246 or M1 | FerrariChat

246 or M1

Discussion in '206/246' started by Iceblue, Mar 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Hey guys

Let's just say that both cars where the same price.
    What car would you choose .

1981 BMW M1 or 1972 246 GT

I have never driven neither. I have sat in both.

The dino felt like a go kart, the M1 felt very German / Lambo with a offset steering and pedal cluster.

Both cars are mid engine 6 cylinder 2.4 Ltr vs 3.5 Ltr with italian heritage.

The Dino or the M1

I love them both and looking to find my next car.

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia

Aesthetically, no contest, imo. The M1 is certainly more novel.

Don't the M1's have some weird, irreplaceable, injection ecu that can brick the car?

Best.

3. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    When I was looking over cars to purchase, I considered the M-1 along with the Dino. That was when the price was pretty comparable. I showed the M-1 to my wife, who exercises undue influence in my purchasing decisions, and she turned her nose up at it. That was ok with me, the Dino was first choice.

For one thing I prefer to not have pop-up headlights and the styling is pretty pedestrian. The BMW probably has a wider choice of seating adjustment and I definitely like the toque of a BMW 6, but the RPM range of the Dino is magical.

They will both draw a crowd, but when it comes to driving or just looking at it in the garage - nothing beats a Dino.

Just my 2 cents,

Ken

4. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    246... it's a Ferrari, what more can we say.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    They are very different cars aesthetically and dynamically, and were created in different periods. The M1 is more contemporary and in another class in terms of performance, to me they drive like a BB but aren't as nervous. The Dino is a classical experience in every respect but doesn't have the power or performance of the M1. Both are great cars it just comes down to personal preference.

6. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Great feedback, thanks guys.

I have sold my Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider with a freshly rebuilt engine. The sound of that v6 was pure harmony. The look of the Dino is simply beyond Sexy.

I sat in a M1 at Fantasy and the head room was less than impressive.
    My wife also said it looked too boxy and did not have the same appeal as the 246

The price is now an issue and might be a big deciding factor.

Allot of the M1 are miss match engine numbers, made up and not driven.
    The m1 community is also very very limited to 25 as opposed to the DINO several hundreds in the USA.

I drive my cars every weekend. So I need a car that is well sorted out.
    No more restoration project for me.... I have learned my lesson.
    Turn key car or nothing!

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    It looks like as prices increased, and electronic sophistication improved, a recreation of the ignition control unit was created. That's great news for M1 drivers.

If you're looking fir a driver, I would think M1 parts and support would be limited.

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I owned a Dino Spider for 3+ years and put thousands of miles on it. I drove two different M1s, but not extensively. IMO the Dino (coupe or spider) is the way to go without question.

The styling of the M1 is quirky; the Dino is timeless. The M1 definitely has more oomph than the Dino, but neither is going to win any drag races these days. I have it on very good authority that the top speed of a Dino Spider is a tick over 140 mph without any white knuckle misbehavior. I don't know what the M1 does, but it's probably in that ballpark and an academic issue unless you're on the Going For the Sun Rally. Both cars have adequate (although not extravagant) luggage space to serve as weekend trip cars or on tours. I agree with a previous poster that the support network for the Dino would likely be more extensive than for the M1.

This is the telling factor for me: When I got out of the M1, I felt it was an OK car, but that was it, "OK." It didn't light me up with that tingle you get from something really special. The Dino gave me that tingle. It's also a car that you cannot walk away from without turning around and giving it another look, and another.

9. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    I am also coming to the same conclusion.
    The dino appears to have more fluid lines that never ends abruptly.
    Every curves are well executed. Having dabbed into restoring a Fiat Dino 2.4 spider.
    I am somewhat familiar with the wiring and thinking behind the 246. I also know the Dino engine enough to know when it there is something wrong.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The 246 is not fast but has charm. A lot depends on how big you are physically.

