Need Dino Under tray ( the big one ) | FerrariChat

Need Dino Under tray ( the big one )

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Great 1st drive today and car runs great.

However, when I hit 100 mph, the entire under-tray flew off and was destroyed !

How should I replace this ? Available anywhere ? Do I have to make one ?

Thanks,

Skipp

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Early cars are a flat fiberglass sheet while the later cars are aluminum. Your biggest problem is going to come in matching the rivet holes. Chances are you best bet is to have a new piece made locally because the cost of shipping will be high and it will still not yield you a ready to install piece.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Well I bet that was.....exciting!

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    It's just a flat aluminum sheet with a few V-grooves from a bead roller. Easy to have made at a sheet metal shop. There are also the recessed access panels that need to be made. If you have your old one you may be able to transfer your rivet hole locations to the new one.
    I did that on mine and all the holes lined up perfectly!

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I thought the engine was blowing it made so much noise. It was right at my first trip toward redline. I saw stuff flying in the rear view mirror. It almost seemed like cardboard and saw dust. It was on a freeway, so I couldn't really go back. Probably way to late now.

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Searched 485 loop around Charlotte last night and saw no sign of it. Oh well. Time to fabricate. Thanks for the feedback.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    That must have been an exciting ride.. lot better then engine parts flying....
    hopefully no damage .....to the car etc...

8. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I kept my old original under tray if you need dimensions and pictures.

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Definitely. Thanks. I'll be in touch soon.

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Skipp, now is a great moment to look for rust on the chassis tubes ;)

Regards, Alberto

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Been doing that. Luckily it's all of the surface variety. Going to do the POR-15 treatment before undertray gets fabricated. Any tips ?

Thanks,

Skipp

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
  13. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #13 pshoejberg, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have never bought one but I cannot imagine that there is anything wrong with the SF under tray. You will be down with +- 500$ before it is delivered at your doorstep and still having to make dimensional adjustments and holes for rivets. I had an under tray produced in high quality aluminum locally for my 308 for a fraction of that price and that worked out perfectly. Personally, I would do as Rob recommends and take the time to make a template in wood or cardboard. The challenge is to transfer the existing rivet holes to the template, but that should be feasible. Then make that template into a sketch / drawing and go to the local cut & bend factory and ask them to produce the bottom. Maybe someone here can provide you with detailed pictures / drawings of an original bottom so you can get your new one close to original with respect to inspection hatches and V-groves?

Best regards

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You don't say which undertray you need but the FG undertray from SF In my experience is a good copy and needs minimal modification and is a lot less hassle than getting it made by a local shop even in ally, your biggest problem is locating the existing rivet holes which is feasible but a waste of time. Just drill new ones once you have it in position. Fix it with self tapping screws in opposing corners first to make sure you are happy with the position.

Treat the chassis with Dinotrol beforehand and after on the cills.

My concern would be why it fell off in the first place as it has a lot of rivets to secure it.

My car is a 73 e series and has a fibreglass full undertray.

15. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Tony wrote: My concern would be why it fell off in the first place as it has a lot of rivets to secure it.

+1

The panels are rivited to the bottom panel as well so it should be a fairly rigid construction . Why this have happened to a car in good condition is quite strange unless the previous owner have jumped over a lot of bumps.

16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    My hypothesis is that the previous owner took the tray off for inspection and did not re-attach it correctly. I can see the remains of many of the new looking rivets on the chassis. Since it was my first drive, I never had it on the lift prior to the drive to view the situation prior to the panel flying off. I do know the chassis is solid and the rivets are still attached to the chassis, so this issue was likely with the condition of the now destroyed under tray or the quality of the rivets themselves, or the quality of the rivet installation. I'm pretty sure the owner did this work himself, so who knows. Once a corner came loose at 100 mph, the wind force easily started popping rivets and once part of the tray hit the pavement, the violence began.

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    How's this idea :

-Buy Superformance under tray ( I know shipping is expensive but don't care )
    -POR15 rust protect the chassis areas filling in the previous rivet holes.
    -Install new undertray by drillling and riveting new holes.

18. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Nothing wrong with that plan. Also consider the Dinitrol suggested earlier and then it might be wise to put in some noise reduction foam....The list is long...-:). Try the search function for inspiration and lots of good advise.

Best Peter

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks guys. Is Dinitrol the same type product as POR15 ?

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    An easy way to make an exact template of your rivet holes is to take a roll of tracing paper, cut long strips, tape them together then tape the large sheet to your underbody and mark out your unique rivet locations and the perimeter of your underbody. Then spray mount the big sheet on the aluminum or fiberglass tray. Pretty straightforward.

Freeman

21. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    THIS, is a great idea!

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Just finished sanding and scraping the surface rust. Zero rot thank God !

POR15 up next and then the Superformance tray. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

23. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Uhh, if I ever have to do that, I think I'd just hire Freeman to do it! ;)

24. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I would highly recommend you treat the area with a good quality cavity wax like dinotrol.

por 15 is a paint and it will not penetrate everywhere, especially the joints and seams, also the product comes in spray cans for easy application.

Treat exposed areas with a rust converter and then a good cavity wax. Check out there site for tips and recommendations.

No foam or sound proofing as this can trap water and / or moisture.

25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #25 Skippr1999, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Tony. I'm going to do this in stages as time allows. Right now I'm only working on the under tray area. I'll consider spraying Dinitrol, etc in the future. Right now it's POR-15 on the frame areas and structures under the tray area.

Before any work.