Dino paint | FerrariChat

Dino paint

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinopomodoro, Dec 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    I am bringing my Dino 246 out of long-term hibernation. It's up and running, but ready for paint. Can anyone help me out with paint codes. The original color is Dino red, and I want to match that as closely as possible. Thanks for any help.

2. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    Hello Pete, the Rosso Dino is 20-R-350 and the Rosso Chiaro is 20-R-190. The Rosso Dino is
    more "orange". Regards, Alvaro

3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    i am no expert on paint.
    However, there was a thread in the 458 section with ALL the Ferrari colors.
    Additionally, when building a 430 coupe years ago I tried to get Fly Yellow not Giallo Modena. Ferrari literally said they had no idea what that color was!
    So, I went to PPG to look at paint codes. They have each red, yellow, etc, by year for the Ferrari cars. With the formulas/numbers you can reproduce them. This might help you narrow down which colors to look at.
    Rossa Dino however is a true Crayola crayon orange. It is far from red.
    Lastly, before painting the car, I have always found it helpful to have the body shop mix a little of each color you are thinking of. Then, spray some random damaged parts that are lying around so you can really see what the color will look like. If your body shop can't be bothered, the bumper repair guys that go to the various car dealers do work in these tiny quantities.
    Best

4. dinopomodoro

dinopomodoro Rookie

Sep 22, 2007
    Parkville, MO
    Full Name:
    Pete Davis
    Thanks for your responses. I've now talked to the original owner, and verified the 20R190 code. The paint shop has it matched with their system, so the process is in motion. Andiamo !

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I would be very careful just going off of modern matches to the original paint colors. They look way different now than they did then

But the Dino Compendium and / or search here for old paint threads.

6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I think you meant "Buy" the Compendium...

7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Correct :)