DIY help-oil pressure sender | FerrariChat

DIY help-oil pressure sender

Discussion in '206/246' started by solly, Jul 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    My oil pressure gauge has been acting up lately, and it was time for a new hose between air filter and airbox, so I removed airbox and got the old hose off only to realize I'm going to need to remove rear wheel and inner fender to actually remove the canister filter. Which I will do as soon as I'm done "resting" from this afternoon's wrestling with the Dino, or when my 6 pack is gone, or when Champ comes over, whichever happens last.

Anyway- 2 questions

1) How on earth do you remove the old sender? It's buried in the "V" between banks, I know there is a nut attached to the bottom of the sender that I must get a wrench on, but I can't even see it, much less access it. Special tool needed? Clawfoot wrench? Go out and buy a really long adjustable wrench? Any tips greatly appreciated. Also- the new unit I got from Superformance came with an adapter to increase the thread size. Is this normal?

2) While rummaging around back there I found a ground strap attached to the firewall just behind the blowby canister (driver's side of engine bay), but the other end of the strap is just hanging there, attached to nothing. Can't find this in any of the TAV's. Anyone know what this ground strap is for? It may have been hanging there for the 16 years I've owned the car. Just want to make sure whether it needs to be attached to something or not. I have removed my air pump and installed an aftermarket alternator (don't know if that is germane or not).

Any help greatly appreciated. I was hoping this whole thing would be a 2 hour job. But nooooo. At least I got to drive it yesterday and Friday:)

2. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    #2 afer, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Steven: I'm not an expert but maybe I can help.
    1) yes, as you can see in the picture, is a nut in the base of the sender and you don't need any special tool. As you can see in TAV 14 (in the spare parts manual for my L serie), the sender attach not direct on the engine. It is and adapter (part 62) that I think is the one Superformance sent you with the sender.
    2) I think the strap is the ground for the engine. You need to attach it to the left corner of the front V.
    Regards, Alvaro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login