246GT Dino Clutch / Flywheel questions | FerrariChat

246GT Dino Clutch / Flywheel questions

Discussion in '206/246' started by Toy Ferrari, Aug 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Toy Ferrari

Toy Ferrari Rookie

Jun 30, 2016
    Appleton WI
    Full Name:
    Craig Nelson
    #1 Toy Ferrari, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Our shop is building a 1973 246GT Dino and and chassis number is beyond 2131. We have a clutch / flywheel question. I have attached pics of what we currently have.

The flywheel is said to be original to the car. We resurfaced the flywheel and balanced it to the engine. We then ordered a new clutch disc and clutch cover from the major parts sources. Unfortunately, we don't have the original clutch cover for reference.

The replacement disc is just fine. However, the replacement clutch cover will not work with the flywheel and apparently is the only option for this engine.

Is it possible that are two radically different versions of the clutch cover/flywheel combo?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#2 dm_n_stuff, Aug 25, 2016
    Parts books have two different numbers for this part.

after 2131 500828A
    up to 2131 500643

HOWEVER, Tom Vail's site shows these as interchangeable.

Is this what you're looking for? I'm just working from the image in the parts book, which does not look like your part.

D

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #3 TTR, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    I've dealt with similar issue on more than one 365GTB/4s and just looking at your photo, I'd say your problem could be a result of multiple contributors. I don't have access to my files for couple of days, but is your clutch pressure plate (=cover?) "standard" 9"-9 1/2" Borg & Beck item (currently manufactured by AP) ?
    And your problem is not getting enough pressure plate diaphragm movement/travel to release the friction plate ?
    If answers to all above are affirmative, your first step should be to replace the flywheel, which appears to have been, one time or another, subjected to what could be considered as backyard or roadside mechanics attempt to get "extended" life out of it and/or the pressure plate.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #4 cls, Jul 4, 2017
    I am having the same problem. Every site I have seen lists the clutch pressure plate as 246 all, but my '72 takes a pressure plate like shown in the first photo - there are three bolt holes in the pressure plate. The kit I got from Superformance has the same pressure plate as in photo 2 of the OP. Anyone know where to get the correct pressure plate?

Here's what I have / need:

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #5 cls, Jul 4, 2017
  6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is that where you bought the pressure plate in your previous photo? That looks like the correct part.

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Chris.

Honestly, I don't recall. I have all the records somewhere, and I could dig them out, but I think a quick call there would get you the answer you need.

D

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    What seems to be the problem with that pressure plate from SF?

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #10 cls, Jul 5, 2017
    3 studs in the flywheel go through the original pressure plate. You can see them in the 1st pic of the flywheel by the OP and in the pressure plate pic by dm_n_stuff.
    I'm thinking the flywheel studs have to be removed or the flywheel needs to be updated to use the Superformance pressure plate. Here's a flywheel and stud set (this will not work with any of the available pressure plates that I have been able to find:

11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The 3 studs should be removed by pressing from the back of the flywheel, these are not used with the new sf pressure plate.
    I went back and forth with sf on this before they realized I had these locating studs on my early car.

Note that the smaller locating dowels should be kept to locate the cover on the flywheel.

12. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks,

That's what I was suspecting.

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #13 pshoejberg, Jul 5, 2017
    Thanks Andrew for the heads up. I fitted the SF pressure plate to my early L series with no issues. But that might then be due to the dowels being removed already or slight differences betweens models? See attached pictures of old versus new P-plate.

Best Peter

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Your flywheel is different: it doesn't have the 3 long studs. I have no idea which cars have the studs and which do not. Mine is 04860 and has the flywheel studs. I had original flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. The simple solution seems to be to remove the studs and then use the "246 All" pressure plate.

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I too would go for that solution. Your flywheel will be lighter as well ...-:)

16. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Peter, I think yours was already replaced and the studs already removed. Saved some effort :)

17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You are most likely right. I observed no significant wear on the old disk, but decided to go all new when I noticed the coloration of the flywheel.

18. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Took the 3 long studs out when resurfacing, and the new pressure plate bolted right up.

19. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    great news!

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the help.

As an aside (if anyone is doing the clutch in the car) there's one nut on the bottom of the bell housing that requires slightly lifting the engine to access. I already had my muffler removed so it was pretty easy to get the 1" lift that I needed.