USA Emissions Plate | FerrariChat

USA Emissions Plate

Discussion in '206/246' started by abstamaria, Mar 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #1 abstamaria, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is for Mark (and for posterity), who needed a photo of the USA emissions plate on the underside of my engine bay lid. Apparently, they differ from model to model.

Andres
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #2 abstamaria, Mar 25, 2017
  3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#3 dinogts, Mar 27, 2017
    Thank you, Andres!

I have made identical USA emission plates for the 1974 246 GTS and GT, 1973 GTS and GT, and I am currently having 1972 GTS and GT USA emission plates made, and they do differ, in some subtle ways.

For example, in the upper right corner on a USA GT, the plate spacing is

DINO 246 G T

while on a GTS, the spacing and is different, and "246" is missing:

DINO GTS

Further, in 1973 and 1974, the conformation language reads:

THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO U. S. DEPT. OF E. P. A.

The conformation language for 1972 -

THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO U. S. DEPT. OF H. E. W.

seems odd because the E.P.A. (Environmental Protection Agency) came into being on December 2, 1970. HEW referred to the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.

The Dino Compendium has a photo of USA emissions plate for a 1974 GTS in the bottom right corner of page 245. I asked Matthias if he had any photos of the USA emissions plates for other years and models of the Dino, and he told me that he didn't. I thought might be helpful to others if I posted examples some additional examples here. (vroom kindly allowed me to take a photo of the USA emissions plate on his 1973 GTS - they are very hard to take photos of in situ).

Mark

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Oh they would be a nice addition to any car that hasn't got them, I need to look up the word HYPOCRITE just to refresh my memory what it means.

5. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    i like the FERRARI script and the CAVALLINO on the plate. END DEBATE !

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Another plate on which Ferrari appears then. The ones I knew before are the manufacturer's plate on the door jamb and the Shell oil plate. I can't recall of the plate on the engine bay bulkhead has Ferrari on it as well.

7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #7 4CamGT, Mar 27, 2017
    Emission plate also shows Dino as "Model" and not manufacturer or otherwise. Also 206 up to early E-Series (don't know up to when) had the Ferrari bulkhead chassis plate similar to other Ferrraris. Note it says Dino under "Type/Tipo" and not manufacturer or other here as well.

Freeman

8. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#8 dinogts, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    Hi Tony -

I was waiting and hoping you would chime in! THANK YOU!!

Let me help you with understanding the word HYPOCRITE by putting it into a context that just maybe you'll be able to follow.

My USA emissions plates are marked on the back as reproductions, unlike your copied tools that can be passed off as originals to unsuspecting buyers (who can end up paying THOUSANDS OF $$$$) to someone further up the sales chain who originally bought them from you. So, you might want to look up HONESTY while you are in the Hs of your Funk & Wagnalls. (You better Google F & W if you think I'm swearing at you, not that it matters much to me).

Jeez, and I notice you're still unsubscribed too, after promoting your repro tools.

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Heaven forbid you are making fakey doo items, what ever next, copying the Ferrari script / logo as well!!
    How times change, stand for what you believe but you should stay true to your word and print it across the front of the plate..........
    Tony

10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#10 dinogts, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    I use the term passing off NOT in all of its meanings and details (an actionable tort at common law), but in essence the law of passing off is designed to prevent misrepresentation in the course of trade to the public. My concern was in "passing off" as an original what is in fact a reproduction to an unsuspecting buyer.

Everyone says your tools are perfect or nearly so (congrats) but the issue that I have consistently raised is that a person that buys your tools could (if the tools are as good as others say) easily pass them off as being a $5000 or $6000 (who knows - maybe $7000 or $8000) set of original tools to a naïve subsequent purchaser. My plates don't have that problem. UNLESS someone figures out how to grind off and resurface the backside of my emission plates, they cannot be confused as originals and resold for a higher price. Now, in general, your tools and my emission plates make no difference for judging purposes, just like a well done repaint in the original color. But, your tools ARE susceptible to being passed off and sold for much much more than what they cost, unless, of course, they aren't as good as others say. So, times have not changed - my point, like the song, remains the same.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Mark
    Thanks for the compliment those tools took over 2 years to perfect, but you miss the fundamental point in that you are making a reproduction item to replace a non available part, exactly the point you criticised me for. Once your label is riveted in situ it would be passed off as original, the value be it $1 or $10K is irrelevant.

