Blue Dino at Cooper Classics | FerrariChat

Blue Dino at Cooper Classics

Discussion in '206/246' started by JTranfield, Oct 14, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
  2. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    You cannot buy that, its the same color as your 308!

Then again, if you buy it you may have to sell the 308 back to me! Yea!

You going to Road Atlanta this weekend for SVRA vintage races?

Terry

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Listed at $135K on his website.

Nice car, needs some stuff, hell, you want a nice Dino I'll sell you mine for that number when it comes back from the bare metal respray this spring.

$135K is way big bucks for that car, low miles or not.

DM

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    do we know whatever happened to that pretty blue Dino GT that a (temporary) F-chatter from charlottesville, virginia owned for about 5 minutes? do we know where it went?

those blue dino GTs sure are pretty . . .

5. JTranfield

JTranfield Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    NYC, London
    Full Name:
    J Tranfield
    Terry, I am actually looking for a blue 246 to match the 308! Nuts I know but I love that colour.
    Waterpump just sprung a leak so am planing a few hours inside the wheelarch this weekend with maybe a quick trip to the local watering hole to restore my sanity.

6. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #6 djaffrey, Oct 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It never ceases to amaze me that pretty much every Ferrari I track (mainly 250's) are cheaper in the US than the UK except for Dino's. You seem to paya a premium over there for just that model. And don't get me started on the Dino keyring and tissue paper nonsense on eBay....

Why pay $135,000 for that car when you can have the one pictured below for $86,000.

Here's the cars description :

"Tan daytona seat in leather, restored in 1990, engine and gearbox rebuilt by Bob Houghton, original jack, toolkit, wheelchuck, perspex headlamp covers, warranty card and leather folder, superb example."

A finer mechanic than Houghton you couldn't wish to find.

Somebody want me to buy this car for them and ship it over ? Its tucked away in avery remote part of the UK. Pay me a small comission to cover my time and I would do it.....(I'm not joking).

Ahhh...one problem though its RHD. Still at that price delta do you care ?

Darren.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    love those daytona seats

8. ROADRUNNER3

ROADRUNNER3 Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2004
    LONDON
    Full Name:
    TIM SCOTT

Where is it for sale ? Do you know if any work's been done on the body ?

9. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I do not know the car first hand I just found it whilst searching for something else which I have moved ahead with. So cant tell you much about the bodywork.

When I spoke to the vendor the car was "at the shop" have some detailing done.

Cheers,

Darren.

10. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    wow very sleek, i likes alot

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the english car poses a problem when compared to the cooper car. first it is england, add shipping and import duty. second, it isn't in the same original state as the cooper car. i do believe the $135k figure is very aggresive, but where can you find an original, documented, extremely low mileage dino at all? this car won't be sold to someone looking for a fun ferrari, it will be sold to some ferrari collector who will pay a premium for the exclusivity of having one of the nicest original cars. look at what they old singer 74 dino gts sold for. it had 5k miles and was original. it sold for almost twice the standard asking price as a "normal" gts.

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Shawn.

It's not "ALL" original.

It's had a re-spray.

The interior door panels need work, as do the seats, and there's no guarantee that the motor, due to the low miles and lack of use, won't need a major overhaul. No chairs, US Spec GT, even with the low miles, tools and books, and almost original is not a $135K car.

And, despite the recent run up, I don't think most Ferrari buyers are looking for investor grade Dinos. They don't have the upside potential of many of the other lower production run Ferraris out there.

I've seen a couple of very nice #2 GTS cars offered at this number, and they haven't sold either.

Yes, it's a nice car, and no, I don't think it's the kind of car many investors are looking for.

Do you really think Dinos can run up another 50% in the next couple of years? I don't think there's that much room on 'em, but that's just me. The market would need that kind of movement to make this car an attractive deal at $135K.

DM

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    dave,

don't get me wrong. this isn't a $135k car. however, it is a better than most car. having said that, i think the price it stands on ebay now , $94k, is all the money in the world for thius car. would i consider payong $90+, it depends on mechanical condition, which i do not current;ly know. however, $135k i s just not going to happen unless someone comes along that can't live without THIS car.

14. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Agreed.

Just asked if it had smog equiptment on it, and they don't know.

So, the assurances that the car is all original make me a little nervous. If they know the car, it's not hard to tell if the emissions stuff is still there, right?

Agreed, $94K is all in on this particular car. But, I bet it goes to $100K before it's over.

Dave

15. scotgm

scotgm Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    95K for a 246 GT? I wouldn't even want a 10K mile car because I would be afraid to put miles on it!!! Are those wheels wrong? I don't see flares so they should be the regular wheels. This either rotted in a garage or had a disconnected odometer. It's nice, but not worth over 80 IMO.

16. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    Sorry! But isn't that a 74 Dino. The wiper arms and under-side nose valence are not 72. And the VIN #! I thought Dino VIN nos. ran 4 digits with a preceeding zero - 0XXXX with the last Dinos at 08XXX.
    Bill

17. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

It's confusing.
    Aren't they '72 front bumpers ? and a '74 rear licence plate lamp and rear bumpers ??

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Serial # 04866

1972 Dino

gotta dig the serial number out of the other stuff.

DM

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i do believe that this is a legitimate low mileage 72 car that was deliverd in 74. however, one must note the absence of the typical "original" stickers that one would see on such a car. the most notable being the sticker on the air box. i'm not saying this indicates anything, however, one would expect to see the original items in place.

20. Kliz

Kliz Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    This is very confusing! I still say the wiper placement is 74, the under-nose valence is 74 and the rear boot floor is 74. Now there seems to be confusion also re the Bumpers and the rear lic. plate light. Whatever! I feel encouraged that prices are going up giving me considerable headroom for further investment in my Dino.
    Bill

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the things that you note are not specific to a model year, simply changes that took place during production. if you look at the dino register, it tracks these changes and i think you will see this car isn't any great anomily.

one thing that is interesting is why did it take so long to sell from chinetti? i have to believe that this car wasn't simply sitting around for over two years before it sold.

22. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have been blessed of living not very far from Richard Merritt for the last 25 years and have heard on many occassions his tales of the days during the gas crisis when they couldn't give away new Dinos and Daytonas. that said, 2 years does sound like an awfully long time . . .

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

My dino was Mfg in Oct of 1972 and delivered to it's first owner in June 1974, according to the warranty card. So, it did happen.

DM

24. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I vaguely remember my local dealer having both a new 246 GT (so presumably no later than a '73, since '74 US cars were GTSs) and a '75 308 GT4 on the showroom floor at about the same time. Dinos and Daytonas often did sit around a while.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My blue '77 308GTB sat unsold until Summer 1980 per warranty book......

Ron Tonkin finally updated it with black front fender grills and a rear airfoil wing!!!

I suppose 'cuz it was blue! LOL! ;)