Door check | FerrariChat

Door check

Discussion in '206/246' started by cls, Jul 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What's the solution for keeping doors from opening too far?
    I have never seen a door check, or any evidence of one on a 246. However, my doors can open too far if swung open and chip the paint.

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2 cls, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Chris,
    Yes, these are the stops in the photo - no extra strap as it's cast into the hinge on the frame.
    It's unlikely to wear so it might be the door has been opened too far, caught in the wind and bent the hinge.
    The hinges are tricky since they are cast and each half is fully welded to the door and frame with no scope for adjustment except by bending or building up a layer on the face of the stop.
    I'd get a body shop to look at it or you could add some tape to the back of the frame side hinge for a temporary fix.

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    #4 pshoejberg, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    These stops are prone to wear and can be mig/mag welded and grinded into shape again to compensate for wear after years of use. I have attached a couple of picture of my old stops before repair and it is quite easy to see the wear specially on the car hinge side.

Best regards Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks guys. Helpful as always.
    I'll add a shim for now. The doors have to come off soon and I'll do a proper repair.