Dino radiator foam | FerrariChat

Dino radiator foam

Discussion in '206/246' started by er72, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Could someone please post a picture of how radiator foam is supposed to look when properly installed (1974 US Dino 246 GT Spider). Also, does anyone have any advice on proper adhesive for attaching it to the hood?

Thanks in advance
    Eugene

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #2 GermanDino, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the foam touches the top of the radiator when closed....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hi Eugene,
    I used contact cement.
    It's pretty easy, though a tad awkward if you are doing this with hood in situ. Even though the foam lines up naturally when butted up against the vent gutters, you may want to draw a light chalk line with a straight edge on the underside of the hood to use as a guide. Dry fit the foam first (notch it at each end to lay over the hood frame tubing).
    I don't recall if I applied glue to both hood and foam or just one. Take your time to get the foam lined up once the glue is ready; you will likely have only one shot at getting it straight...especially if you coated both surfaces!
    Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    Cheers,
    Coop

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Did they use foam on the early 246 L-series as well?

Regards Peter

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Tip: If it gets wet it will rust the top of your radiator.

Consider leaving the hood up after a wet drive.

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, all of our cars had it.

7. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Thank you everyone for detailed responses. Will give it a try now!

sturrisi likes this.
  8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Radiators are not made of sheetmetal steel. Brass all the way.

Regards, Alberto

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #9 TTR, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    ?? Is the top of Dino radiator something other than brass ? Mild steel perhaps, since you're suggesting it being prone to rusting ?
    Also, I'm not familiar with this foam air-dam on Dinos, but most vintage cars I've seen using foams for similar applications, the foam is usually "closed cell"-type not prone to absorb moisture like "open cell" foam.
    Was the O.E.M. foam used for this application on Dinos "closed cell" or "open cell" ?
    The photo posted by Matthias appears to feature foam that looks more like "open cell".

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

https://www.amazon.com/Shurtape-DF-545-Double-Coated-Carpet/dp/B00I8ZU7XE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1472412368&sr=8-4&keywords=double+sided+cloth+tape

I used this to attach it. We used this in our presses (heated presses) and it held up very well. Bought the foam (open cell) at Home Depot. It's sold to fill the gap when you install a window air conditioner. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-1-1-4-in-x-1-1-4-in-x-42-in-Foam-Air-Conditioner-Weatherstrip-AC42H/100059869

although if you want to get fancy, try here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-foam-sheets/=13xb4i9

Hey URO, did you have to re-attach the foam at any point, or is it still holding up?

D

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Foam is still there fine.

I had a busted hose with a big hiss, steam everywhere.

Top of radiator corroded. Looked like rust but maybe not.

I need to take another look to see of it is brass, hopefully,

12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This is a soft foam, not a styrofoam.

It isn't open or closed cell, more like a packing foam.....

Not as complex as you would think

Shawn

13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H

14. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    The tanks on the radiator are brass as are the cooling fins. The top of the rad (i.e. the part that has 'FIM' Stamped on it) is mild steel as is the strip of metal that runs along the bottom.

The foam is open-cell as others have pointed out. (The Home Depot stuff looks about right). One other detail is that the foam is not cut straight, rather it curves in a smooth radius at either end.

Best Regards,
    Paul

15. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #15 celestialcoop, Sep 1, 2016
    When I pulled my (surprisingly heavy) radiator several years ago to have it rebuilt, this is what I discovered:

It appeared to be the proper FIM Forcellini, Bologna, Italy unit. As you can see, there was rust on the top & bottom frame pieces. The magnet liked them. The core fins appeared to have serious rust issues and were very fragile. The magnet liked them. The core tubes looked a bit better. The magnet liked them. I determined that it had to be a carbon steel core radiator. No wonder it was so heavy! (I kept it for posterity.)

At any rate, after much research, I opted for copper/brass vice the increasingly popular aluminum option. (Steel? Not!) The shop that did the rebuild found a new core listed for a vintage Mercedes that had the same fin count and nearly replicated the FIM design. The brass tanks and steel upper/lower frame were mated to the new core. It has the right look, fits perfectly, cools just fine...and doesn't weigh a ton!

Changing gears, I have not figured out how to shrink the picture size, so I can only attach one at a time. I will do three more posts.

Cheers,
    Coop
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #16 celestialcoop, Sep 1, 2016
  17. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #17 celestialcoop, Sep 1, 2016
  18. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #18 celestialcoop, Sep 1, 2016
  19. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #19 celestialcoop, Sep 1, 2016
  20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Stand corrected....

Regards, Alberto

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thank you for informative and well presented comments and photos, something one can actually learn from. After learning the orientation of the (brass) tanks and (steel) support brackets being different than in vast majority of vintage car radiators makes thing easier to understand.
    Have a question, though. Can you (or some one) confirm the materials for all different OEM core components, i.e. fins, tubes and tube end plates ? You stated the fins and tubes in your "old" (OEM ?) core were steel, which I find rather odd.

22. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My '74 GTS has steel has top and bottom plates and steel fins but I would be surprised if the tubes were steel.

23. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #23 celestialcoop, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Pronto Timo,
    Thanks for your kind words.
    When I touched the magnet to the end of the tubes depicted in the fifth pic, I was surprised that there was a mild attraction. Though rather scuzzy, the tubes don't appear to have rusted (inside or out...see pic two, too!)? It's possible that the magnet was drawn to the steel fins attached to the tubes. The tanks had just been removed when the picture was taken. The old core has since been sitting outside, exposed to the elements for several years. I would expect surface rust to have developed if they are mild steel. I'll mosey out to the rose garden to scan the sad old core visually and magnetically.
    'back with you in a while,
    Coop

24. celestialcoop

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Yup. The tubes are not rusty...inside or out...and the magnetic attraction was a figment of my imagination! I was using a somewhat heavy magnet; what I perceived as magnetism was merely gravity. Unless they are stainless steel (not likely), I imagine them to be copper (yes likely).

Timo: So much for accurate information.

Cheers,
    Coop

25. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #25 TTR, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Coop,

Thank you for taking time to thoroughly assess and confirm these details. If more contributors to discussions and forums like this would attempt even half the similar efforts, they could help produce a lot closer to accurate and more useful information.

Timo