Also remember no AC or creature comfort or crash protection. The electrical system is 1960's tech. The headlights are about as effective as two candles. The gearbox can be frustrating when cold. Crawling for an hour through stop and go traffic is not it's forte. As a working machine it has its flaws that everyone will call "personality" -- including me. :)

The 246 is truly a classic car. The M1 is a piece of BMW history but I don't consider it a classic car.

The big thing to look at the 246 is hidden rust covered up with bondo. Most of these were not well taken care of for 20 odd years.

Between the two it would be the Dino but it depends on what you are trying to do with it.

I will say one thing.

If you drive an M1, BMW people will give you a thumbs up
    If you drive a Dino, EVERYONE will give you a thumbs up.

It's a universally loved machine.

11. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If the dino is a chairs flairs car...Yes, otherwise no.
    Plain dino is less in demand...funny , but Chairs/flairs cars are ultra blue chip.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Personally I never liked chairs and flares. The standard seats were pretty enough and the flares looked totally tacked on.

Yes, they are rarer but I don't think they are better.

If you really want blue chip its the 206 gt. IMO, it was the best looking of the entire series.

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I adore the M1. It feels like a much more sorted 328.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Funny I could say that about any German car vs its Italian counterpart.

But we still like the Italian version better. :)

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You need to talk to phil (phil68), he owns both (or owned).
    Send him a PM if he hasn't read this already.

He kindly took me for a long drive in the M1 to a cars and coffee a few years ago, it was blistering and everything you'd expect.
    Very different cars so personal choice is everything, both are an experience.

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#16 dwhite, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Yep, I agree. They look odd and ruin the beautiful fender lip of the wheel well. I would pay less for one, actually I would never buy one.

Sherpa23 may have had both, he definitely had an M1.

17. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Yes Phil and I are good friends and speak daily. I since sold his blue Dino and now has the M1. He has offered me to drive his on several occasion.

I think I am leaning towards the Dino for 3 reason.
    The Dino looks amazing.
    The Dino community is great and parts can be found.
    The Dino is available and is cheaper. If there were only 300 Dino made the 246 would be million dollar car.
    So I am lucky in a way.

18. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great :)
    Good choice.

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I would go for the M1 any day of the week/month/year.

I love the 246 I think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever made and obviously the Ferrari name (even if it's Dino Ferrari) is very very special and will help with the mystique of the car (and value) forever.

BUT

The M1 is probably the single greatest BMW ever made. And I happen to think it's absolutely gorgeous. And the kicker is, it's much more usable than the Dino. Philt68 here has posted extensively about his, and you'll see why he sold the Dino and kept the M1. It's a unique car. I don't care if the Dino will get more thumbs up, knowing I'm in an M1 would always make me feel a lot more special. I realize I'm in the minority, but to me it's not even a contest.

20. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #20 msdesignltd, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is not my car,
    however I have owned 2 chairs/flairs cars and 3 regular dinos, in the 80's and 90's..
    The difference is day and night as far as exclusivity..you can feel it as you drive this special car..

c'mon take a look.
    The M1 is super..but it does not hold the story that the Dino does.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I've owned several Dino's both c & r and standard configuration, I didn't feel anything special. The best Dino I've driven is a standard Euro E series coupe. I've also owned an M1.

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    M1s have never made me lose any sleep or lust for them. Not even when they were 150k.

Dinos are so much sensual and sexy looking. From the few M1s i have heard, they also dont sound nearly as good as the Dinos.

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Good points. I love a sorted Dino, I like an M1.

24. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Are you being serious?

If Flares make you feel like you are driving something special that a "regular" Dino doesn't have, might I suggest you add some go fast stickers to your car as well? That will definitely enhance the feel of any car.

Shawn

25. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #25 msdesignltd, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Ok boys, time to seperate the Alpha males from the girly boys!!!
    Poll please.
    Is the chairs and flairs dino a more special dino?

Lets see
    50% of the end run cars
    2 inch flairs over each corner
    Model specific wheels
    Model specific seats with different headrest configuration than daytona seat.
    50% premium over standard in current market.
    Need the market say more?