73 246 gts | FerrariChat

73 246 gts

Discussion in '206/246' started by schwoo, Nov 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Could use some friendly advice.

When starting the Dino, do you simply turn on the ignition and wait until it starts, or do you pump the gas pedal.

Also, I've been using ethanol free gas. Do you recommend any fuel stabilizer or any additives?[​IMG]
    Thanks so much-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Read the manual!!

3. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #3 isuk, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the starting procedure from the owners manual. The ease of starting will vary according to whether your car has the original Dinoplex unit and original starter. A gear reduction starter makes the process far easier.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Cold starts are not an issue ( I never touch the choke) , but if I'm trying a very hot start after say a fuel stop I never want an audience !!

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Try putting the gas pedal to the floor while you turn the key. This opens up all the butterflies. This is a typical technique for cars with hot start problems. Putting some insulation on your fuel lines next to the carbs can also help prevent vapor lock.

Freeman

6. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Thanks Freeman.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    It'a also the best way start a flooded motor.

Freeman

8. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

pedal to floor
    hold position until she fires
    release pedal

9. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Thanks so much!

10. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I appreciate the advice-

11. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Ray.....my experience in starting your Dino:

1. Cold start
    a. no choke - it's not connected
    b. 4 full throttle to the floor pumps and release
    c. turn key to start - very light throttle
    d. once you get a few pops - feather the pedal to fuel the start
    e. if it doesn't catch try again after 1 more full throttle pump and release

2. Hot start
    a. Slowly push pedal to the floor and hold
    b. Turn key and let her crank....keeping your foot on the floor until it's really running

That Dino of yours was the most and consistent starting carbed FCars of the 12 I cared for over the years. Just be aware that after hard driving or a hot weather shut down the re-starts might require some patience. Only one time did I have to wait about 15 minutes for it to cool down enough for a restart. I found having a drink while the engine cooled was the perfect remedy for both car and driver.

12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

"Read the manual!!" is NOT a particularly helpful comment because in this particular case, the manual's suggestions are erroneous in practice, especially with respect to using the choke. Dinos generally start best in all situations without ever using the choke, and in most Dinos the choke has long since been disconnected.

Also, if you are experiencing vapor lock and your fuel pump is cavitating, it is a little late to insulate the fuel lines/hoses, but you can do what some fellow Austin-Healey owners used to do - soak some towels or rags in cold water, and wrap them around the fuel hoses as best as you can to get the hoses and fuel to cool down.

I have been fortunate in that I have never experienced vapor lock with either of our Dinos, even after running for hours in 90 to 100 degree heat.

13. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    The above comments are not my experience. The manual says it all and I use the choke on every cold start. One must follow the instructions as written, first by allowing 30 seconds for the fuel pump noise to abate. One has to be patient when starting, no question. I have never run into vapor lock situation?

14. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The chokes are connected on all my Dinos and I've followed the factory procedure on cold starts and also found it works.

15. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    For what its worth, I turn ignition on, listen to the fuel pump and when it slows down to a slow tick, pump the pedal 2 twice, keep depressed very slightly, turn key to start and feather throttle to pick up revs when engine catches.
    For a hot start, no pumping, just feather throttle when engine catches. Almost always works for me.

16. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Chris. Exactly right. I do not know what all the fuss is about...as for getting the handbook out ! I have owned scores of multi-carb cars. If those carbs have an injection pump,(so perhaps not SU's), then two big squerts on the throttle pedal,job done. D'ont know why,in some cases,the manufacturer ever fitted a choke control on the dash. It is all controlled by the right foot.

17. VicJano

VicJano Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    Kingston upon Thames
    Full Name:
    Chris O'Connor
    Mine hasn't even got a choke connected.
    Went down to car on Sunday, minus 4 degrees centigrade, not started for 6 weeks, did my ritual (see above); started on the button.
    I put it down to the tuning that Barkaways (near Westerham, Kent, UK) did on it.

18. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Where do you get ethanol free gas?

19. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

In the U.S., get the Pure Gas application on your smartphone and you can find ethanol-free gas stations based upon your GPS location. However, not all stations listed carry it in premium grade.

20. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
  21. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Thanks!

22. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    You guys who don't use the choke, how does your starting experience compare with mine today?

Ambient temp 55F, car was last started 50 days prior. Choke on full, key on to start fuel pump and wait a few seconds for sound to stabilize, pump gas pedal twice, turn engine over. It catches immediately and starts but dies after a few seconds. Pump pedal twice again and turn engine over, and it catches immediately and idles at 1200 rpm. Back car out of garage onto driveway for maybe 30 secs and idle increases to 2000 rpm, choke backed off a bit to keep idle at about 2000. Car then drivable normally, without hesitation or backfiring thru carb. Choke has to be backed off every 30 – 60 secs as idle increases over 2000.

Hot starting is no problem at all. Just hold throttle down a little bit and turn it over and it starts right up.

23. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    I have owned my Dino since '74 and drove it through all seasons ---have never needed to choke even below freezing.

24. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    Can you describe your starting experience in a bit more detail?

So at 20F you just pump the pedal a few times, it fires right up, and after 30 seconds you drive off like in a regular car?

25. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    As you described your starting procedure is exactly my own experience! Cold and Hot. No problem.