Real Dino prices | FerrariChat

Real Dino prices

Discussion in '206/246' started by premieram, Jan 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
  2. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
  3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#3 dm_n_stuff, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    According to the listing the pre-auction estimate was $325-375K, I doubt the $290K would make this particular seller all that happy.

As someday the mecum link will disappear, I've added one photo for posterity.

Nice car, US spec A/C daytona seats.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    $290 hammer plus commission. Same car sold at a Mecum auction mid 2016 for $305 or 310 all-in.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    market seems pretty stable and healthy

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Next week will tell the story.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looking at the pics, I don't see a platinum car?

9. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Commission is 10% in house or 12% phone / internet.

All in would be $319k assuming in house. Seems about right for the car.

Previous $305k sale would have been $335.5k all in, assuming it closed.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I don't think the Seller is very happy.

He sold the car for less than he paid.

I want to see the "Platinum" award. I don't believe it.

There are too many things I don't see that I would expect to see on a "Platinum" Dino that only has 250 miles on the redo.

EVEN BETTER - THE FIRST OWNER OF THIS CAR IS NOT CORRECT. WHO BOUGHT AND DROVE THIS CAR BRAND NEW IS THE BIGGEST DRAW FOR THE DINO, AND THAT ISN'T EVEN PART OF THE SELLER.

If I was the Seller and found this out, not only selling for less would anger me, but knowing what slipped through my fingers would burn me even more.

:)

Shawn

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Further more, the statement:

"Impressively, the car earned a Ferrari Club of America Platinum Award in 2013."

Makes me really question lots of things, hence the word "Impressively".

12. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Auction house estimates have been generous since the 2013 peak. Some are laughable. Scottsdale will be interesting as their are some nice (and not so nice) Dino's being offered.

Jts

13. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    The Arizona auctions are next week.

14. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Maybe this means nothing, but I am not currently in a Dino buying mode.

I missed this car being auctioned.

After seeing this thread, it alerted me to check my files.

At some price, every deal starts to make less sense.

I would have bought this car at this price, regardless of the things I disagree with.

This car has value that never hit the RADAR.

Shawn

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Care to share?

16. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Not for the time being....

Not trying to be an ******, but I completely missed this car.

Let me ask it this way, if you could imagine a super cool person that deserves to own this type of car, and they owned lot's of very impressive Ferrari's in the day, who would it be?

Hint: I am not expecting a guess that will be correct, but when it comes out, I know everyone will agree.

Shawn

17. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    This car would never be platinum at a national show, such as Cavallino or FCA Nationals. I think I remember reading the Platinum was awarded at a smaller regional show. Many of these shows are judged by people who have no idea what is correct on the cars and what is not --- many things wrong with this car. I think it brought fair money for what the car is and IMHO does signify that the Dino market is pretty stable and healthy.

18. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #18 davemqv, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    With due respect I don't see the point in being coy about it. You've already alerted us to the fact that someone notable was the first owner. If this car comes up again, people will now know to ask who that person was.

Besides, how big a premium could it add? Not too many super cool types of the era who were known for owning many Ferrari's that would cause a big premium to be added to a car these days. McQueen never owned a Dino that I've read about. Not sure about Coburn. I know he had a 308 at one point. He had a bunch of different models so maybe...

19. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    This observation holds true at FCA Nationals too (never been to Cavalino to comment on that venue's judging). If it wasn't for Matthias at 2015 Monterey FCA Nationals, all sorts of glaringly incorrect things would have slipped past the judges. Sometimes it's dependent on how many class entries there are...the more entries, the more rushed the judges are to judge every car, and thus more likely to miss the less obvious issues.

20. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    What is a GTS with chairs and flares worth (US model, excellent shape & recently serviced)?

21. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    So the seller took approx. $260K minus transportation costs and fees

22. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #22 cnpapa24, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    No, that's buyers premium. No way of knowing what Seller took home. It's possible he netted the hammer price or more as most deals are negotiated on the block at Mecum and the auction house is motivated to sell the car if it doesn't hit reserve.

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#23 dinogts, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    I don't think the ownership history of this particular Dino - 03712 - is that much of a mystery. The first owner listed in the Dino Register is a Barry Barin (who doesn't appear to be famous, unless Barry Barin is a nom de plume of a celebrity of your choice).

The listed second owner was Edwin K. Niles, who is more important in the Ferrari world. Here's a short video clip regarding Ed --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49H5s8rFGSU

Now, with respect to what's wrong, well, for starters: it has the wrong taillights - they should be all red for a USA car - they should be red Carello 12.31.717 for the rear direction indicators and red Carello 12.31.718 for the rear brake lights - (don't rely on the photo of the supposed USA model at page 232 of the Dino Compendium as that Dino does not have the correct taillights), the engine is missing the switch (smog equipment related) on top of the cam cover (the Dino Compendium however does have a more correct photo of the US model engine compartment at page 214), the finish on the cam covers and the carb airbox cover are incorrect, and it looks like this Dino is missing much of the smog equipment, including the diverter valve and the fuel vapor separator canister, among other things.

Still though, most of the missing and incorrect items are relatively easily (but expensive) to fix, and I agree with Shawn (assuming Ed Niles' ownership is what he was referring to) that Ed's ownership would add to its value, and it also might be worth even more if there was important celebrity ownership in its history (thinking, for example - Steve McQueen). If I had been in the market, I would have paid more for this Dino.

Mark

24. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    mark , barin may not be the original owner, he just happens to be first in the register. dz

25. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    To me the bigger incorrect items are the fact that it is a US spec car and it does not have the rear rectangular tail lights --- so the mounting points have been filled and at a minimum the rear panel would have been painted ---- but this is clearly evident as the other big item IMHO is the rear interior shelf behind the seats is black vinyl and not the original fiberglass painted body color. Many times when owners would paint these cars this interior panel would not get painted because to do it properly the body shop would have to take the rear glass out to gain access - and they are a pain to put back in, not to mention the possibility of breaking the glass. Consequently, a popular fix is to put black vinyl over the panel like how GTS's were produced.