Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari - Sponsored by Bradan

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11081  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM
of2worlds's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ON
Full Name: CH
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by F12KID View Post
Is this car originally blue? Pozzi?
That blue looks more like blu sera but is described as Indiana Blue. It does look wonderful in an understated way that the red cars could never be...
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #11082  
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 264
Currently at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 288.jpg (68.7 KB, 404 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11083  
Old 07-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oxford, UK
Full Name: Robert Westall
Posts: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc911 View Post
Just arrived in Melbourne, Australia last week. Now, apparently, part of the permanent Dutton Garage collection.
Which car is this (47649?) and what other cars are in the Dutton Garage Permanent Collection? Many thanks. Robert
Reply With Quote
  #11084  
Old 07-17-2017, 12:56 PM
F1 Veteran
Honorary
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossocorsa1 View Post
Currently at the Petersen Museum in Los Angeles.
55713.

Marcel Massini
Reply With Quote
  #11085  
Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 PM
joe sackey's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Full Name: Joe Sackey
Posts: 43,147
54215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W View Post
Which car is this (47649?) and what other cars are in the Dutton Garage Permanent Collection? Many thanks. Robert
I believe this Giallo GTO is 54215, originally red, met with an incident on the road in Japan, repainted Giallo by Carrozzeria Autosport of Bachelli & Villa in Italy.
__________________
www.joesackey.com
http://www.joesackeyclassics.com/sold/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joesac...in/dateposted/

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston S. Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #11086  
Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Brisbane
Full Name: Andrew Turner
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Massini View Post
Halford = 56193.

Marcel Massini
All clear now, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #11087  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:59 AM
Makuono's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Full Name: Ricardo
Posts: 322
Barn find...how cool is this? Another one came back from the dead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captura de ecrã 2017-07-19, às 08.56.29.jpg (64.7 KB, 264 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11088  
Old 07-19-2017, 02:36 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makuono View Post
Barn find...how cool is this? Another one came back from the dead.
OMG! Any more pics of it?
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #11089  
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Makuono's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Full Name: Ricardo
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by NürScud View Post
OMG! Any more pics of it?


You may check this instagram account:

http://instagram.com/sariniazy

There you will find other pictures from that 288GTO. Amazing the condition.... like a dusty time machine.


Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11090  
Old 07-19-2017, 11:34 PM
joe sackey's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Full Name: Joe Sackey
Posts: 43,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makuono View Post
Barn find...how cool is this? Another one came back from the dead.
It's a nice restoration project.

Meanwhile, on the other end of the scale, we have just closed a deal on a beautiful low mileage GTO that has been meticulously maintained for @ $2,900,000.
__________________
www.joesackey.com
http://www.joesackeyclassics.com/sold/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joesac...in/dateposted/

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston S. Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #11091  
Old Yesterday, 02:27 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,628
In the middle east every car looks like that after a few days, even brand new ones, especially after a sandstorm.

Quick wash and you would never know its the same car.
Reply With Quote
  #11092  
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
joe sackey's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Full Name: Joe Sackey
Posts: 43,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL500 View Post
In the middle east every car looks like that after a few days, even brand new ones, especially after a sandstorm.

Quick wash and you would never know its the same car.
This 288 GTO is going to require much more than a wash!

I have first-hand experience with cars which looked exactly like that whose condition has remained as such for many years.
__________________
www.joesackey.com
http://www.joesackeyclassics.com/sold/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joesac...in/dateposted/

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston S. Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #11093  
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Makuono's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Full Name: Ricardo
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe sackey View Post
This 288 GTO is going to require much more than a wash!

I have first-hand experience with cars which looked exactly like that whose condition has remained as such for many years.
Very much true. I have several years of experience in that area of the globe. Its amazing how hard the Middle East is with cars.

For that car to be in such dusty condition, it means it isn't (at least all the time) on a temperature controlled environment. In the Middle east, temperatures are frequently of around 50ºC in the Summer. Depending on the region you can have extreme low humidity (plateaus) or a lo of it - Gulf or Red Sea cities.

Rubbers, joints, painted elements, plus the usual stuff...I can't even imagine the amount of work and $$ to recover its initial beauty and mechanical efficiency again. And requires top notch professionals to do it.

Anybody know which serial# this is?

Last edited by Makuono; Yesterday at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11094  
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,628
I have lived in Qatar and Abu Dhabi, here are just two examples of cars which were fine but subjected to sandstorms for just a few days, people assumed they had been abandoned for a long time, which was simply not the case.

I agree heat and humidity will have had an effect on that GTO and just like any 30 year old car the rubber parts will not be in the best of condition, but that layer of dust is superficial, wash it away and the car would "appear" to be in very good order afterwards.

You can tell just by the paint on the oil filter that is its still like new, and there is little if any corrosion on the fuel rails, which are the first things to rust up in humid climates, same with the exhaust manifolds and bypass valves, they would be red rusty despite the dust.

I have seen F40s on here with claimed low miles and allegedly properly stored in far worse condition.
Attached Images
File Type: gif image.gif (168.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 18na928yhbne3jpg.jpg (42.0 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by PAUL500; Yesterday at 06:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11095  
Old Today, 01:27 AM
joe sackey's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Full Name: Joe Sackey
Posts: 43,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makuono View Post
Very much true. I have several years of experience in that area of the globe. Its amazing how hard the Middle East is with cars.

