Superformance uprated 75 amp alternator ? | FerrariChat

Superformance uprated 75 amp alternator ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Does anyone know whether you use the original 60 amp alternator fuse on the firewall with this higher amp alternator ? Or, does using this new alternator necessitate a 75 amp fuse on the firewall ?

Thanks,

Skipp

2. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    You should keep the 60 Amp fuse. The total current consumption of the Dino remains the same, and that is what determines the rating of the fuse.

Having a alternator rated 75 Amps just means that you have higher margin of safety in case of short circuit or overload somewhere. So, just better all-around.

Lars

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thank you Lars,

I also understand that since this unit has a built in volatage regulator that I have to disconnect the red voltage regulator under the dash and make a jumper to bridge a couple of connections. Does anyone have a good explanation. Of exactly how this is done ?

I've seen this thread, but not completely clear.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/268373-dino-diy-alternator-alternatives-how-connect-alts-w-internal-voltage-regltr.html

I've also ordered the oil drip shield from dinoparts to help things going forward.
    Thanks again for any help.

Skipp