HELP...ignition won't turn | FerrariChat

HELP...ignition won't turn

Discussion in '206/246' started by need4speed, Jul 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    And my steering wheel is locked. This happened a couple of weeks ago but I was able to jimmy the steering wheel and the ignition worked. But it's not budging tonight. Anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Manny

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Firstly do not force the key! They break quite easily and force is not the answer. Second make sure you have nothing but the key. Heavy key chains can unevenly wear the lock cylinder. Now with just the key in the ignition grab a light hammer or other weight and just give the key a light hit (more than a tap but not a big swing) right on the edge so that the load goes longitudinal along its length. This light shock will align any loose tumblers in the lock mechanism and free them. This in combination with a jiggling of the steering wheel lightly left to right should free up anything that is giving you trouble. Try it a few times if it does not work the first time but this should get you going.

Bear in mind that your car is warning you of impending wear. At best you should get a new key cut or the lock may require a new cylinder that is a very big job on a Dino. Let's hope for just a new key :)

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Thanks Rob. I did that last night and again today after reading your reply. No luck. I just tried with my spare key and still no luck. I will try next squirting a bit of lubrication and repeating. I hope that does the trick.

Thanks again,

Manny

4. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    No luck. Will have to get it towed to a shop tomorrow. :(

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    PM sent

6. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    375+, please resend pm. My pm box was full. Sorry.

Update, my mechanic informs me that my ignition cylinder is cracked and I need a replacement. :(

The search begins. Any leads to tracking down a new one appreciated.

Manny