Dinoplex question | FerrariChat

Dinoplex question

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, Oct 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    #1 Bluebottle, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I took these photos of the setup in my car (E-series). I am now about to exhibit my complete ignorance of this subject, so please forgive me if my questions seem naive!

I assume that it is some form of replacement for the Dinoplex (?) Is it good / better than the original / worse / likely to give me trouble in the future? Any thoughts / comments / information on this installation would be welcome. Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    If you look at dinoplex.org there is a list of alternative ignition systems for the Dino.

http://dinoplex.org/overview_dino_ignitions.pdf

The super 4 ignition (in the list stated as superformance AEC103A replica) is also there with it's advantages and disadvantages.
    It's output seems to be relatively low compared to other systems and also lower than the original dinoplex ignition. I have no experience with this system so I can't comment on durability etc.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 Bluebottle, Oct 27, 2016
    Thanks for that. Makes interesting reading even if I don't understand all of it!

I took a look at the Superformance website and apparently they no longer sell this kit - is that, perhaps, an adverse reflection of it's abilities? They offer two alternatives: Dinoplex Ignition System, described as "Direct replacement for Original AEC 103A system", which suggests that it is not quite the same as the original equipment although it looks like it (see photo) - is it some sort of replica casing with different insides?

They also offer a BSM Ignition Kit (second photo) which replaces the complete standard ignition setup with a modern, programmable system - does anyone have experience of this?

4. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    #4 Stefan Elshout, Oct 27, 2016
    I think they still sell them as: Dinoplex Ignition System, described as "Direct replacement for Original AEC 103A system.
    I'm not 100% sure but I think/heard that these AEC103A boxes have that same super4 ignition build inside. It will still run on the points inside the distributor, I have nothing against points but the quality these days don't seem to be as it was. I have also seen some pictures of there AEC103 case and they did not look as good as the original cases.

That other system seems to perform well according to dinoplex.org but the looks are somewhat non-original.

If you really want to replace that Super4 ignition, I have also made some replacement ignitions and Fred Winterburn over here also makes ignitions for the Dino.
    I have recasted the dinoplex cases and have all the components available to convert the Dino to a Bosch inductive setup with optical trigger, which is considered as 'best replacement' by the dinoplex website. It looks just like original.

5. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The super 4 ignition system works well and will / should give years of trouble free motoring, I used it for several years and was perfect. Stefan is correct with the points problem though.

I upgraded to the black Stallion set up and it worked well but have now replaced the whole set up with a different programmable module inside the existing AEC case so it looks totally original now.

Superformance no longer sell the Black stallion kit as its unobtainable.

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for that Stefan, Tony. I shall have to study the Dinoplex website properly, but I shall probably leave well alone - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #7 Hawkeye, Oct 29, 2016
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    PM sent.

9. ConT

ConT Rookie

Apr 6, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Con Theoharidis
    Hi Stefan,

Can you please confirm for me the availability of our Dinoplex case & associated components?

Thanks
    Con

10. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    Right now I'm almost out of stock but I will have new cases reproduced ASAP. But you've got PM