Dino 246GT On Bring A Trailer | FerrariChat

Dino 246GT On Bring A Trailer

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, May 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    What's interesting in this situation is that BAT is the direct seller rather than a separate individual like on eBay. First and only bid at this point is a reasonable start. Not sure if bidding began at $0.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The doors are REALLY bad on that car. Really bad. Tools? wrong stuff, or at least partially wrong stuff, no jack? Books?

Already at $175K? Needing resto, and the obligatory books/tools/ jack, could easily run north of $100K to put it back together.

Even if I had the dough, and I don't, I think I'd pass this one up.

D

4. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    Doors do look bad. You could hide a lot of junk in there crossing the border.

But I love seeing Dinos I've never seen before. Each has its own unique history which I find facinating. Such an amazing car.

First bid still at $175k. Thanks for sharing

[​IMG]

CC

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Looks like an overall honest Dino with history. A Euro Dino that's in the U.S. legally has some plus value (IMO). You can see some DOT mods like the seatbelts. I can also see some of the issues mentioned. They don't scare me. I would look at the overall condition of the chassis, motor, gearbox and see if it's matching numbers or not (Matthias?), how fresh since a rebuild etc. Considering a non correct toolkit ($5K?), no books/manuals (($6K?), no jack ($4K?), repro Campys and assuming it drives great, I'd peg it's current retail value around $270K-$310K? I think Dinos right now represent great collector/end user value. This one photographs nicely and has a great look. Shame it has the wrong headlamp covers (too flat).

Freeman

P.S. Matthias, when did the thin bumpers transition to the thicker ones?

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

So that puts solid no stories no rust cars in the $375-400K range? And puts concourse cars where??? Yikes.

D

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave,

Where would you peg it's retail value?

Freeman

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Been out of the game tooooo long. Haven't kept up, at all.

I guess I'm wistful of the days when I bought mine for $42K after negotiating $20K out of the price for the repairs it needed to be roadworthy.

I mean, they are what they are. I don't see them as $400-500K cars, but the market buyers dictate price and if there are guys out there willing to buy at those numbers, then there are bound to be some sellers willing to let them go.

The entire Ferrari market seems to be in a run up/bubble. I can't see run of the mill cars sustaining the price they're currently fetching, 360's getting big premiums because they're three pedal, and Challenge Stradales are $200K more than they were a few yeas ago. These are not RARE cars. But of course, in the big scheme of things, neither are Dinos.

Beauty has always fetched a premium over mere mortal looks. The Dino is no exception.

D

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave,

You seem to still be passionate about Dinos. Any possibility of jumping back in?

Freeman

10. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Freeman,

Only if you can find me another $42K Dino. :D

Fixed incomes do not lend themselves to expensive project cars.

However, if you need an executive assistant... :D :D

And I'll never lose the passion for them, just the laser focus I had as an owner.

D

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dave,

I always have fun reading your POV. Too bad they're no longer $42K!

Freeman

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

thanks Freeman, I enjoyed the hell out of the Dino forum back in the day. Now seems that there are a ton of speculators/investors running up prices, and running down the fun of the marketplace. I know it's about the money, but when that becomes the locus of the conversation, then we've lost the car as a car, and it's simply an investment. That's sad, but it happens to lots of things, not just cars.

However, like the stock market, they go up, they go down, they go up, they go down a little less. rinse and repeat.

Right now, they're up, I'd be stunned if they don't correct (across the Ferrari Market except for the extremely rare cars)15% in the next 12-18 months.

Time will tell.

I have to be honest, I'd be a seller in this market.

D

13. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    it`s matching no.
    the bumper change was at #01250, so bumpers aren`t original to this Dino but worth a lot... :)

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks Matthias!

15. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Paging Dean..stat.
    Cheers,
    RE

16. Hugo Harris

Hugo Harris Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Hugo Harris
    Matthias, could I ask you to comment on Dino wheels. Some Cromodoras have "FIAT" script, some "Dino". I have heard the "Dino" rims were introduced later in the 246 production run, but do you know when exactly? I have a '71 Fiat 2400 Spider with period "Dino" rims. Do you think Maranello were fitting these OEM back in '71 to either 246s or Fiat Spiders, or were they fitted later?

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    the "Dino" rims were introduced after the Fiat Dino production finished, approx. beginning of 1972.... I don`t think yours have been original on your Fiat Spider, but can`t tell for sure....

18. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If BAT actually owns thus car, I would bet the immediate $175k bid is a shill.

It makes no sense that as soon as any of us see the car it already has this bold bid.

If they shill their own auction, who is going to catch them?

BAT auctions are anything but transparent.

Then again, it is not clear that it is actually a bid (there is no bid counter) maybe that is just their starting price.

The other thing about BAT is they never say if a car has a reserve or when it is reached. Very frustrating site to follow.

It is also interesting that the first few shots of the doors don't look that bad and then you see the real condition. Photos can show a lot but they can hide a lot!

19. Hugo Harris

Hugo Harris Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Hugo Harris
    Thanks Matthias. The rest of the car seems highly original but after 44 years and a number of owners there are no certainties. The FIAT funded production line at Maranello would have been in its infancy and the allocation of parts batches to vehicles was probably less formal in the early days than what we expect even from other manufacturers of the era. I'll keep looking into this business of Dino wheels. Mike Morris might have a definitive answer!

20. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    Side note, I have repro campagnolos including period correct michelins for sale if interested pm me thanks

CC

21. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    There is a bid counter, it says 1, it is just below all the pictures. This car is easily worth more than 175 and there is always a reserve unless it is specified as a "No reserve" auction, so they would have no reason to place that bid.

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Wow, are you cynical or what?

I'd bet the BAT guys are completely above board in ALL of their transactions, there's no reason for them not to be, right? :D

D

23. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

ok so what do we predict the bid will get to?.....

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #24 4CamGT, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    I think this Dino has a nice presence. It really photographs well. If I were looking, I would really consider this one for the right price. I'm sure anyone who is serious, is talking to the owner and would inspect the car in person. There's some negotiating points (rust/toolkit/books/wheels/seat belts/bumpers) that could bring the price down into affordable territory where an enthusiast "could" buy it. I bought my Dino this way and slowly bought the missing pieces as I could find/afford them. Somehow my Dino is more a part of me because I didn't buy it as a perfect finished car. Still not a perfect finished car. These cars are special. This Dino is special. I wish BaT and the potential new owner the best of luck!

Freeman

25. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Freeman. You forgot gas cap. :D

It has a modern (looks like a 360) gas cap.

Originals are scarce as hen's teeth.

D