Monterey 2016 - What are you up to? | FerrariChat

Monterey 2016 - What are you up to?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino246gts, Aug 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #1 Dino246gts, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought it might be fun (interesting) to share a thread on what we are all doing this week in Monterey with a picture or two.

For example: I headed up to Cambria on Friday for 3 nights and am leaving Monday AM to Monterey. Just checked the latest fire report. HWY 1 is open as of 8 PM Sunday night so I’ll be taking the coast route.
    I could smell the smoke from Big Sur in Cambria, and this is what my car looked like on Sunday morning in Cambria.

For those of you heading up the coast route later in the week, if you are hungry in Morro Bay and want a big sloppy burger try the Flavor Factory. Nice big parking lot and incredible sloppy burgers.

If you are hungry in Cambria try The Café on Bridge Street. Wonderful sandwiches and salads. Owned by the same people that use to own Sebastian’s by the Hearst pier. Parking not quite as good….small lot, but parallel parking on the street.

The places don't look like much from the outside, but the food is fantastic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #2 Dino246gts, Aug 15, 2016
    I checked the cal fire website this morning which said HWY 1 was closed and then called the fire info phone number just to be sure the website was up to date. Ended up driving up 101. I would suggest if you are planning on HWY 1, check the website or call the number before you commit to HWY 1.

Soberanes Fire Updates - CAL FIRE Incident Information

831-204-0446

I did stop by the "Once Upon a Tyme" watch/clock store at the north end of town before heading out the south end. If you are interested in watches/clocks, they have a nice assortment of relatively inexpensively priced vintage timepieces.

3. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #3 Dino246gts, Aug 16, 2016
    So I headed out this morning to go to Automobilia where last year I bought a Scaglietti Dino body parts manual. Well, I had to. Matthias just happened to be standing next to me as I was looking at it and said "That manual is in really good condition". What else could I do?
    So I pull in the parking lot this morning about a half hour before opening and it looks kind of deserted. 5 minutes later I hear the roar of engines and in pulls The Quail Rally. After looking at the cars I went inside.

4. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    For some reason Fchat isn't allowing me to upload any more photos. Maybe I overdid my limit. Is there a limit?
    I drove to Casa Ferrari where they are setting up for the opening tomorrow and then I went to the Concours on Ocean Ave in Carmel and took some nice photos there.
    Sorry!

5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    thanks for your pictures so far, yes I think there is a limit to upload pictures if you don`t have a certain Fchat membership...

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In the Ferrari Discussion section (General Forums) I had already started an extensive thread about the Monterey madness, beginning with last Saturday's open house at Canepa up until this morning's Quail Rallye and the Carmel Concours. Dozens of Ferrari photos including many Dinos as well. Check it out.

Marcel Massini

7. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #7 Dino246gts, Aug 17, 2016
    Thanks Matthias
    That's why I signed up for a Silver membership. Under paid subscriptions, it says, "6) No attachment limit".
    But it seems I was able to download more pictures this morning.

Hi Marcel,
    I didn't realize you had started a picture thread. Great pictures there!
    I wanted to start a "what are you doing thread with pictures" in the Dino section because I feel such a connection with the Dino crowd. I will check your thread first and try not to duplicate pictures. Thanks for letting me know about your thread.

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    cool... thanks!

9. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #10 Dino246gts, Aug 17, 2016
  10. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Thank you for posting your pictures. I'm enjoying Marcel/Wayne's thread, but appreciate that you're sharing pictures of other interesting marques and events. Bravo. Please keep posting!

11. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Thank you so much for your kind comments. I, too, am enjoying Marcel/Waynes thread. I did start this one without knowing about theirs. I thought we could all share on this thread about what we are all doing with pictures. I do check their thread before I post so I try not to show the same pictures. And as you mentioned, I do show other marques. We are all car nuts and therefore most of us will enjoy anything automotive.
    Tomorrow it's off to Carmel to see the Pebble Beach cars at noon and then in the afternoon to Retro Auto. And if I have the energy, Russo and Steel in the evening.
    Pictures to follow. It's amazing what you can do with an iPhone.
    Thank you again!

12. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #15 Dino246gts, Aug 18, 2016
    I got to Carmel at 10 AM from Mecum's..... I thought it would be 2 hours before the Pebble Beach cars were to arrive. It took me 20 minutes to find a parking place 10 blocks away. The cars started arriving 10 minutes after I got to Ocean Ave.
    The first picture is the street before the cars arrived. The second to last picture is after the cars arrived......crowded to say the least.
    And the last picture for those of you interested......3 Paul Newmans at Fourtane Jewelers.

13. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #16 Dino246gts, Aug 18, 2016
    From Carmel and the Pebble Beach cars, it was on to Retro Auto.
    The first 2 cars I saw were in the parking lot right near me. I almost didn't notice that Lambo, it was so well camouflaged. And the LFA......you don't see too many of those.
    Then in the parking circle at The Inn at Spanish Bay, a few more cars. I had to google RACEWFE but it is an interesting story.
    I found the outside more interesting than the inside at Retro Auto, but it was free, so I am not complaining.
    Did you notice the price on Paul Newman's race suit. Anything with his name on it is expensive........except his salad dressing.

14. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    #18 Dino246gts, Aug 20, 2016
    So I started off the day with Legends in the morning.

2 long lines to start the day. The first line was my fault as i missed the turn for the spectators entrance and ended up in line for the entrants. That added 45 minutes to my travel time. I felt sorry for the entrants that had to wait in the line I shouldn't have been in. By the time I made my U-turn to go back to the spectator entrance, the line for entrants was 2 to 3 miles long.

But once I got in, a lot of really nice people to talk to and great cars to see.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. But yes, they are checking for dirt on the wheels, in the wheel wells, under the front bumper. And one entrant told me they even check the exhaust tips.........INSIDE! He must have been joking. But, I guess BMWs are NOT meant to be driven.

Since it was at the Nicklaus Club, it brought back a lot of great memories from last year.

And I thought I would end off with arguably the best sedan ever made.

15. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    Keep up the photos Rich. Hope you are having fun!

16. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
  17. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Great photos, thank you for taking, and thank you for posting! Nice to be able to experience a bit of Monterey from a distance.

The Concorso was always one of my favorite Monterey events. It lost some of the magic when it moved from its original location, but I am happy to see that it seems to be doing reasonably well again.

On the Dinos, both the Rosso Dino and the Verde Germoglio GTs look beautifully restored.
    The brown Dino - I assume it is Dino Marrone Met.- is gorgeous! Rare to see one, too.
    The black GTS looks great without bumpers and with well fitting headlight covers. Highlights the perfectly shaped front end of the Dino.

Nobody is getting bored with this thread!

18. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    Hi Lars,

Thanks for the thanks. So glad to hear you are not bored.

The new location is great. And it is very well organized. And not crowded like some of the other venues. Even the porta potties were first class and no lines.

The Marrone Dino was restored by Fast Cars, Redondo Beach.
    The Rosso Dino was restored by Steve Kouracos. Notice the picture of the Rosso? They placed the car the night before......jacked it up.......and rotated the wheels so all the Dinos on the hubcaps were upright and parallel to the ground. That is what I call attention to detail. You might get points for that at a BMW event, where they check for dirt in the wheel wells, but I don't think it would make a difference at a Ferrari concours. But it was great to see that kind of attention to detail.
    The Verde was restored by Juan Villarreal.
    All three incredible restorations by people who really passionately care that they do it right.
    The Rosso, the Verde and one of the silver Dinos had award notices on them as I was leaving but I didn't stay to find out the results. Sorry. Maybe someone else can post the winners.

It's funny you mention the headlight covers on the black Dino. I wish I had taken a close-up. They fit so well they looked like they were built in.