Mecum's 1972 Dino 246 gts at Monterey 2016 | FerrariChat

Mecum's 1972 Dino 246 gts at Monterey 2016

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Jul 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

On July 15, Mecum sent out an email promoting their auction of a 1972 Dino 246 gts, Serial # 03792, which they indicate was a 2016 Platinum FCA National Preservation Award Winner, with only a claimed 13,600 miles. Now I'm NOT going to engage in nitpicking, but for some reason, maybe it is my poor eyesight, it seems to me to be sitting a little high, in both the front and the rear, but especially the rear. Maybe the springs haven't gotten around to sagging as much as they did on my old 1972 246 gts?

What do others think?

Here's the link:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0816-244550/1972-ferrari-dino-246-gts/?utm_source=InfoNet+Master&utm_campaign=b51d4498fd-Weekly_7_15_167_15_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa410e9114-b51d4498fd-112177453

2. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I just looked at Ron's Monterey 2016 auctions thread, and now it seems to me that the Dinos in the photos ALL look like they are on stilts, as first mentioned in vrooom's (Danny Z) post.

3. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    mark, it could be that cars that replaced old konis with new seem to sit higher. i know mine did . had to have a little work done to bring it down. dz

4. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    A shock should not affect ride height unless it is a super high pressurized gas type, and even then it is minimal. New springs or springs that are too long or stiff could do it, however.

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This is a special car.

I have not had time to post a proper response, but will in the coming days.

This will be a very interesting Dino to keep your eye on.

Shawn

6. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I saw the car at FCA Nationals and it certainly looks like a fine specimen. The only thing I would question is why consign it to Mecum? The same auction house that sold 00468 a few years back!!!

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The irony of Fchat

"I'm interested in buying car X at Y dealer"

"Don't do it without a PPI!!!!"

"I'm interested in car X at an auction"

"Buy it. The pictures look nice".

:)

8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

ha how true is that

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I saw the car at Ferrari of San Diego service dept. It basically is a one owner car as it went to the owners brother when he passed away. Mileage is correct, my friend who is the sales manager called me to see if I would be interested in buying it. I looked at it and made an offer reflecting what it would need for restoration. Being all original it was better for somebody who likes the patina etc. my offer wasn't accepted and Gary Bobileff bought it for $230 I was told. He had a customer for it and I don't know what he got but I was told $280. It then got cleaned up to win a preservation award and now crossing back to the west coast for auction.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Winner of Preservation Award at 2016 FCA Nationals at Columbus/OH. Very genuine and honest car. It belongs to a collector in Texas who got it directly from original owner's estate, not CA. Have seen it personally in Ohio in June.

Marcel Massini

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Problem is with rust, as anyone who has owned or persued a Dino knows. It hides in many places.

Never understand the value of one owner. For me if the prior owners are of quality who cares. The one owner car can be just as much a mess or not as a five owner.

With all that said, I would love a GT. Where's my FL lotto ticket, gotta go check.

12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Brokered through Bobileff

13. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006

Just out of curiosity. What needs to be restored on a car with 13,600 miles on it that won a Preservation Platino Award and The National preservation Award? It is interesting to note that there is no mention of a Concorso Platino Award. In the Massini report under auction documents, Massini lists a 97+ platinum award but does not specifically state whether that award is a platino preservation award or a platino concorso award. In the Mecum description it is listed as a preservation award. Was this the first year that you had to choose whether to enter your car for ether the platino award or concorso award?

14. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Did you mean "choose whether to enter your car for either the PRESERVATION award or CONCORSO award"?

15. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Yes, you could not enter your car in both categories. You had to pick one or the other.

16. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    No matter how many times I proof read, I still made a mistake.
    Thanks for catching it. Yes, I meant either Preservation or Concorso.

Thanks for the answer. If Mecum wanted to make more money on the auction for the car they should bring up the point that the rules did not allow the owner to apply for both awards, Preservation and Concorso Award.

17. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    I for one would like to know what work was done to transform it from a $230K car to a $400K car.

And I don't know how anyone could live with those discolored carpets. Cars get restored for a reason.

18. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    #18 tx246, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had a good amount of time to stare at this car. IT IS AMAZING!

Yes, it is cosmetically tired and shows lots of age. BUT, it also is clear this is a Dino that hasn't been messed with. It has had some mechanical work done to keep it safe, but remains original. I am not surprised it won the Preservation Award at Nationals.

Dino's like this do not really exist in todays world. I have seen lot's of Dino's ad lots of cars claimed to be original, but this is real deal. This is a car that deserves to remain as it is today and not be restored. This is a Dino for someone who values something more than something shiny.

The ownership story is pretty interesting too. The person who bought it lived in CA, he wanted a newly released GTS so bad, that Hollywood Sports Cars found this Dino in Canada and had it shipped to CA. It is an extremely early GTS. Almost all of the miles were logged on long distance drives from CA to Wisconsin/Minnesota area.

When driven locally, he would always park it at the closest Church (who would steal or damage a car in a Church car park?) to area he was going to and then walk the remainder of the way. Odd, I know, but his rationale was he didn't want people to see him and think he was flashy, and showing off. It was a car he treasured and kept safe.

When he passed away, his brother cared for and stored the car on behalf of the Estate. It wasn't until the brother approached the Ferrari dealer in San Diego that it surfaced again. This is where OMGJON saw it. At that time, it was showing the signs of storage and not cleaned.

Bobileff took watch of the car and made some road worthy type of repairs. Gary posted a vague thread here on F-Chat several years ago about the car. After lots of comments, including by me, it once again stepped out of sight.

Given the signs of age, the Dino has been very carefully cleaned with attention to preservation and caution. It is drivable, everything works and even the clock functions!!! :)

This is most definitely a Dino that would be awesome to drive it as it is and pull up at any car show. Who needs a restoration when you can have a car that has rightfully earned a Preservation title?

While being detailed, there was a small piece of brown paper seen in Targa area, trying to carefully remove it, the following was found:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
  20. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I am not all about the hype that has become the trend. I think old things like this are cool and can only be original until restored.

Honestly, I would love to have this car. No doubt I have a bias, but it isn't because of some trend.

Shawn

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Classic cars today are like stamps or coins. It's not about the car anymore. It's just what is rare or considered "more valuable"

The idea of actually driving a classic car has died. It's just a commodity now.

22. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Yes. But if you owned it, would you drive it or try to keep it "original only once". Maybe have a restored car to drive and an unrestored car to ............?

23. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    To answer simply, I would not do anything other than do a simple safety update. This has pretty much already been done.

Shawn

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    After looking at the pictures, I stand my case.

This is a car for some one who wasn't wanting the shiniest Dino.

This Dino is awesome and amazing, compared to "Original" cars we all here about.

I think the previous "carpet" issue has gone away, based on these pictures.

Once again, this is a Dino that has been cared for in such a way we would all love to do. It now reflects a careful cleaning. I wish I could bring this back to TX, where it belongs.

Shawn