Lifting the Dino with QuickJack | FerrariChat

Lifting the Dino with QuickJack

Discussion in '206/246' started by ENZOSON, Jan 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    #1 ENZOSON, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello every one -

I searched for the ideal set up for lifting the Dino. I had the following requirements:

1 - Portable - I don't have any room for a "permanent lift"
    2- Low profile when collapsed ( close to 3 in)
    3- "open center design" - no obstruction to access the center alley of the car
    4- ability to remove all 4 wheels at once to work on brakes etc.

So I bought one of these QuickJacks - did the gearbox / transfer case oil change in no time at all. Pick up points are similar to what Omigon shows when he lifts his Dinos during restoration.

Super happy with it - I bought the 5,000lbs capacity lift.

Cheers

Pietro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Looks good. I was looking into these today.

How easy is it really to use (setup/store)?

Do you feel safe underneath? I'm always nervous and I don't trust myself with traditional stands that's why I'm looking. Thoughts?

3. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    There is a video on their website where they take the 5000lbs model in full height position and load it with over 16,000 lbs of weight.

Lateral stability is incredible. (there might be a YouTube video showing that as well - but not on their website).

The key is that each lifting device has its own locking feature (@1/2 and full travel extension). When you get to the desired height, you lock the system in (mechanically) so the load is transferred through the lock.

The Dino is light - I have an Alfa 4C (in the same weight range). 2200-2400 lbs.

Cheers

Pietro

4. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I use the same for my 328 I got it 3years now no leaks works great and very save mine goes 22" high

5. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Do you think the larger one would fit under the Dino, especially lengthwise?

It would be nice to be able to use it for Dino as well as Tundra, a full size truck.

Thanks.

6. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO

I think the 7000lbs model is only 1/2 taller in the collapsed position (3.5 vs 3). But when you add in the shortest rubber block it becomes 4.3 inches - so you might be cutting it close... you can always drive the car on wooden blocks to raise it bit.

The frame width is the other difference (12.5 in vs 11 for the 5000). that as little to do with things - but it will make the frames heavier...

cheers

Pietro

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I think it is longer as well which could be an issue between the tires?

Also, would you go under that without additional jackstands?

Thanks.

8. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Both frame lengths are the same (5000 and 7000) at 72.5 inches - and that works for the Dino. The system is very solid - I went under it with out additional jack stands.

Cheers

Pietro

9. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Looks like a good device.

During initial setup I assume you fill it with hydraulic fluid? After that you leave all the hoses hooked up? Does it self purge the air out of the lines or do you have to do it manually?

10. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What's the circuit breaker requirement for running the lift motor?

Thanks,

Scott

11. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Yes DEXTRON III ( 2.5 qts) -After use (and for storage) I disconnected the hoses - mine came with dust cover for the quick disconnects - I would recommend them. Its an option but they were in box when I opened it... not complaining. The quick disconnect actually seal up nicely.

Procedure says to purge the air in the system before using (at least for the 1st time) - I did - haven't used it since - so we'll see how it goes on the next run. The website has a download section - you can actually find the owners/user manual.

https://www.quickjack.com/media/wysiwyg/Downloads/QuickJack-Manual-Rev-B-05-11-16-WEB.pdf

Cheers

Pietro

12. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
  13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks!

14. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I have planned on buying the 5000 pound unit and including the motorcycle attachment when my car barn is finished. The only concern I have is with my Jaguars and how they would be balanced on the Quick Jack. A significant portion of their weight is the engine and transmission in the front of the car.

15. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Does it need to be bolted into the floor?

16. ENZOSON

ENZOSON Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2004
    Erie, Colorado
    Full Name:
    PIETRO
    Nope - totally portable

17. Pantdino4

Pantdino4 Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jim Oddie
    I have had the movable one of these for maybe 8 yrs now and I highly recommend it. No need to remove it or store it- you just leave it in place and drive the car over it to park.

It locks at multiple heights and is more stable than the QuickJack, it seems to me. This one is all one piece and there is no way the car/lift combo could tip over.

For the Dino I don't use pads to create lift points-- the car's frame is flat on each side so you just drive it onto the lift and push the button. Just pull the car as far forward as you can to get as much weight forward as possible.

For cars that are super low you put 2x6 lumber on the ground behind and ahead of the lift so the car rises further off the lift as it goes onto it. This also lets you get the car further forward for better weight distribution.

BendPak LR-60P Low Rise Lift, 6,000 Lb. Capacity, Portable

I have done many jobs on several cars that I never could have done without it.

Jim

18. 246328458

246328458 Karting

Feb 13, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    246 SAH
    Hi Pietro,

I know this is an old post but I’m looking to buy a QuickJack for my Dino and other cars so I need to buy the most flexible solution. I’m in NZ so the only option for me is to buy online with no viable way to test before buying.

The model I can get here is BL5000SLX (longer model) version3, which has an overall frame length of 1841mm or 72.5”. I’m told by the supplier here that is just a bit too long to work between the wheels as the thing is 3 inches thick when flat so you need some wiggle room and you have to measure the distance 3 inches above the ground, but from what I can see it’s not all 3inches thick from end to end so should still work. There was an older model called BL-5000, which was 69” or 1753mm long, I can’t get that here.

Can you please add the full model number and version you have as seems they have changed the specifications a bit over time.

In the last photo you posted it looks like it’s not fitted between the wheels, looks more like you have it further in, is that just the effect of the photo or is that how you use them?

Where do you sit the rubber blocks on the car’s Oval frame?

How has the QuickJack been performing since you bought it?

I’ve checked the current spec’s for the 5000 one here but it does not look like that will work between the wheels for a Dino - only just though - by about 30mm. So I’m wondering exactly how long the 5000 one you have is when flat, is it a different version to the current one?

Sorry for so many questions

Many Thanks
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. PrecisionMike

PrecisionMike Rookie

Jan 21, 2016
    Northern Hemisphere
    Hi. Does the quickjack lift it high enough to do a major job like gearbox removal from the underside. (I'm thinking 360). Appreciate all comments. Thankyou.

20. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Portable, can I bring it over to Chandler?
    :)