246 factory options... | FerrariChat

246 factory options...

Discussion in '206/246' started by davemqv, Jan 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just confirming my research on 246's ...please let me know if I'm right or wrong. Thanks!

- Headlamp covers were not a factory option.

- Wood Steering wheel was a factory option.

- Nose bar was a factory option.

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It is my understanding that for the 246 all three options you cited were dealer installed options but not installed at the factory.

Others can chime in with more info but I believe that only the 206 came with a wood wheel from factory.

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #3 Wheels1, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agreed all dealer fit options.
    I would have thought even 206 came with wooden wheel or a leather wheel on request the same as a Daytona.

Drivers door mirror was factory option, not just dealer fit. This pic was posted in the Aus. section of the factory in 1973
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    How about the fender flares? Wasn't that an option besides the Daytona seats?

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have seen a number of interesting details like this mirror in the image factory fitted to Australia delivered Ferrari's (not just Dino's). I am not quite sure what arrangement Ferrari had with the Australian importer but I believe things like this mirror are special exceptions that cannot be referenced as fact for other markets.

As for the fender flares that would have been part of the 'chairs and flares' package. From memory I believe I have seen a factory Daytona seat car without flares but I don't ever remember seeing a flares car without Daytona seats. Take that as a memory only and not as fact.

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Headlamp covers were available to purchase, but not generally fitted on Dino's when leaving the factory. The UK Dino's had them fitted by The UK distributor after receiving them from the factory. As with everything Ferrari - nothing is ever steadfast, there were Dino's that had the covers fitted at the factory.

Wood steering wheel was not an option, but early Dino's had them before switching to leather wheels. After the switch to leather, any wood wheel would have been sourced from a dealer or elsewhere.

Nose bar was an accessory, not an option. Very few made their ways onto Dino's but you can still see them today. Generally not factory fitted, but Some Dino's had them installed at the factory.

Mirrors were an accessory, not an option. They came with the car, just rarely fitted by the factory. The factory did fit mirrors. There are different types fitted by the factory. The photo shown shows a Chromodora Astro III. Very rare to find today.

Daytona style seats were an option that could be selected for leather or vinyl interiors, but this was an option only offered in later production cars.

Wide wheels and fenders was an option offered in later production cars.

Typically referred to a "Chairs and Flairs" ( multiple spellings) or a "Sebring" package, but the options were separate and few cars had both as selected items, something that has created all kinds of tall tells to create a sense of rarity, fakery and restoration upgrades all along the way.

Clear as mud, huh?

Shawn

7. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    perfectly correct Shawn... regards from Cavallino Classic... we miss you here... ��

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #8 Wheels1, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is LHD at the factory with a door mirror.
    Maybe it was just later cars
    Photo from same thread
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Explain in a bit more detail Shawn, my car had "chairs & flares" fitted as the factory option £40 and about 23 UK RHD GT cars were delivered with this option. wider campy wheels £240
    and power windows £96

The nose bar & headlamp covers where fitted by the dealer if I recall correctly.

Some UK cars had flared wheel arch extensions but no Daytona seats.

Tony

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    A very early 206 (00120) is at my mechanics shop, but I didn't notice what kind of steering wheel it had...but definitely wasn't wood which would stand out w/o paying much attention.

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Shawn and everyone else who chimed in!

12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    It was NOT a package- Daytona seats and flared fenders/Campy wheels were separate. I have seen many cars with chairs and no flares, and at least one with flares/Campys and standard seats.

13. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Occasionally I do local judging, if the Dino has head light covers, is that a deduction because it "probably" didn't exit the factory with them? Fortunately so far, all of the Dino owners in the area admitted to adding them after delivery. But, its just a matter of time before that question comes up at an concours.
    Thanks

14. 4redude

4redude Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2005
    Fungus Corner
    Full Name:
    Brian Keegan
    The front bumper protection bar may have been an option, but was also an accessory that was sold just like any other spare part for the car. It is not listed in the parts book but the part number for it is 20285508 and it is still available.

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

It didn't do much for protection - if some backed into your Dino, you not only ended up with a dented front and hood, but also a bent bar.

16. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Two more options?

A major one - Air Conditioning!

And, a Sebring (emergency top) for your gts.