Nonfitting Dino front batchboard and repro issues | FerrariChat

Nonfitting Dino front batchboard and repro issues

Discussion in '206/246' started by Pantdino, Feb 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I got my Dino front moulding / batchboard from GT Auto Parts, and I'm afraid the fit is dreadful. The curve along the rear (upper) edge doesn't match my car it is too short vertically -- even with the new rubber seal there's a 2.5 cm gap between the bottom of the piece and the trunk floor along the entire lower edge. Part of the function of this piece was to keep the hot air coming thru the radiator out of the passenger compartment, and this repro piece will totally fail in this regard.

My second point is that on the rear (upper) portion of the original piece there is a horizontal lip of about 8mm that extends outward and overhangs the vinyl edging which covers the sheet metal edge. The repro piece, at least this one, has no lip at all. So no one who has ever seen an original piece will think for one second that this piece is original. I hate to beat a dead horse, but is it really better to have a new doesn't-fool-anyone repro piece than a cracked original one?

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I have a NOS batch board with a small 1.5" crack at one upper corner. I plan to use a little backer piece of plastic and some PVC cement or similar product to make the repair on the back side where it won't show. I think you would have to look hard and know the crack was there in the first place to see it.

3. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hmm. I have looked through my 246 parts/body/chassis book, and can't seem to find the "batchboard" that you guys are talking about. Photos? Reference to a part #?

Thanks -
    Mark

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    It is the plactic coverpiece in the front trunk/spare tire compartment that hides the brake booster and other unsightly things.

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Thank you.

Now, what about the inspection door with the captured screw/bolt that covers the brake fluid reservoirs? About 1/3 of my door is missing and I need to get a replacement. Any ideas?

Mark