Perfect L dino | FerrariChat

Perfect L dino

Discussion in '206/246' started by msdesignltd, Mar 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well almost
    Couple of parts dont belong
    I love the yellow tail lights when they are new, before they are blackened by exhaust soot.

Autosport Designs

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    That Rosso Rubino color is a great red. Not too flashy.

3. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    #3 rosemeyer, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Agreed about the colour being sharp but based on the last four photos something seems very off with the bodywork at the front and rear of the car. If you compare the L/R wheel openings on both the front and rear it should be obvious. Not at all inexpensive to address.

Beyond this, the semi-gloss finish on on the underside of every opening panel is puzzling given that the chassis seems to be correctly finished.

Going inside, the wheel I believe should be leather (wood for 206 only, no?). Other than the Daytona inserts, which are noted by the seller, there are other aspects of the interior that are off for an L-series.

The above are based on a very cursory examination of the photos and I'm sure other things would come up with a more detailed in person look. At this price point, and with claims of 'best-of', a buyer should be wary IMHO.

I compare this car, for example, with what I've seen from fellow F-Chatter pschoejberg's first-class restoration of his L-series and the shortcomings are considerable.

Best Regards,
    Paul

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    It's always tough to tell definitively from photos, but that doesn't look like Rosso Rubino to me- maybe Rosso Bordeaux?

5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Rosso Dino Bordeaux for sure if correct. There was no Rubino for 206/246.

6. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you are comparing wheel openings on front left and right sides?
    Then the camera angles should be identical.
    In one pic the camera is forward of axle line and in other it is on axle line.
    Aside from dinos not being symetrical i dont see a problem.

7. rosemeyer

rosemeyer Karting

Aug 13, 2010
    #7 rosemeyer, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Michael,

As you correctly noted, the photos are not taken exactly on the same plane, which impacts perspective. I also acknowledge that Dinos are not symmetrical left to right nor do the wheels sit symmetrically in the arches.

For example, take a look at the 2 photos of the rear wheel arches and follow the arc in the area in front of the wheel and behind the door. One arcs smoothly (DS), the other (PS) has a sharp angle around the side body detail line. In my view, there is no way that the slight difference in photographic perspective explains this radical difference. There are various other oddities in the arches but this is the most obvious. This, by the way, is not the first time I have seen this type of thing on restored Dinos and is one of those details that for some reason always catches my eye if not properly done. Maybe I need to get out more :)

Best Regards,
    Paul

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why is it that everytime someone posts something like "nice Dino" someone starts picking it apart?

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I agree that picking apart seems to be a sport around these parts however in this case when a seller starts making some of the 'best around' claims on a car with wheel arches that look like they were shaped after a STOP sign then you open yourself up to some picking. A lot of things look nice on this car while many others make you wonder who was doing the research.

Threads like this actually help less knowledgeable buyers who often lurk and never post to not fall into some of the glorious 'stories' car dealers like to tell.

10. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When terms like "stunning" and "perfect" get tossed around along with a $485k price tag, I think some reality checking is OK...

11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Wood wheel was available on the early L-Series. When I had mine, it was still possible to get some correspondence from my contact at the factory who provided me with documentation that confirmed mine was delivered with a wood wheel.

Freeman

12. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #12 msdesignltd, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    "BONDO"..... was used by the factory as liberally as leather vinyl , steel and aluminum.
    We are at a point today in the auto industry where computer perfection is the only acceptable outcome.
    Personally, I say the imperfections are what add the charm.
    The only perfect dino will be the one that Jim G. decides to let pinin remake. !

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree.

It's definitely not Rosso Rubino.

Matt

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can't wait till I get mine "perfect" and post pictures :)

15. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew