F40 on fast and loud | FerrariChat

F40 on fast and loud

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Tokyo Drftr, Mar 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    #1 Tokyo Drftr, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    Saw a F40 on a preview of fast and loud, anybody know anything about this car?

2. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    The show description only says ferocious ford & fast ferrari
    Monday night 8 & 11pm
    It's a new eposdoe

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #3 SAFE4NOW, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  4. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Not sure if thats the car. The one in preview looked to be intact, but less wheels. Who knows, its in their neighborhood. Guess i'll watch it. Thanks

5. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    Guess you guys were right!

6. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just watched the episode. According to the show, it's this one:

Mechanic wrecks out-of-town owner's $500,000 Ferrari F40

The thing that blows my mind, is that they appear to buy it for $400k without doing any research.

If decent ones change hands for $750k or so, I can't see paying $400k for one that's this broken. I don't expect they will have a good time with this. I haven't seen how they fix it, but I don't think having "Gas Monkey" in your F40's resume is a selling point. Nothing against the guys on the show, but I'd want someone like Patrick Otis (ok, F40's are not his thing, but someone *like* him)

7. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    I don't get it either, theres no way to make any money on this, which is what Gas Monkey does. I can build some nice cars, but this is throwing money away. Roland had a F40 that was converted to a beautiful look alike LM and his car was viewed negatively by quite a few on this forum, how would a totaled F40 fare in this market. Gas monkey would need to get at least $750,000.00 to break even, remember they borrowed that money and Im sure their partner would like to see a decent return on his money too.

8. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Dennis is supposed to be their Ferrari expert and may have heard of it. It sounded like the seller mentioned it was a clean title but don't we know the vin? 400k seemed like a lot.
    It appears to need to put a ton of money in it and they already have a ton in it without turning a wrench.

If they get too deep in it, then Dennis will buy the car I bet(for what a good F40 is worth). He buys every big ticket item they get.

I recognized the places/people in the preview which is pretty cool.

I'm looking forward to next week.

9. moretti124guy

moretti124guy Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael Satterfield
    Just watched it, looks like another car the Gas Monkey guys are going to lose money on.

10. cabaynes

cabaynes Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Tonight was a mid-season finale (whatever that means)... so we might have to wait more than a week

11. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Most 'reality' shows are scripted, but this one takes the cake. No one in their right mind would have paid 400KUSD for this car. Having just helped a friend research one of the 211 US spec F40s, before he bought the car, I've seen some of the recent prices for parts and bladders. The car was just serviced and fuel bladders were done recently, the bill for all of that was well over 50KUSD. There is just no way this is even a 550KUSD car in perfectly restored condition. Unless, there is an enormous uptick in demand and 5,000 mile examples start going for over a 1MMUSD. There is at least 300KUSD worth of work that must be done to this car.

12. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    The whole front end is gone and some of those small pieces cost a ton of money as you said. They kept saying it's a 750k-mil car and I thought the average was less than 750 right now. This one is storied and requires a ton of work so there's no way they could hit 750k.

How much do you think that car would be worth if they fix it properly? I assume you know most of the history (miles, vin, etc)

13. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    So they are going to have a shill buyer from the network step in, purchase the car with well known frame damage & make lots 'o money?

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

:rolleyes:

14. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Hey, it's 'reality' TV it's completely real :D.

15. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hey, maybe they will put Air Ride suspension and chrome wheels on. This is silly you cant bondo the body together and have the Model weld on something.

Don't get me wrong I actually enjoy the show as this is the fourth one Ive seen, I know its entertainment but this has got Buyer Beware all over it.

16. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    To me the car should/could have been bought in the 200KUSD range and saved, but there is no way anyone is making money buying this car for 400KUSD. Even if you bought the car for 200KUSD it would have to be purely a labor of love as there would be no money to be made off the car. It's not as though the car is too far gone, several very valuable vintage Ferraris have been brought back from MUCH worse. Just look at S/N 0666. However, it's just not a money maker at a price anywhere near 400KUSD. One of the big problems with bringing a rebuilt F40 to the market after it's been restored is that there a lot of great cars available, in SuperCar terms the F40 market is really big. Just look at what the guy on ebay tried to get for 'FBI' F50, He is being laughed at, well for a number of reasons, but that's beside the point. He got serious offers for 400KUSD and turned them down, he should have taken one of those offers as they were on the high side. There are 56 US spec F50s and the high point in that market is over 1.25MMUSD. Quiet the disparity. Now look at this F40, it's in worse shape than the 'FBI' F50 was, in a market that's 4 times bigger. Tell me, what's it worth? I know what I would pay.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but what if the total he put in including buying the car was 400k? IMO then they could make money but only then.

18. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    According to the show they bought the car for 400KUSD, and now they need to rebuild it. More than likely they will outsource some if not all of the work, personally I would not buy an F40 restored by 'Gas Monkey inc'. There is more than 300KUSD worth of work that needs to go into the car.

19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    its a reality tv show, sure its real in reality LOL

near the end of the show they send to some shop to fix it

20. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Very good pooints. To break even they would have to ask what a good example would go for and there's no way they'll get that. Too many good ones out there to get a lot out of this.
    I think Dennis, the guy who paid for it, will buy it.
    They had a couple outside guys looking at it in the preview.

21. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    There is no way that car is worth $400K in that condition. That must have been the number they said for the cameras but no one in their right minds would pay that much for the car and still expect to make a profit from it.

22. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was watching that & discussing it with a pal on the phone. I was astonished when they bought it for $400k. I had thought I would be a buyer at near $300k (out of the labor of luv theory).

I was wondering the whole time if I was out of my mind - or if they were. That was a heck of a wreck but it seemed low speed.

Happy to see that most of us have the same mindset as I do.

23. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was watching that & discussing it with a pal on the phone. I was astonished when the bought it for $400k. I had thought I would be a buyer at near $300k (out of the labor of luv theory).

I was wondering the whole time if I was out of my mind - or if they were. That was a heck of a wreck but it seemed low speed.

Happy to see that most of us have the same mindset as I do.

24. 512BLU

512BLU Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Spring Texas
    Full Name:
    G F O
    That $400K price is way over stated. They paid significantly less for the F40. The shop owner (seller) wanted $200K before the Fast and Loud guys showed up. The highest offer at the time was only $80K. EVERYTHING on that car was destroyed. The producer of the show bought it. Before they showed up, I sent 20 DVD with detailed photo's to everyone who showed interest in buying it and $80K was the highest offer that came in. BTW the owner of the car who was in Europe at the time it was wrecked, watched the show last night....

25. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Does anyone know what the cast gets paid to be on the show? $10,000 and episode? $50,000? What?

If the bulk of their pay is off the show, then taking a loss on a big name car makes sense...