Cool Original Dino Documentation | FerrariChat

Cool Original Dino Documentation

Discussion in '206/246' started by gbutler, Dec 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    #1 gbutler, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I want to thank Cathy Roush from FML for providing me with some original documentation for my 246 GTS Dino, SN 04004. The first picture is of the original factory invoice from Ferrari Spa to Luigi Chinetti Motors. One can even see the original check # 2323 written on the invoice as documentation of payment. The second picture is of the original check (#2323) from Luigi Chinetti Motors payable to Ferrari Spa. The note stub attached to the check even references SN 04004 and the first owner, Robert Fergus.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    That's super special!!!

Freeman

3. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    very cool...

4. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
  5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Wow!

And according to the Dino Register, the second owner of 04004 was Dennis McCann, another important star in the Dino firmament!!

6. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Yes, Dennis helped sell many of the cars from the Fergus estate, so not sure if he actually owned it or brokered a sale. Perhaps he bought it from the estate, enjoyed it for a few months then sold the car

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I believe that Denis brokered the sale of the Dino. The "two short ownerships" is not quite accurate; there was one long term owner in Oregon if I am not mistaken; car was purchased at Gooding PB by Autosport Design in NY.

The paperwork is terrific, an incredible asset. FML still works in the tradition of Gerald Roush, they deserve some recognition.

All the best, you have a great Dino with bulletproof history.

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Bill Zilk owned it in Sisters, Oregon for about 8 and 1/2 years, and then rynoshark (Ryan Snodgrass) owned it, somewhat briefly, in 2012. I don't remember having seen it though. He might have kept it in Oregon for a while.

9. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    +1

Fantastic find for 04004...love the paperwork! To this day, 04004 was the best Dino I've driven.

10. dinogtss

dinogtss Karting

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi

Looks almost identical to the one i got from marranello concessionaires for mine same letterhead layout etc

11. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    #12 Watsonvg, Jan 5, 2017
    Hi guys. First of all I apologize for the cancellation of certain data. I feel you all are gentleman, for sure, but we cannot know if some malevolent eye will one day come between us.

Then let's return to the matter.
    Here is the first document regarding my car: 1972, July 18. On an elegant type of paper directly from Marco Gastone Crepaldi, the historic concessionary for Milan and parts of northern Italy.
    Wow !!! 100.000 italian liras (50 Euro) of deposit were enough to reserve a Dino. The car was sold to a guy one year before and he now was waiting for a silver Daytona with a blu strip on that groove on the side of the door and the body. Incidentally he was only a few months younger than me.
    Look at the price of a Dino one year later the delivery : 4.5 mln liras (about 2.300 Euro) !!!
    At that time it was possible to fill the tank with 4,5 Euro, to have a full exaust system with 65 Euro and so on. But also the salary of a doctor in a hospital was 120 euro, to give an idea.
    A new Daytona cost about 7,5 mln (about 3.600 Euro). It was not so easy as it seems to have all that money....
    If you do not get bored I would like to do further comments about those years.

12. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    Very cool. My Car was delivered from Crepaldi too one year earlier.

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    What cool stuff!!

Can you help us understand what it was like to buy a Dino back in the day?

Any info, such as documents, owners items, pics, etc, would be wonderful.

Shawn

14. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    #15 Watsonvg, Jan 8, 2017
    Thank you for your interest, Shawn. I apologize for the delay.
    Let me say some words about Gastone Crepaldi: when I knew him he was a Ferrari concessionary for about 20 years. He began in 1953, when the Ferrari production was of 70-80 cars per year, and he sold the very first cars to big names of the industrial society in Milan like Leopoldo Pirelli (tires) , Rizzoli (editor), Alemagna (confectionery industries) and others. So the Ferrari cars became a status symbol once more. The panorama on the roads did not provide any Lambo or Jaguar E or other exotic cars except very rare Aston Martin and Rolls or American cars.

The attached text comes from a book of 1972 (‘Le Ferrari’ , L’editrice dell’Automobile). It’s a cool doc too. It explains the growth of the production along the first years. It's not difficult to understand the meaning, even if you don't know italian.
    In the 60s Ferrari had already won the first world titles in F1 and in Sport Prototipes, including the Le Mans victories, and everything became easier.
    So, in the offices of via Fioravanti, it happened to me to see Mr.Crepaldi to refuse a Daytona to a fellow only because he didn’t like him. I remember the face of that person that was repeating 'But I want to pay in cash…' . Nothing: he didn’t want to sell a car to that mug… Maybe he knew something about him that I didn’t know.

The first pic shows Enzo Ferrari giving a prize to Crepaldi for the 10-year cooperation in 1963.
    The second pic shows Crepaldi in 1993. Both pics come from Ferrari World nr.12, 1991.

15. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    #16 Watsonvg, Jan 18, 2017
    As Shawn asked , I try to explain which was the feeling when I buyed my Dino.
    I think that when someone has a lot of money and he likes something , he can have it immediately, without difficulty. In this case I think that the emotions are quite different in comparison with the ones of a person that is dreaming of something without having the disposable income to buy it . In this case the satisfaction is priceless.

For me the matter began in 1965.
    It was the eve of the 330 P2 and of the 166 P, the little car with a displacement of 1600 cc that in Nurburgring ’65 with the #31 was faster than a pack of 904/2000 Porsche. The German competition judges did not believe that the displacement was 1600 and wanted to open the engine, or, as someone referred at that time, was the Ferrari team director on raceways, Eugenio Dragoni, to ask to open it , to cancel doubts: it was 1.600 cc, certified.

In November '65 I went to the ‘ Salone dell’Automobile’ in Turin with my brother, 10 years older than me.
    My passion for racing cars was unlimited. So imagine a very young guy, great fan of every type of Ferrari cars, in front the Dino berlinetta speciale 1965, designed by Aldo Brovarone, slightly tilted to the left. I remained motionless beside the car for 20 minutes. Electrocuted.
    My brother called me several times but nothing … I was fascinated. It was the prefiguration of something that we could have on the roads and we could buy. Look at that interior. It was like a prototype. Fantastic.
    So since that days all my efforts were directed to collect money to be able to buy a car like that. At last, when the circumstances were favorable, after my degree in medicine, I finally took the 01944 to home, with an emotion that I still remember with great intensity.

16. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    #17 Watsonvg, Jan 18, 2017
    The January issue of Ruoteclassiche, a nice italian magazine for classic cars, has a schetch made by Aldo Brovarone for the 30 years of the magazine. They asked to him to make a cover for them.
    He has choosen the Dino in all its versions because it was his favourite car.
    I attach some comments of Aldo Brovarone about Dino. For your comfort I translate some phrases.
    Pininfarina received the birdcage of a 206 SP with engine, brakes and so on and started to make a car on that giving the charge to his dratsmen. So....

By the way, Mr.Brovarone certifies that the idea of the Dino came out of Ferrari's mind, (as I sustained in a thread in which is questioned us if the Dino has to be considered a Ferrari or not) because he wanted a car with Dino brand. This is much more than to give a simple name to a car.

I wanted to know Aldo Brovarone, draftsman of that lovely red car, so 2 years ago I went to Torino were he lives and met him. He is now 90 years old and he is a beautiful person with a lot of memories concerning Pininfarina, Ferrari and the environment of past years.
    He honored me with his autograph on the beautiful book of Matthias that I brought with me. I could not ask more.
    I share with you his message. Thank you Mr. Brovarone.