A "best in the world" 246 GT for $350K? | FerrariChat

A "best in the world" 246 GT for $350K?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino4, Jun 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
  2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Anyone know what the "high bid" was on this car?

Car Details:1972 Ferrari 246 GT Dino

Sale Details:NOT SOLD at $0

Auction:H&H Auctions, H&H Duxford on Apr 19, 2016

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    A "high bid" could have come from the auction company. I think it's legal for them to bid it up to the reserve. Unless I knew who the bidder was, I wouldn't take a "high bid" as gospel.

Freeman

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's how it works, create an account.

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Uhh, thanks, George, I guess, but I knew that was what it said to do. However, I have never had to do that before using the Hagerty valuation tools, which I routinely use. I have several Hagerty policies so I was a little surprised to see the "create an account" instruction and I thought there might have been a problem with the link going through FCHAT.

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The two 246 GT's sold on this most difficult of market days.

s/n 1118 sold for 191,900 GBP / 262,980 USD with commissions;

s/n 3478 sold for 281,599 GBP / 385,768 USD.

Neither 308 Vetroresina met reserve.

Notably the following Registration numbers sold for staggering numbers:

WTF 1 sold for 20,700 GBP / 28,367 USD;

FU 2 sold for 152,700 GBP / 209,260 USD.

There must be a message there somewhere.

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    that`s very good money for both Dinos... as #01118 looks really wrong......
    Bonhams : 1970 Ferrari Dino 246 GT Berlinetta Chassis no. 01118 Engine no. to be advised

9. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    I have a policy with Hagerty as well, but anyone can register to use valuation tools. Hagerty is showing $475,000 for "the best" GTS, but I remember prices in the $500,000 + range not that long ago.

If you look at all Ferraris (and all collectible cars) it looks like they peaked in the fall of 2015 and have headed down a bit since then.

I don't think anything is going down to 2001 levels, but all markets correct, both up and down. Time is the great equalizer. At some point even an '85 Fiero will be worth something to someone due to rarity; all the other Fieros having disintegrated into piles of rust.

10. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    And what's with the Brits and these insane prices they pay for registrations anyway? For years I have been amazed by the prices for the oddest registrations in British car magazines. I don't even have vanity or historic plates. Just the good old $85 NY plates.

My theory is that they (at least the class that can afford $50,000 registrations) are so socially inhibited that they can only express true emotion through an avatar like their license plates. Hence FU 2 going for crazy money.

I once had an employee who had NY plates "ESN DREK". That means "EAT S**T in Yiddish. It was just the way he viewed the world. But at least he only paid $125. God only knows what an Englishman would pay for a plate like that.

11. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Unless Yiddish has another term for it, Dreck in German means dirt or filth. So maybe your friend's license wasn't as offensive as he thought. :)

12. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    You are right .The Brits have a facination for what they 'private plates'. The best reason I can give is that standard plates reflect the age of the car quite clearly,so if you drive,say a Range Rover reg in 2007,it looks much the same as today,but people will think,wow,thats a nine year old car. Buy a personal plate,and they would not know the age,and look on it from a different viewpoint. All these plates pass through the licencing centre in Wales,and the UK government is flogging millions of them and making MEGABUCKS. Nice work.