246 Crate Motor | FerrariChat

246 Crate Motor

Discussion in '206/246' started by Playboy V12, Sep 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Not sure this is the proper thread for it, but here goes:

Curious how much a 246 crate motor runs for?

Reason I ask is because I absolutely love the way it sounds, and have this unusual desire to one day stuff it into another lightweight car like a Lotus Exige or something. Or maybe a Caterham 7. :D

The bigger issue probably relates to the challenges of integrating an old motor like that into a modern car.

This isn't a realistic project in the near future....just some fantasizing while tucked away in the desert on post in the Middle East, haha.

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    @ Play Boy V12

Ali Al S will do that ;)

And if it's Buering, even worse!

Not sure what you mean by "crate"? As in NOS? Or new production 2.4L? Best bet would be to probably find a 2.4 from a Fiat Dino, and move forward :)

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You would have to really really love the sound of that particular engine to even consider the job. In the end it is a 40+ year old design that gets obliterated in HP/displacement by newer and much much cheaper engines. From a performance standpoint prepare to be disappointed. The biggest problem is that you are looking to buy an engine that has collector value because of the cars they go into rather than for what it is. 'Crate' motors essentially don't exist unless you find someone with an NOS motor lying around that will likely need a full re-build and you will pay a huge premium for the privilege.

That said if you really want one of these engines as already stated re-build one out of a really beat up Fiat Dino (a car that the only value would be the engine) and you will be good to go. Assuming acquisition cost of the engine and a full re-build I would think you would be in a minimum of $20K to start.

4. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Totally forgot about the Fiat Dino.....really good idea!

May not sound as good as the Ferrari version but good enough.

5. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    Agreed!

BTW, you just exposed my terrible OPSEC. :D

6. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    But remember the Fiat dino motor and box is inline not transverse.

7. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    The sound difference depends only on the exhaust system. The engine is technically identical.
    I appreciate your favour for the Dino engine but I'd like to see you using another engine for this project ;)
    They're rare and we need them for our beautiful cars!

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    And being technically the same, the rebuild cost is exactly the same. I've had this thought before using a small formula chassis to at least show case the Dino motor. Would be cool, but cost of that motor is steep. you can look for the smaller displacement lighter aluminum block 2.0 liter Dino motor, but cost wise, about the same. Just another option.

You could call Superformance in the UK looking for leads.

Good luck!