For that car to be in such dusty condition, it means it isn't (at least all the time) on a temperature controlled environment. In the Middle east, temperatures are frequently of around 50ºC in the Summer. Depending on the region you can have extreme low humidity (plateaus) or a lo of it - Gulf or Red Sea cities.

Rubbers, joints, painted elements, plus the usual stuff...I can't even imagine the amount of work and $$ to recover its initial beauty and mechanical efficiency again. And requires top notch professionals to do it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL500 View Post
I agree heat and humidity will have had an effect on that GTO and just like any 30 year old car the rubber parts will not be in the best of condition, but that layer of dust is superficial, wash it away and the car would "appear" to be in very good order afterwards.
Sorry Paul, I disagree, a wash will not rectify this car's condition nor render it in "very good order afterwards", that's my carefully considered professional opinion, and I'm sticking with it.
__________________
www.joesackey.com
http://www.joesackeyclassics.com/sold/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joesac...in/dateposted/

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston S. Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #11096  
Old Today, 02:16 AM
mechaniker's Avatar
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 361
After sitting for so long, You need a big amount of money to use it again.

Rebuild Turbos, new Fuel Injectors, overhaul Wastegate, Bell Housing, Brake System,... only to name a few.

And this stuff is extreme expensive, or partwise not obtainable.

But thats only my opinion...
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #11097  
Old Today, 02:17 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,628
I guess we have to agree to disagree then :-)

I have hands on restored many vehicles over the years, I would be over the moon to find one in the condition like that GTO.

My RS500 was a low miles example that sat in a collection in Japan unloved for nearly 20 years and was in a similar condition as those pics, after just a couple of weeks simply cleaning away the years of dust everywhere and a service it was invited to be displayed at the 25th celebrations of the cars at the Silverstone Classic in 2012 and is now owned by a chap who could buy 4 250 GTOs with just the cash he has sat in the bank!

I bet both the Enzo and 220 above are in pristine condition once again with new owners none the wiser!
Reply With Quote
  #11098  
Old Today, 02:23 AM
joe sackey's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern California
Full Name: Joe Sackey
Posts: 43,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechaniker View Post
After sitting for so long, You need a big amount of money to use it again.

Rebuild Turbos, new Fuel Injectors, overhaul Wastegate, Bell Housing, Brake System,... only to name a few.

And this stuff is extreme expensive, or partwise not obtainable.

But thats only my opinion...
Your opinion is 100 percent correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL500 View Post
I guess we have to agree to disagree then
Yes.
__________________
www.joesackey.com
http://www.joesackeyclassics.com/sold/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joesac...in/dateposted/

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is - Winston S. Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #11099  
Old Today, 01:37 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL500 View Post
I have lived in Qatar and Abu Dhabi, here are just two examples of cars which were fine but subjected to sandstorms for just a few days, people assumed they had been abandoned for a long time, which was simply not the case.

I agree heat and humidity will have had an effect on that GTO and just like any 30 year old car the rubber parts will not be in the best of condition, but that layer of dust is superficial, wash it away and the car would "appear" to be in very good order afterwards.

You can tell just by the paint on the oil filter that is its still like new, and there is little if any corrosion on the fuel rails, which are the first things to rust up in humid climates, same with the exhaust manifolds and bypass valves, they would be red rusty despite the dust.

I have seen F40s on here with claimed low miles and allegedly properly stored in far worse condition.
Τhat's a real shame. I think the Enzo was sold a couple of years ago. I remember that i've seen in the Miura thread that there was a Miura SV for a very long time (years) abandoned in the airport of Qatar or somewhere else in the Middle East and if i'm not mistaken it had to do something with Shah of Iran.

Maybe Mr Sackey could help a little bit.

Reply With Quote
  #11100  
Old Today, 03:14 PM
Ferrari 360 CS's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cape Town,SA
Full Name: Jacques
Posts: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL500 View Post
I guess we have to agree to disagree then :-)

I have hands on restored many vehicles over the years, I would be over the moon to find one in the condition like that GTO.

My RS500 was a low miles example that sat in a collection in Japan unloved for nearly 20 years and was in a similar condition as those pics, after just a couple of weeks simply cleaning away the years of dust everywhere and a service it was invited to be displayed at the 25th celebrations of the cars at the Silverstone Classic in 2012 and is now owned by a chap who could buy 4 250 GTOs with just the cash he has sat in the bank!

I bet both the Enzo and 220 above are in pristine condition once again with new owners none the wiser!
Yes, it could be cleaned and might look very good with an expert detailer but that doesn't change the mechanical aspects, would you want to drive a car which has sat for 20 years any reasonable distance without any mechanical work.

Cleaning will render it a display piece, restoration will bring it back to life, that's my opinion anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288gto-f40-f50-enzo-laferrari-sponsored-bradan/164148-ferrari-288-gto.html
Posted By For Type Date
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 209 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 02-17-2016 06:35 PM
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 289 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 02-09-2016 05:24 PM
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 14 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 11-11-2015 11:47 PM
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 333 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 10-20-2015 07:55 AM
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 236 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 08-20-2015 08:26 AM
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 82 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 08-16-2015 08:43 AM
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 203 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 12-05-2013 01:30 AM
FERRARI 288 GTO - Page 102 - FerrariChat.com This thread Refback 05-20-2013 12:20 PM
Collectors Resource | This thread Refback 01-19-2013 06:16 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.