Need Help with a brake line !!!! | FerrariChat

Need Help with a brake line !!!!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #1 Skippr1999, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi everyone,

While changing the rubber brake lines on the left rear caliper, my friend accidentally broke off the hard, metal brake line that goes to the "T" junction behind the trunk area heat shield. The heat shield is a solid piece that gives no access through the trunk. The heat shield can only be bent down an inch or so on the bottom to even see this "T" junction.

How can you get a tool in there to unscrew this hard brake line ? Do you have to drill rivets and remove the entire heat shield to change this hard brake line ? I really don't want to do that. Any technique for this ?

Any insight Much appreciated,

Skipp
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The heat shield will likely have to come out and this means drilling out rivets. Be sure to soak the assembly with PB Blaster or another penetrant and use flare end wrenches to avoid rounding off your fittings.

Another approach would be to remove the access panel between the trunk and engine that is necessary for engine removal. This MAY give you the access you need. Either way you have a BIG job ahead of you and while at it you may want to replace both hard lines at the rear.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for your reply.

Rather than tear everything apart, how about just cutting and riveting a new access door into the heat shield so these lines can be changed when needed without this ordeal ?

I'm a stickler for originality, but I have my limits.

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Personally, I would replace ALL the brake lines on a car as old as this one. They are not part of 'originality', they are part of staying alive...

It is a matter of preventive maintenance, as a burst line is not a pretty experience.

Buy a bending kit, many feet of Cupronickel lines, fittings and off you go.

Regards, Alberto

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks Alberto, some have been replaced and some haven't. The issue is access to the area. Was hoping to not have to remove all the trunk pieces to get to this area. I have the new lines, just trying to gain access.

6. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I want talking about originality of the brake lines, rather the idea of cutting a access hole into the heat shield so that these brake lines could be changed without having to drill 20 rivets to remove the trunk floor and the access hatch to the engine area, or remove the entire heat shield separating the engine compartment and the trunk.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #7 TTR, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Other than ignoring, there are no easy ways to deal with issues like this on any 40+ year old vintage cars. Brakes, steering, suspension and tires are the last things one should approach without willingness to do everything correctly and completely.
    I've dealt with more than one Daytona in which OEM brake line tubings have failed due to aging/(external)corrosion.

BTW, the structural(?) panel or tubing in the middle of the last photo appears to exhibit some fairly serious corrosion and it might be a good idea to investigate further when removing whatever panels are required to gain proper access to replace all brake lines.

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I believe that a proper dis-assembly is required here rather than the creation of an access panel. I am normally the first one to jump down Ferrari's throat for not making a car user friendly to work on but in this case the hard lines are far from a service item. They are fairly permanent fixtures to maybe be replaced every 30-40 years.

In this instance I would not focus on getting a wrench on the fittings on the T junction. Rather disconnect the hard lines at each side (where they transition to soft lines) and from the brake compensation valve that feeds the T. This way all you need to focus on is the removal of the one M6 nut that holds the T in place on the chassis and you can remove the entire assembly as a whole. This would make a world of difference to the access required for removal and allow you much better access when trying to split the whole assembly apart. In this fashion you might get lucky and have enough access to avoid removing any shields or the center trunk median.

9. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    and perhaps that `friend' too!

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I've been thinking about this strategy too, but may just remove the trunk panels to treat the surface rust at the same time.

11. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Do you self a favor...do not "cut" in anything to get access, you will eventually end up with a Swiss cheese...-:). These cars are too valuable to cut and hack in if you ask me. Put you self in a buyers place and think of all the the good arguments for not getting full value for the car one day in the future. Rob's advice will help you a lot and you will have free access to a good part of the remaining aft end pipes for change out if you like.

Best Peter

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks to all that responded. No Hacking will occure. I've been working on the car for a month now and have been photo documenting everything. I'll be sharing the process soon.

Skipp

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Great news !

Removed trunk to engine trap door / heat shield and gained great access. Thanks again to those who responded.