Throttle cable break | FerrariChat

Throttle cable break

Discussion in '206/246' started by daviekj, Apr 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    #1 daviekj, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spring has arrived and decided to take the Dino out for first run of the year. After ~2 miles, approaching main road junction, throttle cable broke. Luckily on slow down to junction and not on pulling out.

Pulled out a long nylon tie from the emergency tool bag and pulled the throttle open to around 2000 rpm. crawled home in second gear.

Attached are some pictures of the break and replacement.

The replacement cable was the right hand drive one from Superformance: Ferrari Parts for 246, 308, 348, 355, 360 and all of the Ferrari range.

Took the opportunity to purchase and install the rear rubber dust boot from same supplier. Both cable and boot fit nicely.

Now, as usual, this relatively simple exercise involved mission creep..... to the valve shim service. see next post.

Kevin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You drive it much too hard....

3. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Wouldn't mind if that was true ;-), but I was slowing down for the junction and gently blipped the throttle when changing down.... Just releived it did not happen on pulling out at the junction. That would have been much more exciting.
    Kevin

4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I had a brand new Superformance cable break within 50 miles of new!

5. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Now you have me worried. Did think of making my own up out of thicker braided wire, silver soldering to the drilled out original threaded end. What did you use second time around?

6. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    The same thing!!!!!???

7. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Today I went to warm the Dino up. However, there was only a ~cm of throttle travel on the peddle. No potential for cable slip engine end, so has to be under the peddle assembly. An hour later removing the under panel, yes, indeed the cable had pulled through the securing nut and obviously frayed on peddle release..

Interestingly, the parts manual shows quite different right an left hand drive throttle linkages at peddle assembly end. Left hand drive has a nicely engineered securing clip similar to that engine bay end, whereas, right hand drive has a quadrant with simple bolt and hole to trap the cable. The latter clamping somewhat crude.

I suspect the washer under the hex head of the clamping bolt is preventing adequate cable clamping. The parts manual does not show a washer, but this would result in a) bolt hex head tightening directly on the aluminium quadrant (not great engineering) and b) cable distorting too much on tightening.

A few questions for those with right hand drive cars that may have been through this….

1) What does your peddle end throttle cable clamping look like?

2) Any recommendations on best cable to buy for replacement?

In 2017 I used a Superformance one. Feels a bit thin and vulnerable especially around the clamping nut.

Attached Files:

8. fhenley

fhenley Rookie

Sep 5, 2022
    Saratoga California
    Full Name:
    Francois Henley
    Me too…!

About a month after I acquired my Dino #4486 in October 2022, the cable broke just down the hill from my home. I tied a nylon string to the throttle linkage and snaked it from the engine bay on the right and through the passenger window. Had the string rest on a soft cover to avoid paint damage.

Fun times driving the car to get repaired using that string for throttle…