Do you let Friends drive your Dino? | FerrariChat

Do you let Friends drive your Dino?

Discussion in '206/246' started by dino2X6lover, Feb 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    Obviously you love your Dino (or garage queen, for some). Do you let your friends drive your Dino?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You clearly haven't seen that scene with the parking attendant and the Cal Spider in Ferris Beuller's Day Off. That's what my friends would do with the Dino.

3. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I let my old girlfriend drive it around the block once just so I could see what it looked like coming down the road. It looked so cool.

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Friends, if proven good mannered and mechanically gentle, absolutely yes!

Now, if it is a car with all sorts of strange habits that only I know, no way.

Let's face it, there are 'friends' that never warm up an engine, or shift in a kind way,
    rev the motor in neutral to 7K...I just say it outright, that I am very particular with my cars.

My son, 100% :)

Regards, Alberto

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    NO in general . but maybe my nephew .. a real car guy has driven all of my cars can't remember if he drove the Dino..

6. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Would you let someone sleep with your girl...?

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    My Dino is only a GT4, but I've let plenty of people drive it.

So many people have never even ridden in a Dino/Ferrari, much less driven one. Offering them the drivers seat makes them so happy. If that's all it takes to make someone happy, then I am fine with it.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Sure why not. The key word is 'Friend' ; someone who understands me and respects my property. At the end of the day its just a machine.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Never owned a Dino, but dozens (100+ ?) of other vintage cars I've had (and have), all been driven by friends whom most have allowed me to drive theirs. Incidentally, a very good friends (a couple with several vintage cars of their own) are coming next week to visit from Europe, as they do every year or two and I'll always let them take any of my vintage cars for few days to drive and enjoy around Southern California, although I'm pretty sure I know which it's going to be this time.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My friends are encouraged to drive any of my cars. Many of them would never get a chance to drive an exotic otherwise. Everyone should drive a Ferrari at least once.

11. Watsonvg

Watsonvg Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    Milan
    Full Name:
    Flavio
    Absolutely not ! The only persons that can drive my Dino in rare cases are my wife and my sons but only because they drive very well and perfectly know the mechanics of the engine and the gearbox, clutch etc and they respect it to 100%.
    My wife was my mechanic :) when I raced in karts.

I verified , unfortunately, that even simply sitting down into the car some stupid people was able to make damages, for instance bending the steering wheel while attempting to exit

So very few people are 'admitted' into the car.

With the Testarossa, on the contrary , I'm less severe...
    With Dino I have a particular feeling...
    It's there since 1972 ... you know.

12. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Of course I let friends drive it. They are most respectful and diligent.

I let kids sit in it.

Why would you not ?

13. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    One of my friends has a Ferrari Daytona. I've driven his car, and he has driven mine. No one else. Not even my son. Although maybe one of these years.

14. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    When my father in law was visiting from overseas, I let him sit in the passenger seat of my Dino. It was the first time he had ever sat in a Ferrari. I warmed up the engine and took a spin around the hills. He was just floored by the experience.

Even though he is known for being a terrible driver (lead foot. Slams on brakes at every stop), I couldn't help but give him a try. Each time he changed gears, I couldn't help but cringe inside (I actually feel goose bumps on my back just thinking about it). All I could hear is crunch...vroom...crunch....vroom....Crunch! It was nerve wrecking to say the least.

It's been about six months since that drive and my wife tells me that each time they speak over the phone, her dad finds a way to sneak the Dino into the conversation in some way, shape, or form. I can only wonder what he's been telling his group of retired friends he hangs out with given they brag about even the smallest and insignificant of things. Crossed a big one off the bucket list.

Looking back, it was worth sharing the ride...not sure if I'll ever have the strength to do it again though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    No..........not ever

16. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    Just a testimonial: not a Dino, but I have a friend who has a 365 GTC / 4. For an Italian cars event a few years ago, he spontaneously proposed to me to manage his car for the whole day. Take it home, make about 30 kms to go to the event, present it to the public, and return home at the end of the day. Obviously, it was the first time he entrusted me one of his cars, and he was behind me with his Daytona. It was a huge responsibility and a great experience, even if it was too short ! And in any case, a great mark of confidence. I'll never forget...

The event : https://goo.gl/photos/oeoZFEpUBneLtwvv9
    The Daytona and the GTC/4 https://goo.gl/photos/2WxyqmPvoisp7yL78
    Smile ! https://goo.gl/photos/XQKjGe2Z3XeLL7Jg6