Anyone know about this 4 valve Dino? | FerrariChat

Anyone know about this 4 valve Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino4, Jun 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Yes, it's my colleague's Dino.

Freeman

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Is/was that a 2.4L Dino motor at some point in its life?

I dunno, did he have to crap up the exhaust, too?

Beautiful paint job.

Nice hole in the engine cover.

ARRRGGGGHHHH. My eyes hurt, and somewhere a puppy dies when this gets done to these cars.

D

3. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    I believe he mounted the 4 valve heads from a later Stratos. Presumably the stock headers won't fit up to them so he had to make another exhaust system, and the hole will be covered somehow.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Interesting.

Makes me wonder...

Freeman.

Does this fall into your, "As the prototype reflected" kind of change to reflect the original intent, like headlight covers do? :D

Dear God, I hope not.

D

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I thought he bought that car with the 4-valve engine already installed.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Not buying or selling.

Yes, the way he bought it. Engine is based on the original #'s match block/gearbox. F2/Stratos 4V heads, special pistons, Stratos Weber induction etc. Puts out 270hp according to the original builder.

He's collected parts for the car such as a correct style muffler and deck lid. He's looking at options for the deck lid to clear the carbs other than a hole. The carbs on this Stratos 4V setup sit higher than the 2V. He's taken the stock fender lips and has subtly extended them to cover the 7.5" Campys and XWX's that are now on the car. You would never know unless someone told you. The way the factory should have done them.

I love the potential of this Dino and look forward to seeing it finished one day. Truly has the potential to being the ultimate performance Dino and if the deck lid mod is done correctly, it will be a sleeper.

The gentleman who owns it is incredibly humble but knows more about vintage Ferraris, Alfas, Maseratis etc than many if not most on F-Chat. He's also one of the most giving and sharing individuals that I know.

Freeman

7. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    If the factory did this for a special customer everyone would think of it as the ultimate Dino and it would be worth multiples of a stock car. Because someone else did it is frowned upon.

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I was going to do the exact same thing with my 4-valve engine and put it in my Dino GT but then I learned about the Stratos and had to go that direction. You can bump up a normal Dino engine to about 275 hp which is close to the 4-valve engine. With modern engine management I would think you could put out even more. Crank triggered ignition, fuel injection, mapped chip, etc. It would be fun to play with a spare engine and incorporate all the modern engine management available today. Maybe even a turbocharger!

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Talk to Kevin O'Rourke at Mototechnique about TBI on Dinos! I talked with the owner of this Dino today and said his dream would be to install fuel injection so it would all fit under the standard deck lid. That would be amazing!

Freeman

10. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hey Freeman, many thanks for your kind reference regarding your pal's 4 valve Dino we will be happy to help with any advise required regarding fuel injection, incidentally she looks great to an old " Outlaw " like myself ( his exhaust system whilst a touch raunchy and on the wild side draws one to the fact that this is not an originality Queen ;-} it's good not to live in a prison of conformism !!!! there is a place and time for that ......... which I guess is most probably when selling ;-}

As an aside, we've been busy prepping my 328 Dino ready for Mathias's Baltic Rally next week, our work has included fitting new seat runners as the old ones are shot plus replenishing the air con gas as we are promised glorious weather, we plan to post a running commentary of our trip through Europe so keep your headlights on full beam and your eyes' on your wing mirrors, cheers fellow Dino'ist Kev.

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    In my work, it's important to have the ability and open mind to sometimes be a "conformist" and other times be a disruptor. I think you and I sing to the same choir! I will share with my friend your offer. I'm sure he'll be contacting you!

Freeman