Dino # 0954 on eBay | FerrariChat

Dino # 0954 on eBay

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Sep 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#1 dinogts, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have no skin in this one -

Just saw this on eBay - an L series, #00954 - Black/black. I am a little surprised no one has mentioned anything about it. Currently bid to $36,100 with 7 bids. Listing says it is in Campbell, CA - appears legit with many photos including workshop photos. As per the Dino Register, factory invoice July 10, 1970, delivered to Breno, Brescia, Italy. It seems it was silver originally, and then repainted black. Came to the U.S. in 1976 and made it's way to Stockton, CA, and was owned by Bruce Benninger. It seem that the eBay listing is generally correct, but some of the info in the Dino Register indicates it was modified at one time - for example, the 3rd listing in the Register claims "wide fender flares," "headlight covers," and "Daytona seats" but all of those must have been added later. Although the machine gun barrel sticking out of the right headlight bucket must have been original for Italy, right? ;)

(The last photo is from the Register - not the eBay listing).

Ferrari: 246 GT L----EARLY COUPE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It's been on EBAY. Didn't meet reserve.

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    It's located at my mechanic's shop, Grand Prix Motors. The shop owner is well regarded in his work on Ferrari's in general and is definitely a go-to place for Dino's...mine included.

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks pretty good!

Quick tangent - I guess the answer seems obvious with this car, but pre '75 Euro models are ok in CA? Is it ok to bring one in now, or did it have to be registered before they made'75 the cut-off?

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    This isn't a junk car and it isn't priced as such.

What is sitting in the headlight area in that pic? Weird

Shawn

6. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Looks like the single Euro bumper mounting tube. There appears to be one laying in the other headlamp bucket also.
    My guess is they are going back in.

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Up to $200K now, reserve not met (unsurprisingly!) with 5 days to go. Is an E-bay auction really the way to sell a car like this? I wouldn't have thought so.

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

It CAN be. I know of several other Ferraris that have been sold that way - 512BBi's, 550/575s, etc. Also, it is a pretty good way to get the word out. And, with a lot of involved Dino owners on FCHAT spread all over the U.S., it is pretty easy to find someone who is willing to take a quick look for free (like in the case of this Dino, for example, maybe Ron - HMB-Dino on FCHAT - since it is at his mechanic's shop) at ANY exotic on eBay that someone might be interested in so a potential buyer can weed out the trash and then decide to get a qualified mechanic to conduct a fuller (and paid for) examination of the car.

And, this car looks interesting to me.

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    My mechanic is a little over an hour away, and since my Dino has been in storage for a couple months, I haven't had a reason to visit the shop. But I do recall seeing it many times while it was undergoing its restoration. I also believe it was at Concorso Italiano in 2015.

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Looks like a nice L-Series. The bumpers and steering wheel are for a later Dino. Was black/black the original color combo?

Freeman

11. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Looking at the entries on dinoregister.com, it appears that it was silver then repainted black. See posting #1 in this thread.