Looking for a nice Dino. Any leads ? | FerrariChat

Looking for a nice Dino. Any leads ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Dec 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Hi,

I frequent the forums regularly and would like to add a Dino to my small collection.

I'm looking for a well cared for, rust free example, that has tools, books, jack and documented history. If you are considering selling or know of a good available car, please send me a pm.

I hope to be a contributing member of this section soon.

Thanks very much,

Skipp

2. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I know of a 246 gts with chairs and flares fully restored but owner wants north of $500k.

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  4. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Car was sold a few weeks ago to Daniel Schmitt Classic Cars in St. Louis. Of course it is now up for sale, but at a price (339k) that is way NORTH of what they paid for it!

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yeah, I think Chaz had it priced correct. Thought it would sell, guess the dino market it strained between pristine restored cars and nice drivers. Everyone wants an "investment".

If I ever hit lotto and I don't really play, I'd love to have one of Jons restored Dinos to drive.

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't think Schmitt's price is unreasonable. They have the ability to be patient, which is not always the case for sellers.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks very much guys. I corresponded with Chaz, but my 930 hadn't sold when he was ready to sell. 930 went yesterday, so now I'm better positioned to purchase. It's hard to stomach 90k more for Chaz's car two weeks later. That's one expensive detail job!!

Ideally I want something nicer than the Gullwing cars, but not a concourse car like OMgjon's
    A "correct" car without a lot of needs that's been well preserved. Something in the middle, like dwhite said above, kind of harder to find.

Anyone know anything good or bad on these:

1972 Ferrari 246 GTS

1974 Ferrari Dino 246GTS - Motor Classic & Competition Corp.

http://showroom.auction123.com/mobile/overstreet_house_of_cars_ferrari/index.html?sort=Year&hidenew=&hideused=&hidecertified=&type=&make=&model=&filter=#!item/9508/003392/images

Look forward to getting to know some of you guys and appreciate your input.

Skipp

9. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He had it offered at $250k?! That would have been a steal unless there's something about thr car I didn't know about.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Skipp, all those cars are at Gullwing motors which has a reputation for dealing in a certain level of car. I live in NYC area and was there 17 years ago to look at some Jags. I would not buy from them without going and looking in person. There are haters and lovers of the place, but I don't think they tout themselves as dealers in concour cars.

Did you speak with Schmitt and make an offer. Tell them straight up what you are willing to pay. They probaby would want out fast if they can make some $$$ and move on.

Anyway, good luck on the search for a dino. I did a search 18 years ago and just could not pull the trigger after 6 months of looking. My problem was I did not know anyone who owned a Ferrari and kept getting negativity from people about them; expensive parts, expensive insurance, expensive everything. Next thing I knew I had my other boyhood-dream car an XKE.

11. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Chas here....I sold it to a broker who flipped it to GG Schmitt.....
    I had traded 2 cars for it so I wasn't out any $......
    I got what I needed, the car is 100% perfect without any issues. It runs strong and has no tranny issues.
    I decided to keep my maranello and sell the dino.
    I appreciate the creature comforts of the maranello.

Skipp we could have made a deal, I wasn't in much of a hurry to sell.

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks dwhite and Chas,

Dwhite,
    The haters gonna be haters..... the interesting thing for me is watching how various shops charge for the "mystic" of the exotic Ferrari. I've learned to do a lot of my own maintenance and can say from experience that Fcars are still just cars and have the same systems and components as any other car.

Chas,

I wasn't sure how long it would take to sell my '89 930 Turbo, so I couldn't make a move at the time. Glad you did ok on the sale.

Do they have the black Daytona seat covers and radio you had were going to include with the sale ?

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    These three aren't at Gullwing. Any input or knowledge on these ?

14. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Skipp and I are friends in Charlotte and he has also been talking to me about some of these cars since I went thru the Dino search process and purchased one about a year ago. In fact, some of the cars that were available during my search are still on the market! Anyway, I have made him well aware of the quality of cars at Gullwing (I have been there before and so have a pretty good feel for their inventory). That being said, Gullwing also serves as a wholesaler for the classic Ferrari industry so not all of the cars are projects, etc -- some are just cars that other dealers could not sell and they needed to move inventory so Gullwing stepped in. If I had to sum it up, I would say Gullwing is a place where the inexperienced Ferrari purchaser could be in for a painful lesson --- or for those that do their homework, potential deals could be found. Just like anywhere else, if you do your homework AND go look at the car, then one is in a good position to make a sound purchasing decision, whether it is Gullwing or any other dealer. As an example, one of the Dino's at Gullwing, SN 3000, was with Sheehan last year and had a lot of work done to get it ready for his sale. Another, the car listed for 267.5k now, was on consignment at Ferrari of Atlanta for 295k about 6 months ago. Ad of course there is always a Dino or two that Wayne Carini has sold to Gullwing - these tend to be more the cars that haven't been run in years, need work, projects, etc.

Getting back to the title of the thread and by all means I am not trying to hijack Skipps thread, but anyone know of any Dino's out there that may be for sale that have not hit the public market yet?? Any current owners entertaining the idea of selling who have not advertised their car yet?

15. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    #15 Jürgen Geisler, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #16 GermanDino, Dec 10, 2016
    this car is two years in the market..... wrong front and.... getting cheaper.... has some more to go...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks Glen and the rest of you guys. Please let me know if you know of a good one.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Motor Classic & Competition is owned by Nick Soprano, a good guy. He knows Ferraris very well and knows Dinos. I've spoken with him many times and would stop by his shop when he was at his old location - a different location in Westchester county. He is a person you may want to reach out to discuss what you want. For me it was only a GT. Turn as many stones as possible, because there are cars you never see advertised changing hands.

When I was looking for a Boxer several years ago, I missed a few, passed on quite a bunch and it was frustrating as so many were so needy with so few miles according to their odometers. As I'm sure Glenn has said to you don't rush and don't get emotional. The right car will come along.

Yeah I try and do all the service on both of my Ferraris. But parts are still silly compared to other cars I've owned.

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks dwhite. Good words of wisdom. I've been down the needy road before and wish to bypass that this time around. I've spoken with Nick about the Azure car. I enjoyed the conversation, seems like a good fellow.

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  21. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Matthias - what do you mean by wrong front end?

22. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #22 GermanDino, Dec 11, 2016
    #01684 (M-series)
    lower front with round air intake holes from late E-series, so the grill....
    car doesn`t look straight if you see it in real too....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

i have the radio but sent the covers back to the supplier...

24. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Gull wings are rough

25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks, I agree.