Cam shaft end plate gasket install question | FerrariChat

Cam shaft end plate gasket install question

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, May 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    #1 Skippr1999, May 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've searched, but haven't found an answer.

When installing a new gasket, should these be installed dry, or should sealant be used in conjunction with the gasket ?

Cleaning up oil leaks. Any advice appreciated.

Skipp
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    Hi Skipp. Usually it's not necessary to put any sealant if the gasket are of good quality and the surface of the parts are perfect. With old cars it is more sure to put a little amount of specific sealant for gasket. This will give you a perfect insulation. The only problem is that if you will need to remove the part the gasket will be destroyed.
    For the cam shaft end it will not be necessary because the amount of oil that goes to the ends is very small. Regards, Alvaro

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I always use a clear silicone sealant used sparingly on all the seals.

The problem is the mating of two gaskets, the cam cover gasket and the end covers. Always fit the cam cover gasket with the ends about 10mm longer than you want, torque down the cam covers and then cut off the surplus with a sharp blade. Then fit the end gaskets.

Tony

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. My plan is to only replace the end cover gasket at this time. Just trying to stop the oil leak. I assume this will work ?

Also, what are the correct torque figures for the end cover nuts ?

Any other tips or insight appreciated.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Several sealants will work on that gasket. Yamabond and Hondabond are good and can be had at the respective motorcycle dealerships for around $10. Permatex Ultra Gray is another. Hylomar is one of my favorites but is sometimes hard to find at an auto parts store so I just order it on line. I only use enough to just wet the gasket. One good thing about using a sealer is the gasket will release if you have to take it off again. Without a sealer you usually have to scrape the old gasket off with a razor blade.

6. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    I did some research on your question before, Skippr and can second what has been posted already. The “official” instructions from the company that makes the material of our gaskets is to install them dry without sealant but as afer has posted this applies when you are installing new material. We always use a silicone sealant.
    You may also want to check if your covers are straight.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #7 Nuvolari, May 23, 2017
    In theory the gasket can be installed dry but in practice using a sealant is much more reliable given the production tolerances and accumulated porosity and other signs of age. I personally use Loctite 518 as it is an anaerobic sealant which eliminates any chance of a cured sealant blob working its way through the oil system and clogging an oil passage (it happens more often than you think). The Loctite product goes on very easily and overflow also wipes off well for a perfect assembly every time.

Also when choosing gaskets ONLY use the green Klingersil gaskets. No other gasket I have found seals as well or is as reliable. Gaskets are not the place to save a penny and insist on the best. I have found the Klingersil gaskets to be totally reliable.

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for your reply. I ordered the gasket listed at Superformance that is the thicker of the two 1.2 vs .8 ( I think). The photo color of the thicker gasket is not green though.

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Make sure you get the green gasket! if that does not scare you I'll tell you about an engine out that was required to fix a leak caused by a non-Klingersil gasket. There is a big difference. That said you can call Superformance to be sure because AFAIK all of their gaskets are green and just some of their website pictures need updating.

10. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    I second the Anerobic sealer. I personally use the Permatex Anerobic in the blue tube, but it is almost identical. We use it on the early cars all the time here, and I use it in my personal shop. I own the only vehicle that leaks oil worse than a vintage Ferrari, Vintage Harleys! Anerobic works amazing on drain plugs and threads as well!

11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks guys !!! I'll make sure.

12. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Any insight for the record of how much sealer you put on gasket ? Thick vs. thin ?

Both sides ?

Tighten nuts by feel like any others ?

13. patknapp14

patknapp14 Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    Menasha, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Patrick Knapp
    I put a thin bead of anerobic on both sides of the gasket. I also put a tiny bit towards the base of each stud. This prevents oil from wicking up the stud and leaking out the nut. As far as torque goes, "wrist tight" with a 6" long 1/4 ratchet is the best way to describe the way I do it!

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Locktite 518 and the Permatex in the blue tube are the same product.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The use of thick gaskets increases the chance of distortion of the end plate because the thicker material is more compressible.

I'd use a straight edge on the end cover and if required file it back flat. But be aware, after all these years the combined surface of the end of the head and valve cover may be a bit out of true as well, hence the glue. It is a case of thicker gaskets and tighter nuts not being to path to being oil tight.

16. bertspeed

bertspeed Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2009
    I agree with Brian. This is exactly what happened to me, and as the mating surfaces were not perfect I ended up adding a sealant in order to stop the leaks.

17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    As others I don't like silicone product close to the oil circulation system. I have used locktite 5922 with great success on all oil sealing gaskets. Ii is not silicone based. This is how the product is described:

"Loctite 5922 - Improves the sealing performance of old and new pre-cut gaskets

Your benefits

Improves the sealing performance of old and new pre-cut gaskets (paper, cork, felt, etc.)
    Slow curing paste
    Sets to a permanently flexible, non-hardening film
    Suitable for parts which require disassembly
    Application

On engine and gearbox. For sealing/dressing flanges with old and new pre-cut compression gaskets. Ideal for part assembly after repairs".

Don't get it on your fingers, it is a nasty black stuff that is very difficult to remove from skin.

Best regards Peter

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered the locktite 518 and the gasket is being ordered from the factory in Italy via Ferrparts. The green "K" type.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Peter, If you use silicone (or any other gasket material) the same as sealing around the shower tray then you will get problems.

Use it to just smear over the gasket is perfectly acceptable. ie a very thin coating so no excess bulges out

Best

Tony

20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You are right on that one Tony. I have used a silicone based sealer between the engine block and the gearbox (Blue Locktite #5926) and the trick is to know when you have applied enough to avoid creating a bulge of excess silicone that potential can break off and enter the lube system.

Peter

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Just so you know GT Car Parts in Arizona has all of the tooling for the gaskets and makes them from the correct green Klingersil material. Just be sure to specify that you want the Klingersil and they will cut gaskets to match.

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks Rob.

The correct gaskets and sealant came today. Is there a preferred method for separating the old gasket from the end plate ?

I removed the four nuts and washers, but the plate seams stuck on there pretty good and I'm reluctant to start prying things apart due to possible damage.
    I also suspect that the oil is just coming through the threads. As I took the nuts off, that seemed to be the place the oil was coming from.

23. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    #23 afer, May 25, 2017
    If you think the oil is coming through the threads the best solution is to use the washers you see in the picture (I don't know the name in English). This washers are with a rubber center that close inside the threads. For sure are the correct ones for the gearbox and valve cover.
    Alvaro

24. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    These are stat-o-seal washers.
    Useful if fixing a leak...

25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion. Would threadsealer do the same thing ?