Tony

12. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Uhh, your tools aren't marked as repros ANYWHERE on them, but my emissions labels are, and no one buying one of my emissions labels could resell it by itself (at least not very easily) without it being apparent. And, once mounted in a car, it adds maybe only $200 to the value of the Dino. Original tools and tool rolls, on the other hand, get routinely sold for 25 to 45 times that amount, whether in the car or not, which invites and increases the benefit of deception down the line. So, price DOES matter, at least with respect to incentives to cheat others. NOTE - I am not saying you are cheating, only that a very attractive opportunity to do so is presented to the subsequent purchaser of your tools. Under the circumstances, to minimize that threat, you should be charging $4000 to $5000 yourself (and I would suggest they are likely worth it), just as long as you make it clear to the first purchaser that the tools were custom made by you (and are perhaps of better quality than the originals).

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Perhaps that is how they can tell the difference, mine are much better and like your labels....brand new.

You also forget mine were (no longer available) sold to Dino owners only so would stay with the car and not sold to anyone willing to part with some cash. Its up to each individual to validate the part, just like yours when attached to the car, will the owner remove it to check. I doubt it.

Like I said, value is irrelevant in my opinion but you are entitled to your p.o.v. Just be consistent.

Tony

14. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

You sold your tools ONLY to Dino owners? That is interesting. I had no idea that you did that. I don't recall you mentioning that in any of your posts regarding your tools before. How did you verify Dino ownership? How many sets did you make? The basic underlying issue in all of this has been the presence of speculators purchasing something, holding it for resale, and then misrepresenting the items as originals, and how does one prevent that from happening at the least possible cost to the producer of the items in question. Clearly it is good for suppliers to make replacements for lost or damaged items, especially when the original manufacturer has no interest in doing so. I hadn't thought about asking for some sort of proof as to ownership of a Dino.

We both may be closer on this matter than we thought originally! :)

Be that as it may, I think I have been consistent about this. But if my understanding of what you are saying now as to how you sold your tools, well, there is not much of a disagreement about that then between us, as far as I can tell. If all of what you say about how and to whom you sold your tool sets, and if they look and work better than my cheaply made originals, then maybe I should have bought a set from you. I'd have even let you inscribe them with the serial # of my Dino with a Dremel tool!

15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    With the greatest respect most of your questions are none of your business, but if you read post 9 then you will see they were only ever intended to dino owners.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/438934-repro-dino-tools.html

No more are made but you could always buy a Dremel for yourself :)

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I think I am going to put the words "REPRODUCTION" on all the body parts we make, but really do not see the point.

Nah, really ridiculous, as after all there may be some unscrupulous buyer that might pass them off as originals, then they might be worth a lot more, no, actually that is really a good idea, I never thought I might create a black market for Dino noses or grilles, or tail sections,
    and Heaven's forbid, fibreglass with red threads in it. From now on it shall be deep purple.

What a conundrum...this is so confusing, maybe my lawyer will have a thought or two about it, but then I just might request a proof of ownership for said parts, but then what if it is the fellow from 'Linea Rossa'? Or even Classiche? But then clearly, it would a 'rebody', so no longer an original Dino, oh my...and what about the Mafia, 'Ndrangheta, or the Chinese?

Oops, big Freudian slip from the delightfully creative Canadian Carbonio Bros, replicating
    the dreaded engine compartment light, and after making tens of thousands of said lights, are traveling strictly by Gulfstream, and clearly not the small one...

Tony, clearly, you are an evil man without principles (just checked my Funk & Wagnalls about the word) and you obviously have none.

You made such gorgeous tools that now I am tempted to sell them to all the gullible people out there,
    buy a 200, no actually a 250 foot yacht with the proceeds and move to Monaco.

Will you join me?

Andres, it all started with an innocent request, and look where it ended. Amazing!
    May I make 'unmarked' reproductions from your photos, and I promise I will not tell where I got the images, as there is no 'copyright', bad boy Andres :) !

Regards, Alberto

17. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, Alberto. Quite amusing. I trust you are keeping well.

With best wishes,

Andres

18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Would love to Alberto, I had dreams of buying a Yacht in Monaco, even a small one but alas all I got was enough to hire a rowing boat on the village duck pond. !!

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Tony, but what happened to the tools, I thought it was going to be me catching up with you in Monaco:)!

Andres, after I make the tool sales, you will both be my guests, flight included ;),
    thank you for asking, I am quite well, considering the madhouse country I live in,
    but then, who is not.

By the way, I have a vintage Dremel tool with low mileage, think it will sell, Bonham's perhaps?

Regards, Alberto