"What'sa behind me"...I'd occasionally like to see. | FerrariChat

"What'sa behind me"...I'd occasionally like to see.

Discussion in '206/246' started by UroTrash, Aug 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I'll be the first to admit, my Dino's side mirror is superb for monitoring the engine air intake scoop for the entrance of small birds, etc.

And, the inside rearview does yeoman's duty in monitoring the engine cover vents for flames indicating the ever present menace of auto-flambé, for which these cars are so noted.

But, occasionally, I'd like to actually see what's behind me.

Call me crazy.

Anyway, has anyone tried a cheapo suction cup mirror on the inside of the windscreen?

Universal Car Truck Mirror Interior Rear View Mirror Suction Rearview Mirror 1pc | eBay

2. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Honestly, nobody wants to see out?

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I find that the central interior mirror does a great job of giving a view out the back and I always assume there is someone in my blind spot so I regularly do shoulder checks. I find that I rarely would benefit from a door mounted mirror and I am hardly ever surprised to see someone overtake me that I was not already tracking in my mirrors when I drive. That's just me maybe but years of racing has taught me the value of regular instrument checks and being aware of your surroundings at all times of which the center mirror does a plenty good job for me.

4. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I can see fine. And when my original door mounted side mirror is properly adjusted I have no blind spot on my left.

5. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    May I ask how tall you guys are?

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That is what the PASSENGER is for.

Everyone has a job to do. yours is to pilot the ship, the passenger's is to make sure you have room to pass.

Oh, and I could see a little bit out of each mirror, not enough to be comfortable, be enough to avoid being hit by a tractor-trailer. (I'm 5'10"-ish tall.)

YMMV.

D

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If I scrunch down, the rear view is passable. Maybe these cars are made for peep 5'6" to 5'8"?

Side view is still a disaster.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Perhaps you need to mess with the tightness/position of the inside RVM. As I recall, it had a fair amount of movement, but I also seem to remember fussing with it, A LOT, to get it to go to, and stay in, a useful position.

D

9. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Slide your seal all the way back and drive with the tips of your toes and fingers. That way you may improve your view to the rear. :D

D

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I am 5'8, as was Colin Chapman. He thought anyone taller was abnormal and didn't build cars for them. I fit perfectly in all his cars, GT40s, and Dinos.

Just kidding. Maybe someday someone will develop wireless, unobtrusive rear cameras and screens that pop down from behind the dash.

Andres

11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    If the door mirror has been mounted in the wrong position it can render it nigh on useless. One of my cars had a door mirror that was mounted too far back (almost midway blow the quarterlight) and I struggled to see anything useful in it and had to contort myself to do so. When I had the car restored I had the mirror mounted in the correct position by the front lower corner of the quarterlight and it was a transformation in terms of rearward vision.

12. ODDY

ODDY Rookie

May 7, 2013
    #12 ODDY, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I brought an aftermarket mirror and made an attachment to the original support bracket.
    It works a treat, and the original mirror can be reattached whenever. Only issue is folding down sun visors interferes with the wider mirror. No problem for me as at 193cm I never use them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #13 UroTrash, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting. It seems there are two styles of rearview.

Maybe the style pictured above has a better angle than mine.

It appears to have an arm that drops the mirror down a bit, where mine bolts directly into the black housing off to the side.

Difference shown here, photo courteous of PO who shall remain nameless.