shift shaft tube o-rings | FerrariChat

shift shaft tube o-rings

Discussion in '206/246' started by barchettaboy, Jun 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barchettaboy

barchettaboy Rookie

Nov 11, 2011
    Sequim WA
    Full Name:
    Darryl Fling
    Hello to all
    I am hoping that among the vast knowledge base here, that somebody might know, is it possible to pull the shift shaft tube out of the block with the engine in the car. I know it is to long and will hit the tube projecting from the firewall, but if the motor was jacked up so that it cleared said tube is it possible.
    I am pretty sure that it is, and has been leaking there ( from the tube to block o-ring ) as well as the tube internal o-ring for the shaft itself.

Any thoughts ?

Darryl

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I replaced my O-rings with the engine/transaxle in place. Of course you have to drop the bottom tranny plate to take the selector off the shaft. I did this awhile ago and it wasn't all that hard. You might look into quad o-rings as they seem to work better in a push/pull situation as in the shift shaft movement.

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Correct the shift shaft can be removed with the engine in the car although I cannot remember if it is necessary to disconnect the engine mounts from the chassis and tilt the engine a little for extra clearance.

With the shift shaft out I agree in looking into Quad Seals (lots written about them in the 308 section) and also replace the bushing that is on the end of the shift shaft as the rubber in them perishes and adds a lot of slop to the shifting mechanism. Also carefully inspect the shift shaft and look for any nicks or marks that may damage the seal when re-installing it. I polished mine using diamond paste while spinning the shaft on a lathe to make sure it would slide smoothly; worked perfectly.

4. barchettaboy

barchettaboy Rookie

Nov 11, 2011
    Sequim WA
    Full Name:
    Darryl Fling
    Thanks for the reply's so far, however I am not talking about the shift shaft itself, I already have that out. I am talking about the cast tube that traverses the engine sump, that the shift shaft runs inside of.
    on the Dino's there is a tube that is ( pressed ? ) into the sump the completely separates the engine oil from the any possibility of mixing with the tranny oil. It looks like there is an o-ring on both ends of it where it goes through the front wall of the sump and another where it goes through the rear wall into the tranny.
    But the only thing I have to go on is the one drawing that everybody uses, where it shows that there are apparently a couple of different designs.
    Anyway I have the whole tube version the spans the whole sump and it looks like there are serrations in the tube that make it stick in the back wall of the sump. and it has o-rings on it, the questions are they serviceable with the engine in the car.
    As it looks like it has been leaking where the tube leaves the front of the sump.

I know the tube will not fit pulling it straight out, as it would hit the tube welded to the back of the firewall, and it has a large head on it that would prevent it from going into the firewall tube ( as you do with the shift shaft itself ) So it would have to go over the top of it which means the engine would have to be raised and tilted enough to clear.
    So does anyone know if this possible ?

Darryl