Water Pump Rebuild Tricks | FerrariChat

Water Pump Rebuild Tricks

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2dinos, May 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I rebuilt my Dino water pump only to discover (of course) that the seal replacement face was poorly formed after re-install. Would have been easy to catch had I suspected a new seal could be delivered this way. So off I go, back onto the fun and repeat the rebuild. Nothing more fun than re-doing a job - right? Now, this one works perfect ---- for a while, then I start seeing intermittent leaking from the shaft weep hole. This means seal problem. So, before I go back in again, any tips or tricks to look out for? I know the seal face has to be perfect. The housing where the seal presses into must be clean, and un-pitted etc. The seal must be inserted perfectly square into the housing. The impeller must be pressed in so that the clearance from the housing is correct. Lastly, the impeller face which contacts the seal must be smooth, and true.

Now what else?? Can you get the seal from Ferrari, or wherever to get the best quality. Press the impeller back on during a full moon :)

Thanks!

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The original impellers were cast iron and were heat treated where the seal made contact. You could see the demarcation line of the heat treatment about 1/8" back from the face. Not sure what the replacement impellers are today. Someone made a batch without the heat treating and they leaked prematurely.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I dont know the seal design but the thing to check is if the rotating part of the seal can slide along the shaft. As the seal face wears the spring pressure on the rotating face should take up the wear, other wise the seal will be ok when fitted, it then wears and will leak if the wear is not taken up.
    Sometimes it can jam on the shaft and not auto adjust. Polish up with some wet and dry paper and brass polish, put some silicon grease on the shaft and re assemble.

4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you guys. I guess another good question is, which pump is your favorite? Brass impellor? Aluminum? Original?

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It is pumping water not gold dust so as long as it works.

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I hear you and couldn't agree more. Can you imagine going back in a fourth time? I'm going to be laughing like Woody Woodpecker. Just looking for successful experiences. If no issues with either, than I've just got a weird one, and hopefully, third time is charmed.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #7 pshoejberg, May 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I used a new aftermarket brass impeller (And a new shaft) due to severe corrosion on the original impeller seal surface (See picture). Also used a slight amount of sealer on the outside of the impeller seal before pressing it in place. Never looked back since. Good luck.

Regards Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you! Did you get the seal/bearing/impellor from Superformance?

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Looking back into my notes this is what I bought for the pump overhaul:

Impeller seal: Superformance: #24610005

Bearing / Shaft: Superformance: #24610010

Impeller: Dino Parts: #15-21

Today I would prefer to buy all components from same vendor to ensure fit, but back then I don't think the bras impeller was available from SF. DP carries a complete repair kit as you might know.

Best Peter