New tires wandering | FerrariChat

New tires wandering

Discussion in '206/246' started by LARRYH, Jul 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I just had new tires put on my Dino used new XWX michilins ... Car now seems to wander a little at high speed say around 70 or so did not do it on the old XWX tires which I changed out because they were 12 years old , the tire inflation is 35 ...cold....
    No vibrations or pulling I can let go of the wheel and car goes straight with zero vibration any ideas?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    How old are the "used" new tires? Perhaps the position in which they were stored has affected symmetry or contact patch. Maybe switching positions on the car will correct the problem. Also be sure that road camber is not influencing the "wandering" perception.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#3 dm_n_stuff, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe too much negative camber. Did you have them do a fresh alignment when the new tires went on?

Too much air in the tires will do that as well. I don't have my Dino anymore, and don't recall what they recommend, but here are the Ferrari Tech notices on tires and suspension from Ferrari from the early 70's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    #4 LARRYH, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    I did not mean to imply the tires were used they were not they were new
    the new tires were fresh new tires made in the last several months purchased from a national supplier of tires...

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    THanks I did not do a fresh alignment with the new tires but the old tires had very little wear and i had an alignment with those tires in the last year ,... (probably a few hundred miles ago)
    I also checked the DINO specs and have since lowered the air in the front tires to 28 psi per the specs... If that doesn't do it I think i will have them do a realignment ...
    I had ruled that out since i exchanged barely warn tires of the the same brand for new but maybe..

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I suspect the tire pressure will fix it up.

Let us know.

D

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Tires I recently bought from England did the same thing. It felt like the rear of the car was on ice. They are very sensitive to pressure. Once I adjusted pressure they were just fine.

Where are yours made? I think mine were from Slovenia or Slovakia or somewhere like that. That was a bit disappointing.

8. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The new Michelin XWX are made in Serbia.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    believe that is correct ..

10. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    that is a good description..... you know after driving it today i was looking at in the garage and noticed the tires looked overinflated a little it is around 92 out and i drove it at 60 to 70 mph or so about 30 miles so when they cooled down I checked the pressure wish i had checked them while they were hot ..

11. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Has the tyre pressure fixed it?

It does sound like it could be a pressure issue.

The 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX | Longstone Tyres that we are currently supplying for the Dino, are made in Serbia, but these are still a Michelin tyre and they come with that guarantee of quality that you get when you buy a Michelin.

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Thanks for the advice I did lower the pressure on all the tires and finally got a Chance to give it a nice drive yesterday and she drove great. I was really surprised at the difference 4or 5 psi
    Made on this car..
    LarryH

13. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  14. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

what pressure did you end up going with
    Im curious
    someone marked in my owners manual 31 rear 27 front
    michelin xwx

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dougal,

It's great you're concerned about your customers! That's rare these days! 🙂

Freeman

16. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #16 UroTrash, Aug 2, 2016
    I'll admit, I'm Dougal's biggest fan.

Prices. Service. Fast delivery*. Free delivery (at least when I ordered).

*Ordered on Saturday, sitting by my front door on Wednesday, from England to South Carolina. I kid you not. Cocker never came close to that and they would not give me a date code.

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    In order not to start a new thread for a minor point, I'm adding this here.

These tires, from Serbia that several of us have, to me seem different in one other way.

No matter what I do to keep them clean, it seems within a few days they develop a brown filmy coating as though they are outgassing something.

Can happen within hours if in direct sun.

Anyone else notice this?

18. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Pretty normal, my michelin ps2 do the same thing and it's a chemical that is supposed to extend tire life making it's way out and reacting with air.
    If you read tire threads, they say to just clean it off it the appearance bothers you.
    Some tire lotions (potions) claim to reduce or eliminate it. I've been using the meguiars tire gel which seems ok.

19. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Interesting . like I said I just lowered the air pressure to the pressure recommended on the car and it solved the problem.. the car drives like it should..Strangest think ever . it only off by 4psi...but a world of difference...

20. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #20 Longstone Tyres, Aug 18, 2016
    Thank you for your kind words chaps. We do our best and we enjoy what we do. i think you can just be fair in pricing, do things as best you can and enjoy doing it, and be happy to have happy customers.

Please tell your mates.

The difficulties with tyres now compared to the way they historically were made is they have to be made of different materials. so we don't snap the ozone.

Historically we used to make tyres out of anthrax, plutonium and cryptonite so that it would last for ever, and never deteriorate. then what we did is put them on our cars and then rubbed them against some tarmac to grate them into a fine dust which then went into the water supply. not really ideal because it would stay there for ever. And what do you do with a tyre carcass made of cryptonite, anthrax and plutonium. You've got to bury it, and it will be there for ever.

So today we have to have out tyres made out of something that is more sustainable. Now we all like to laugh along with Jeremy Clarkson and pretend we don't care if we live on a land fill site because we use so many plastic bottles, wrapping & crytonite tyre carcasses . But we do have the ability to make tyres that work as well and are more sustainable with modern science and stuff; so we should. If you can be greener without it hurting then we should.

On a modern car; who cars if a tyre is perished when it is 7 years old. who cares, it's bald by then and has been changed so it doesn't matter. but on classic carts that get used sparingly things are different.

DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR TYRES!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway; I'm all revved up and excited. I have just fitted some new Borrani's on my car Phwarr!

21. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I ended up with 28 or 29 front and 30 rear that's at 70Degrees
    tHe installer had 34 all around which did not work

22. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    typical symptoms with mid / rear engine (weighted)cars... when "bubba" installs tires on a car he has no clue about and inflates all tires equally...fronts do not carry the same load as the rears as a result the response from a light load and over inflation characteristics become unequal front to rear...check the recommended settings in owners manual and start there... depending on car I may have as much as 10psi more in the rears... I set the rear pressure first then adjust the front pressure until I get the balance I want

23. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #23 246tasman, Aug 19, 2016
    "Anyway; I'm all revved up and excited. I have just fitted some new Borrani's on my car Phwarr!"

Lovely car Dougal.
    So you didn't go tubeless to save some weight out at the circumference like I reckon Colin Chapman would have done now it's a common and reliable tweek?
    We have about 12 Elites racing on our tubeless alloy Turrino rims (and probably your tyres) with no problems.
    Will

24. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It sounds like I could actually lower the front a little they drive great now so I did not change it but truthfully it looks like I could lower it a couple of ponds....

25. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #25 Longstone Tyres, Aug 23, 2016
    Tubeless wire wheels scare the b'Jesus out of me. I personally do not think they are fit for purpose. i have had to fit inner tubes in too many because of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gce9-VU_X_s

I'm also not really a fan oif fitting after market alloys on cars like this. nearly every proletariat classic car i see at a show these days is fitted with a Minilite. I suppose those Lotus/Cooper wobbly web wheels would have been cool; but i like https://www.borrani.com/ My main interest is my pre war Frazer Nash special, but other than that i have been craving a car with Borrani's and i think there are very few cars that look as good as an Elite. specially mine.

Anyway, here is the exciting news. just the other day a lorry turned up from pirelli and delivered these