dino horn button | FerrariChat

dino horn button

Discussion in '206/246' started by Oengus, Jun 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Ive seen both the Dino logo and the Ferrari Stallion on old pictures of Dinos....

Is one correct over the other?

Thx
    chas

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Dino only!

The ONLY horse that appears on a Dino is on the ID plate. Everywhere else it is labelled Dino.

Years back Dinos grew horses and Ferrari badges all over them in an attempt to portray themselves as something they were not. Now things have come full circle and a Dino is seen as just that and (I'm gonna ruffle a bunch of feathers here) the 308GT4 crowd are jumping on the bandwagon calling their cars 'Dinos' which is technically correct but a title they have strongly denied and ignored for decades.

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    #3 GIOTTO, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Aren't the first 308GT/4's Dinos? They only had Dino badges on the nose then later had a Ferrari tech bullitin for installing the Ferrari nose badge. Educate me as I don't know a lot about these.

Freeman

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I cannot comment with 100% certainty if any 308GT4 left the factory with only Ferrari badges and not Dino ones. I do know that there was a bulletin for installing the Ferrari badge and that lots of GT4's did receive this change after the car left the factory. The GT4 was a little different in that the engine cam covers clearly had Ferrari on them and there were a number of Ferrari labelled parts on them much unlike the 246.

Interestingly I have seen period photos of early 308GTB body bucks where it is clearly visible that the depression on the hood was intended for a Dino badge. It is my understanding that this was scrapped before production to appease the US market who wanted the Ferrari name on the GT4 replacement.

My January 1977 production 308GTB has a few Dino bits on it. The two vents under the dash and the rubber bumpers on the front side of the doors say Dino on them while the same spec vents on the top of the dash have the horse on them. Looks like they had to use up some old stock and did so in locations where it could not be easily seen.

6. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Freeman, I believe that Series I 308 GT/4's were called Dinos, then it was changed to "Ferrari Dinos." In addition to the Dino nose badge, the early cars had (in the U.S.) larger rubber bumpers (the later ones were smaller, though still a bit larger than the almost non-existent Euro bumpers), as will as Dino Cromodora wheels with (I believe) Dino center caps. The second-series cars (Bob Zambelli had one) had 308 5-spoke star mags. The trend to emphasize the Dino lineage reminds me of the aphorism: "Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan." Fred

7. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    This is right. In Michael Dregni's book "Inside Ferrari" you can see a 308GTB mockup in the scrapyard. There is clearly a depression for the Dino badge.