just looking at datsun 510/early skyline's earlier this week on the interwebs. I had a dream the night before that I restored the ten yr old '79 datsun 210 I drove in high school my dad handed down to be high school. It is amazing how these particular toyo's have skyrocketed-they must of asked Enzo how many they should build!

All prices go up artificially!

7. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    If you read between the lines, it suggests 1970's cars will go down in value... 1980's and beyond will go up...

Folks who yearned for testarossa's are just now in their mid 40's... like me.

I never wanted a dino, or daytona... Didn't even know what they were until I got on this board 10+ years ago...

I would kill for a 250gt... but thats because of Ferris Buehler ;).

I wanted a testarossa, 930, and countach. Own 2, one to go...

Bo

8. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Sheehan's right about one thing, I was born in 1970 and I'm not interested in cars "before my time". I owned a '67 Alfa Spider (aka "Duetto") for a year or two and while I appreciated it for it's beauty and soul - I did not enjoy the overall experience. It cemented the notion in my head - 'never again' will I collect anything built before the 80s.

The line about "not wanting to date your dad's prom queen" rings very true with this kid.

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I think there are some exceptions. I believe it has something to do with how well a car drives, reliability and how usable a car is. Porsche 356A's and Speedsters for example. Early 911's still seem to be popular with a younger audience. What about the Hot Rod and biker culture? There are some core icons that seem to be popular with collectors.

Freeman

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Sheean doesnt reflect on price much...

American cars from the 60's and 70's are still popular with folks as they are affordable. Even a restored car can be bought for 30-40k...

Ferraris from the 60s and 70s are a whole different ball of wax... You are talking 400k+$... That limits the market to uber successful folks, and the elderly :). The latter population is dying off...

Cars from the 1980's have not hit their peaks yet... They went up in value, but not a lot. Much of that has to do with the economy of the last 10 years - its pretty stagnant. If the economy picks up, the cars from the 80's should follow the same trajectory as those from the 60's and 70's...

A testarossa for $150k or a 308 for 60$k... is still cheap... A new vette can hit $100k...

I don't know what will happen with subsequent generations. Maybe they will be collecting electric cars and dreaming about lithium ion batteries and electric chargers...

But most everyone in my generation (40 something), has dreamed of testarossas, 930's, an countaches... since 7th grade. I could afford newer cars. I don't want them...

There were lots of cool cars in the 90's and 2000's... Look at Konnesig, etc. But somehow, my brain shut off after the 1980's.

Not once did I dream about owning a Konnesig, Buggatti Veyron, etal. My dream cars were empregnated on my soul and etched in testosterone when I was a teen...

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I agree that, generally speaking, a car lover isn't interested in cars built before he was born, but, as Freeman has pointed out, there are notable exceptions. Last year, I showed my Dino at a regional car show sponsored by an MG car club. My car won two awards (both people's-choice type, rather than based on judging by club officials). One award was called "
    Car You Want to Drive Home In." The other, more important award (in my opinion) was called "Future Sports Car Owners Choice." This second award convinced me that a timeless design will connect with multiple generations. For this reason, although I was born in 1948, I lust after two 1941 cars: the 1941 Lincoln Zephyr coupe and the 1941 Cadillac Model 62 Convertible. Perhaps this is a case of the exception proving the rule. Fred

12. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I totally agree with this and I think the Dino forum is a clear proof of this. From that I gather a number of the owners who frequent this forum are 40-ish so either weren't born or were too young to remember when Dinos were being produced. I'm 42 myself and almost bought a 246gt three years ago (before I got distracted with other cars). I have cars from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 2000s. Each was special in its era and offers something that is lost with modern cars. If I could afford it I'd happily own a 1930s Alfa or Bugatti grand prix car AND a Ferrari F40. To me there is a common thread that goes through these cars and I think a lot of others share similar views...

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Vintage cars are like costumes. We are only actors on the stage of life. Have a look at this Johnnie Walker/Jude Law video "The Gentleman's Wager II" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0REAVbooPkU

Who doesn't want this at any age?

Freeman

14. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    As a younger member of the forum, (I'm only 23), I would safely say that I'm probably the exception rather than the norm when it comes to liking older cars. I have a 308 myself, but most guys my age/slightly older are interested in the latest 911, Lamborghini Aventador or Ferrari 458/488. I do think that there will always be a high demand for the 60s, 70s and even 80s or 90s cars, as they are (relatively in some cases) limited production, beautifully designed, and offer something more than 0-60 in sub 3 secs...

15. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    +1

16. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    While they may be both old and slow, so-called "Enzo-era" Ferraris will always be high- priced, due to their (relative) rarity and, in the case of cars like the Dinos and Daytonas, status as "coach-built," as well. The general public may not know much about the works of Matisse, but his paintings never go for fire-sale prices! Fred

17. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .

Great to hear your interest in classics. When I was 23, my daily driver was a 1970 911E. I'm now 35 and still only drive classics.

Like you, I only know two other people out of 700+ Facebook friends ive know in my generation who loves classics. Most others think they are beautiful, but know nothing about them, have the preconceived notion they break all the time, would not consider them because they don't have airbags, and very few know how to drive stick.

