Matthias Bartz's Sebring Racing 206 #00306 featured on/in Cavallino #217 Feb/Mar 2017 | FerrariChat

Matthias Bartz's Sebring Racing 206 #00306 featured on/in Cavallino #217 Feb/Mar 2017

Discussion in '206/246' started by dinogts, Mar 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#1 dinogts, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just happened to see the latest Cavallino #217, February/March 2017, which features Matthias Bartz's 206, Serial # 00306, on the cover and inside the centerfold. For you newbies, #00306 was entered by N.A.R.T. and raced in the 1969 12 Hours of Sebring, with Bob Dini and Sam Posey bringing the car home in 36th overall, and 1st in class S 9.

The article mentions that when a sales link to the car was posted on FerrariChat that the "strange looking Dino 206 GT got a caning by the users on www.ferrarichat.com due to its halfhearted modification to 206 S looks and its poor overall condition." [Hey, we really know our stuff here, don't we!].

Anyway, the Cavallino article by Andreas Birner is a great read that honors the history of the Dino, and Matthias' skilled eye in recognizing what this car really was, and his perseverance in researching and restoring this Dino back to its truly competitive soul.

Congrats to Matthias for his dedication, to Andreas for a thorough and detailed presentation, and to Cavallino for sharing the story with us all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A wonderful article and a fitting heirloom to immortalize the story of #00306

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

One odd thing I noticed about the article.

The article says the Dino was raced with 5.5/9.20-14 Goodyear Blue Streak racing tires. Matthias' Dino is now wearing BFGoodrich tires . . . .

Does Goodyear or Coker, or someone else, build or market a 5.5/9.20-14 tire for racing still? I think Freeman Thomas mentioned something about remarking the sidewalls at one point somewhere else in the 206/246 section - perhaps about Matthias' restoration of 00306?

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    very nice story and very special car

5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Goodyear Blue Streaks are no longer made. I tried to find some for a 1957 BMW 507 that ran on them in hillclimbs in the late 50's. The ones that were on the car before being restored were from the early 70's...not exactly something you could trust 40 years later! But if someone can offer up a reference, I'd also appreciate the info (in addition to Matthias).

6. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #6 GermanDino, Mar 10, 2017
    had to put BFGoodrich tyres on... thanks to Freeman added the Goodyear sticker....

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #7 Nuvolari, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Matthias the Goodyear stickers you have are much too large and nothing like what would have been on period. Also Goodyear changed their logo and font a little and you have the later one. Send me an email and we can sort this out for you :)

8. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    #8 GermanDino, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    yes, the lettering is a bit too thick... but looks ok to me ...
    PM sent :)

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The original letters would have been thinner font, spaced further apart, and not italicized. All of this can be seen in the original images of your spare tire. Easily corrected with the right artwork.

10. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #10 HMB-Dino, Mar 12, 2017
    An example showing the old style font. This BMW was last driven in 1975 before it went thru a total restoration recently. I had never noticed that GOODYEAR font changed, but then again I don't have the insane eye for detail that Rob has!