What to do? | FerrariChat

What to do?

Discussion in '206/246' started by brock328, Jun 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brock328

brock328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2011
    Niagara, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    3 years ago, almost to the day, I met a fellow regarding a Porsche 911 he advertised for sale, I thought we had a deal and then the deal fell through, oh well it happens. A further conversation ensued and from this conversation I learned he had another car he might consider selling.

So I asked what he had, “I have a Ferrari Dino” he replied, a 246 GT I asked, to which he replied yes a 72. I expressed interest in seeing the car and one thing led to another which eventually led to a whole series of challenges which took 3 years to overcome.

Today the Dino is in my possession, it is very rough and in need of a total restoration. Many parts are there, however, many parts are missing. I’m still assisting the brother sort through a lot of “stuff” hoping to find as many of the missing pieces as possible. We may eventually find almost everything since a significant amount of what I have found has been in close proximity to where the car has been stored. The challenge is many of the parts were at the PO’s house and since the property was sold and cleaned out, the parts from the house have been moved to another location which is intact but needs to be gone through and this will take more time.

My preliminary research is indicating that the engine and transmission are original to the car although not in the car at the moment, and the engine appears to be missing one cylinder head as far as I can see but the cylinder head cover is there. It looks like the PO was in the process of doing engine work while doing a restoration based on the manner in which the car is apart. There were two Pantera's in the collection and two Porsches as well as, I would guess, more than a dozen motorbikes, Harley's, Norton, BSA & Triumph that I saw.

Currently missing are the seats, dash, windshield and rear glass, both rear quarter windows. Also missing are front bumpers, (rears are there), toolkit (the jack is there), front and rear taillight lenses but the Hella headlamps are there, exhaust is missing as well as the mirrors. The wheels are on the car but the rubber is rotten, three tires hold air and the remaining is cracked and flat. There’s more I will uncover as I begin sorting and cataloging but a fair bit of work remains.

The car wasn’t stored in the best of conditions although for many, many years, possibly 25, it was indoors and out of the elements. The body is not bad but not great, some surface rust but the metal is still quite good, and the front left fender appears to have some filler in it. This Dino is in the registry, Silver over black vinyl with power windows and Cromodora wheels. Some of the original silver paint appears to be on the car.

Let’s just say the entire car requires a full blown restoration.

I’m not sure I have it in me to undertake such a project and I’m not certain I can do what will be required to determine “all” that is missing in order to determine what the needed parts will cost, then add the cost to re-build the drive line, cost of interior as well as body and paint etc.

I searched and found a thread started by "omgjon" specific to restoration costs, (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/399049-restoration-costs.html). It has been quite helpful as well as many other threads and sites I have reviewed, unfortunately it hasn't been updated in almost two years. Current costs for a full restoration are in the $200k range +\- depending on many variables.

I recognize the potential value of a completed car and with a matching numbers engine and transmission it makes it more interesting but still a major undertaking, at least for me. For someone who has the wherewithal perhaps not so daunting a task.

What would a project Dino be worth, I realize without photos and other details it's difficult to put an exact number on this, so I'm looking for a range?

Thanks for your input,
    Mike

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    A daunting task and not for the faint hearted, but you are best to look at the market rather than rely on words from those on here regarding values. Your eyes will be the truth.

Start with the parts manual and catalogue everything you have, most of the items you mention so far are available but originals come with a healthy mark-up.

I don't have any more repro tools as they are now all sold out.

Good luck

Tony

3. brock328

brock328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2011
    Niagara, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you for your input Tony,

I will search for the parts manual to assist me, I have been on the Eurospares site for some direction, which is helpful.

I may need to call upon a friend to help me identify the parts that are not so obvious.

Regards,
    Mike

4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm sure omgjon could bring it all the way back for around 200K.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Hey Mike I'm in Toronto and know a bit about Dino restoration. If you are interested PM me your phone number and we can talk about your project. Maybe I can even come have a look and let you know what I see.

6. brock328

brock328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2011
    Niagara, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Rob, I did call you three years ago shortly after I saw this car regarding the possible cost of restoration. It was early in my discussions with the seller and I didn't know it would take this long or if I would even end up with the car.

You were very helpful when we spoke and shared with me the experience you had with your restoration, it was around the same time your car was presented at Pebble Beach, if I remember correctly.

I may have talked with you at the Italian car day in Toronto last summer when you had your car there, what a stunning example of a Dino.

I am doing the initial research and cataloguing of existing and missing parts to gain more knowledge, but I am certainly in over my head on this project, this I know.

Thanks again Rob, I may reach out to discuss.

Regards,
    Mike

7. brock328

brock328 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2011
    Niagara, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks George, I'm hoping that "omgjon" will respond to my thread or get in touch.
    Regards,
    Mike