When I go to classic car shows, people from younger generations are a minority (most of them taken there by someone they know who is older). Again on these forums, younger generations who participate are a minority.

As the older generations start to sell off their high end classic cars for various reasons, I'm hoping the younger generations will develop interest, learn more about these gems, and start to buy them. However, I'm not confident this will happen given the trends I'm seeing so far ....

18. ModificatoUK

ModificatoUK Rookie

May 9, 2016
    Sheehan has certainly changed his tune and he has long gone off-the-boil when it comes to predicting the Ferrari market. Loads of post rationalisation in that article because he is guilty of the most basic forecasters error. He routinely projects his own personal tastes, desires, and wishes onto the market.

A decade ago I predicted his "the only collectible Ferrari's are the Enzo era Ferrari's" was going to be proven as BS in the near term and it has. He claimed month after month that non-Enzo era cars were just used cars that would keep on depreciating due to the increased volumes so would never be collectible.

He totally missed the generational shift that has already taken place. I wrote about the bedroom poster effect and hot wheels collection effect combined with a new gernation. I also suggested that massive expansion of the global car market would render theories about production number increases as obsolete.

I am fifty and am only interested in Montezemolo era Ferrari mainly because I could never live with the shoddy quality of the older cars.

This passing of a generation is evident in the new events Ferrari is organising for more modern cars.

What I have observed over and over again is that modern series production cars depreciate to roughly 50% of their list plus fitted option prices then start to climb as it takes a decade or two for bedroom dreamers to realise their dreams. Some take longer if they were less loved in period but the magazines soon retrospectively re-habilitate reputations and markets adjust upwards undervalued cars hence the 599 starting to lift as we speak.

The special editions are something else entirely and being oversubscribed at initial sale they will only go one way as not only are they instantly collectible but as the market expands people will always covet the 'special' version.

Being invited to buy such a car from Ferrari now is to virtually guarantee a return on your investment and thus free use before you pass it on or Ferrari buy it back.

Finally we have to talk about the new 7year warranty and service included cars and personal configuration ordering now in effect.

People will increasingly be looking for 'their spec' in the secondhand / collector market. This will drive demand from particular customers to particular cars. I expect a lot of direct contact with owners and thus marque specialists really having to know the whereabouts of and detailed specs of everycar. Buyers will pay a premium to get a spec much like they had in mind when dreaming the dream and thus I predict the depreciation will be much less than the previous generation except for some really off the wall spec combos that should have triggered a visit from the taste police.

Time to hand the baton to a new generation for 'market letter'.

19. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Reading this thread makes me feel real good about tracking my 930. Also, I appreciate the fact that it's in driver condition and not a princess. If it goes up in value, great. If it goes down, great. Plan to enjoy the hell out of it. Will let my kids worry about resale after I am floating in the cosmos...

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I'm 45, born in 1971. I tried hard to like the older Ferraris. I bought a '71 Daytona, loved it for a few weeks. And after that, the novelty wore off. Steers like a truck, sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't. Just couldn't identify with it. I don't think I would buy a 275 GTB if they were 1/4th of the current price. I did, however, just pick up a '94 Porsche 928 GTS. Love it. Love it.

21. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Apples and tennis balls. Old Porsches get driven. Old ferraris get looked at... Usually. My 930 is 10x more fun to drive than the testarossa...

22. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Speaking of shows, I had a somewhat similar experience two years ago. I've always been very interested in Lancia Stratos and had been thinking of getting one but made a decision to get one at a show. I was at the Lime Rock historic festival concours and was chatting to an older gentleman who had a Lancia Aurelia coupe (only Lancia at the show) when all of a sudden a boy of eleven or twelve came out of nowhere and with a very excited expression said to the Lancia owner "Excuse me, Sir! Excuse me, Sir, is there a Stratos here?". It hit me then that if a twelve year old kid and fourty year old adult shared a passion for a car that was made before they were born (barely in my case) then it probably truly is a special car that transcends generations. There are plenty of others...

23. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Exactly, well said. Same feeling I had with the '67 Alfa. It was a crapshoot if the car would run right; it always needed something. Pissed fluids all over the garage no matter what I did. I felt extremely unsafe in it surrounded by modern cars in traffic.

Don't get me wrong, folks - I still love all of the old(er) classics - I just don't want to own them.

Another thing I've noticed in the past 5 years is a shift in the high-end Auction houses. It used to be that a Gooding & Co wouldn't take a consignment of a car less than 25-30 years old unless it was an Enzo. These days, you'll see them running a lot of more modern classics across the block. It's a welcome change, if you ask me. Auction an e30 M3 instead of another fricking Fiat Jolly...jesus. lol.

24. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The Fiat Dino was pretty obvious, as was Mika Häkkinen as one of the group of "pushers" at the finish (no pun intended), but was that Jenson Button as the helicopter pilot? Just caught a brief glimpse, but I think it was Jenson.

Any other motorsports stars in the Johnnie Walker/Jude Law video?

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Thanks for that.