Cavallino Classic - January 25-29, 2017 - Featured Model - 50 Years of the Dino!!!!!! | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic - January 25-29, 2017 - Featured Model - 50 Years of the Dino!!!!!!

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Sep 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So, who is thinking about attending with their Dinos?

Hard to believe it has been 50 years!!!

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I'm bringing my 206!

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Wow, great news!

4. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I will be around, and Irina is joining me... looking forward to see you guys again....
    regards Matthias

5. afishtx

afishtx Rookie

Nov 4, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Fish
    A few months ago I visited a farm outside of Harper, TX where a gentleman has an online shop selling automobile collectibles. Wading through his huge collection I found an original Pininfarina blueprint of my car with original signatures and Ferrari logos all across the back. I purchased it and it is framed in my home. I notice recently he has one for a 206. I see OMGJON owns a 206. Don't know if you are interested but mine looks pretty darn good on my wall. It's about 4.5 feet by 3 feet. Here is a link that should take you there. l'art et l'automobile - The World's Largest Automobilia Auction & Gallery Site - Search

6. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thank you for hijacking this thread. If you want to contact OMGJON, send him a PM (Private Message) next time.

7. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    For me 3000 miles is a little far to go for a concours, but I am in admiration of those who are going.

But I do have a question, and I hope this is not a hijack.

Why would 2017 be considered the 50 year anniversary of the Dino? Why not 2015, the 50 year anniversary of arguably the first Dino, The Dino GT Berlinetta Speciale #0840 which was shown at the the Paris Auto Show in 1965? Just wondering.

If this is a hijack, I apologize.

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    for me it`s 2018... production started mid 1968....

9. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I will be going but will probably be taking my 512 BBi for the concours. I would love to enter my GTS, SN 04004, but think I would be wasting my time since my car has an aftermarket Stebro exhaust and all US emissions equipment has been removed.

Incidentally, I just recently purchased some cool original factory documentation on my car that Cathy Roush had --- among them the original Chinetti check to Ferrari paying for my car (SN 04004 on the memo side of the check), the original certificate of conformity from Ferrari to Chinetti with the matching check # on it, and shipping documents from Italy to the US.

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

When I first saw Cavallino's announcement, I wondered about the 50th Anniversary claim too. I figured they had at least some basis to make that claim. If the reference point is to the introduction of the 65° V engine, that goes back to the Dino 156 F2 engine of 1956, as per the Ferrari book, "V65° L'efficacia di un'idea" so I was a little confused at first.

However, that same book features the Dino 206 GT at page 10, and in the English language translation of that page at the back of the book it states:

"The Dino 206 with body by Pininfarina made its debut at the 1967 Turin Motor Show, and it went into mass production: unlike earlier prototypes which had the longitudinal rear engine of the Dino Ferrari sports car, the new range model had a 2 litre engine mounted in a single transverse mid-rear unit with the gearbox and differential. The car entered production with a few small changes compared to the prototype . . . ."

It seems to me then that Cavallino is using the 1967 inroduction at the Turin Auto Show of Ferrari's definition of the PRODUCTION Dino as the starting date.

11. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    That documentation is great!
    Congratulations!!!!!

12. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    They all make sense. The reason I asked is that I went to a 50 year anniversary Concours featuring the Dino last year, 2015.

Looks like Matthias may have to organize his own concours next year. :)

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

You mean, in 2018 - the year AFTER next! ;)

14. Dino246gts

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    I shouldn't be up so late. Thanks for the correction!
    It's bedtime!!!!!!

15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds reasonable. Do you know if anything is yet being planned for 2018 in Maranello, or elsewhere in Europe?

16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I´m working on it.... updates to come over the next months..... the idea is end of June 2018 in Maranello....

17. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Great - put me down for it!