New Dino Owner - 02114 | FerrariChat

New Dino Owner - 02114

Discussion in '206/246' started by deimh, Sep 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi all

I have been lurking in FChat for years and a couple of weeks ago bought very original the Oro Chairo Dino at the Bonhams Goodwood auction:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23595/lot/108/

As I am new to the scene, I had a few questions that I would appreciate some help with:

1) How many Dinos were produced in Oro Chairo (a colour I really love!) and of these, how many are RHD and/or Series M?
    2) The Dino seesm to be fitted with a Sharp radio/tape - is that original and/or what were Dinos delivered with?
    3) I thought that it was the Series E cars that had the door lock re-located fro within the scoop to below the scoop, yet my Series M Dino has the locks below the scoop. Is this the case and/or given that mine is one of the very last Series E cars, could it be part Series E and part Series M?

My plan is to keep the Dino original and unrestored and use it. However the first task is to get it started up and recommisioned after it has been sitting for over 35 years...

Thanks and regards
    Dave

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #2 isuk, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome. There were 33 cars delivered worldwide in Oro Chiaro and of these I believe 7 were RHD GT models. Your example was the first UK car delivered in this colour and the sole M series. The next car supplied in Oro Chiaro in the UK was an E series #02636 which also had a nero 161 vinyl interior. My records indicate that #07208 was the last. The door lock position was moved from the M series so your car is correct. Most radios in the UK were fitted by either the importer, Maranello Concessionaires, or by the supplying dealer. Radiomobile was the most common fitment but others were supplied as well. Your unit looks to be a Sharp RG5300 which was introduced around 1976. FM wasn't widely adopted in the UK until the early 80's so it is likely the unit was fitted around then. http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sharp_rg_5300.html

Matthias may have further info on cars delivered in Oro Chiaro.

Your car looks to be a great reference point for other owners. In case you want to keep it to original spec it looks as though the air box, air filter cannister and expansion tank have been repainted in silver hammerite at some point and the cam covers also refinished in a non original colour.

3. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    #3 deimh, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the welcome and speedy / detailed reply!

The plan is to keep the Dino as is, changing as few aspects of it as possible - apart from potentially putting some later mods back to original, so thanks for the heads up on the bits in the engine bay that seems to have been painted along the way.

Who holds all the Dino production records, as I would appreciate the opportunity to look through them if at all possible.

My Dino also has a Ferrari script and Prancing Horse on the rear. I understand that the UK Ferrari agent sometimes put Ferrari badges on Dinos - is this the case and what would mine have likely been supplied with originally.

Dave

PS If anyone wants to have a look at the car as a referance please just ask.

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Matthias will have most of the production info. If you did not receive the original invoice or factory order confirmation sheets in the paperwork with your car then it will likely be worth contacting Tony Willis who holds most of the Maranello Concessionaires archive and may well be able to supply copies of whatever he has for your car.

The horse and Ferrari script were a common addition by Maranello Concessionaires as the Dino was a slow seller in the UK in the UK due to a combination of it's high price, lack of Ferrari badging and the various troubles that blighted the economy at the time. To help make the cars more desirable the Ferrari badging was applied with the tacit agreement of the factory as I understand it. One of mine, #04054, has certainly had the same badging from new as your car and it was delivered in June '72.

5. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Probably also worth mentioning that it would be advisable to get the car up on ramps and remove the wheel arch liners so you can have the condition of the inner sills visually checked. These cars rust from the inside out and are double skinned on the front lower quarters, rear lower quarters and along the sills. The factory omitted to fit drain holes on the front and rear bodywork so if the car was ever driven on wet roads that had been salted at some point then this gets thrown up by the wheels and trapped in those areas. The doors also suffer from moisture getting trapped inside as the window channel seals are not exactly a tight fit. At the very least I should think you will want to get a good coat of waxoyl or similar in these areas.

6. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Welcome.
    isuk gave you most of the infos that you need. You will also find many useful threads on Fchat if you use the search tool. And I suggest that you buy the Dino Compendium book.
    Hope you will enjoy your Dino. The 246 GT is (one of) the best looking cars on earth. I love the color.

7. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    Perfect color for perfect car.enjoy

Julius

8. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    A beautiful Dino! I agree to preserving/servicing/cleaning what's there. Replace the radio with the correct period Radiomobile etc. many times you will "restore" or refinish only to find out what you had was original. Take it slow and easy, get Matthias's book, ask lots of questions but most importantly, don't react before thoroughly researching. What you have now is perfect.

Freeman

9. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Welcome, Dave. And congratulations!

Andres

10. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Love the Dino in Oro Chiaro.

Congratulations.

11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #11 isuk, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a spare Radiomobile Stereo 8 somewhere which is more period correct if you want to change the radio at some point. It was the UK equivalent of the Voxson Stereo 8 which was fitted to European spec Dinos. I have this type of unit fitted in #07610 and had it converted to FM reception plus iPod compatible. You lose the functionality of the 8 track deck but that is a price well worth paying. With a couple of decent door speakers it actually sounds pretty good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Welcome to the Dino club and congrats

13. deimh

deimh Karting

Sep 4, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    David
    All

Many thanks for all the information, kind words and welcome!

I have ordered a copy of Matthias' book and I'm looking forward to a bit if research before doing anything, as some of you have suggested.

isuk a special thanks to you for all the detailed answers and offer of the Radiomobile radio, I might come back to you on that once I have my head around things.

Regards
    Dave

14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very nice car, what I can see from the Bonhams pictures.... with a great and rare colour.... nice!

15. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Congrats on the Dino purchase.

What a great color, and one better appreciated today than even a couple of years ago.

Please post some current pictures.

Shawn

16. niconeil

niconeil Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Hi Dave .
    I had the enormous pleasure of arranging sale of this car for a friend ... Bob Allan from Northumberland.
    He was delighted to find out it remains in the UK and will be cherished.
    As far as Bob’s tenure was concerned it’s never been out in the rain ... however The body panels were all removed and internally treated when he took ownership... under guidance from Maranello engineers ... similarly the spare wheel access point mod was one of their recommendations .
    Cryptically... Bob hopes you managed to work out the engine cut-out / security device he devised !
    Kind regards
    Neil