Dino help with 71 246 GT Dino Chassis 01968 | FerrariChat

Dino help with 71 246 GT Dino Chassis 01968

Discussion in '206/246' started by Iceblue, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Hey Guys

Has anyone inspected the 1971 Ferrari 246 GT Dino
    Chassis 01968 at Silver Arrow Cars Ltd. Victoria, BC,
    If any has seen this car in the flesh please let me know.

I am poking around for a decent one.
    This one is none original color, " white " wrong seats and never had any engine rebuilt.

1971 Ferrari 246 GT Dino - automobiledigital

This car was also at Mecum and never sold.
    Any story on this car that I need to know.

2. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Visually really appealing. Looks great in black. Incorrect later front bumpers and some other details like Daytona seat trim etc but nothing that keeps you from enjoying it. Has the correct Brandoli style headlamp covers. What's the price? Any books and tools?

Freeman

4. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Hi Freeman

The car was brought to my attention from a friend.

The car was on Ebay recently and never sold and only reached 201,400
    I would be willing to pay a bit more like 210 MAX. The car was originally white. Allot of wrong things, there is also some downshifting issues that are hard to engage on 3 and 2nd. Could be simply as changing the oil to replacing some synchros.

So it leaves me a bit worried. Maybe I should wait for a better one to surface.

5. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    We have done a bunch of work on this car over the last few years.

Feel free to give me a call if you want any info

Craig
    310 937 6700

6. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Hi Craig
    Thanks I will call you in just a few, I can also be reached on my cel 757 652 7892
    I saw a bunch of invoices on the car. I can't get tell if the engine was ever rebuilt on that car? No compression check either.
    There is a bunch of records that are simply missing. I like to get to know as much facts before pulling the trigger.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Great that it's a Euro spec. If the price is right it could be worth it. I found this online 1971 Ferrari Dino 246 GT | Amelia Island 2013 | RM Sotheby's

Note, it mentions tools and a jack.

Freeman

8. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Thanks that helps. So it looks like it was on the block in 2013 RM, Mecum and Ebay.
    Bad omen or what?

9. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Can anyone recommend me a PPI person for this dino in Vancouver? I am all the way in Virginia.

10. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Shame this wasn't last week, I was up in Vancouver inspecting another car for a client

11. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I originally posted about this particular Dino over a month ago. This Dino is in Victoria, BC, on Vancouver Island. I think it is a pretty great looking car, irrespective of whether it has the correct bumpers, has been repainted, etc. Of course, I have no idea about the underlying mechanicals, but I still think it deserves a serious look.

I think I might be able to get a Dino guy or two in the Northwest to take a look at it. Also, there is an internationally famous Mercedes restorer, Rudi von Koniczek, in Victoria. Although he specializes in Mercedes in Victoria, Rudi also takes on other projects and is also well known in Ferrari circles in British Columbia, Canada, and the NW of the U.S. I would call him - even if he can't, or isn't willing to do a PPI on it, I'll bet he'll be able to suggest someone to look at for you.

This is from his website Rudi & Company -

"At Rudi and Company our team represents over 150 years of combined experience in restoring 300SL and other fine automobiles. Our restorations are completed from beginning to end here in Victoria, British Columbia. Restorations from our shop have received accolades and the highest awards whenever they are shown, including Forest Grove, Pebble Beach, Quail, Kirkland, Amelia Island, and 300SL National Conventions to name a few."

Here's his contact information:

[email protected]

or call: +1 (250) 727-6020

Good luck!

12. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Hi Craig thanks
    Yes I wish you could of seen the car. Phil told me about you inspecting the car for him.

13. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Really?
    I would think this car would sell for much more than that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

14. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Well, when you factor in the car has not been driven by a real owner in 4 years, has appeared in 3 auctions in the past 3 years. No paper trail on any engine rebuilt.
    Wrong bumpers, wrong paint color, wrong steering, gauges, hoses, replacement tool and jack.
    Plus synchros shot needs rebuild.

The last Ebay auction brought 201K. My offer was slightly above that.

I am walking away from the car for a more honest car with more paper trail and hopefully a long time owner.

15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Looks like a pretty nice car all around with fairly simple items to correct if you really want to chase concours points. The biggest thing is that only the front bumpers appear to the incorrect whereas normally these are fitted to cars in which the whole front clip is replaced for the later style with the round vents. This car has the correct front clip.

I personally would not hold its recent history against it. It is very easy to determine what the condition of a car is TODAY with a good PPI and judge it accordingly. If your intention is to get a nice clean car to drive and enjoy this could be a good candidate.

If you are after a trophy with all the feel good factors like papers, less owners, etc. expect to pay an additional $100K and it is up to you to determine where your interest and priorities lie; its totally a personal thing but it comes with a cost.

At present I do not see it as possible to get a good clean documented and detailed Dino (not a concours car mind you) with a '2' starting the price.

16. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds like Craig at Fastcars may have a paper trail.
    IMO you can disregard ebay for pricing guidance.
    Omgjon has listed some cars recently that tick all your boxes, but they're priced a bit higher.
    It's my opinion that $210k is far below what this car is currently worth. You may disagree, but I think you will be searching for a while.

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I pretty much agree. For $210K you'll likely get a real mess. I am thinking that "as is," this Dino is pretty easily $270K or more. For what Iceblue is looking for I would expect $300K+. Original tools are roughly $6000 to $8000 alone, another $2000 to $4000 (or more for books, and maybe $1500 to $2500 for a correct jack. [Yes, I know, my estimates for the tools and books could be off $1000 to $2000, but those items sure aren't cheap by any means].

18. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    What I mean about honest car is the entire laundry list, paint, synchros, steerings, gauges and so on. 3 auction in 3 years is not great for any car. Besides, I can't get any information if the engine has been recently rebuilt. Yet alone a compression check from the seller. If I pay in the mid 2's for a Dino then I expect all these to be correct.
    In the 3' it would have to be minty with books papers.....
    I have restored a dino 2 years ago and I know what is required to bring one back to collectors standard and this is not one of them. Not as easy as it looks.
    The seller Tom and Robert are super great guys and would love to do business with them. Simply was not met to be. That's all.